UR or NYU: Money Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisoneguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I would be happy at UR, but definitely want to get out and go to NYC and I would love NYU but,

NYU after four years would be 160,000 and UR would be 85,000 and I have 20,000 undergrad loans.

Would it be crazy to go to NYU? Though I would be more financially comfortable at UR, I've read location can really hurt your experience / success.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think I would be happy at UR, but definitely want to get out and go to NYC and I would love NYU but,

NYU after four years would be 160,000 and UR would be 85,000 and I have 20,000 undergrad loans.

Would it be crazy to go to NYU? Though I would be more financially comfortable at UR, I've read location can really hurt your experience / success.

Thanks!!!

Pick the cheaper. That's almost twice as cheap. Also don't forget the differences after interest etc... Low debt will give you more freedom when you get to the residency stage. A few docs I knew said pick the cheaper one. lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your experiences at UR would be quite different from being at NYU...

UR is pretty close knit, especially given the small city, cooler weather, and most clinical opportunities being based in one to two hospitals. It's very PBL-oriented and has great emphasis on the liberal arts and training physicians for academic tracks.

I would imagine NYU would be a bit less tight knit given the number of opportunities to do things all over nyc and people possibly having large social networks outside of school (it's nyc, everyone knows someone who lives in ny), less PBL oriented, and not as liberal-artsy as Rochester.

There's more to say here but I'm too tired and I don't want to speculate any further on what being a student at NYU would be like, but I know enough about Rochester to know the environment is pretty unique.

I say choose the cheaper school. The tuition difference is large. I think either school would provide you with the resources to get a competitive residency in the northeast if you work hard.

Thanks!!!

I don't know if location in itself can hurt your experience or success that much - sure, you might have less exciting stuff to do with your free time in Rochester, but unless you really don't like your classmates, the administration, your curriculum, etc. I don't think location would justify the additional 75k cost. On the other hand, if you did feel that way about the other factors, this is 4 years of your life and there are certainly considerations that are significant enough to sway you to choose NYU. NYU as an institution is also much larger and more widely recognized. In my opinion you can justify either school. 75k is a significant difference but you're going to be able to pay it off in the future regardless, though you might have to forego purchasing that dream house or car for a few years or such.