Urban Legends in ER Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Contadinella

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
long time, no write, but now I found a nice video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWVkNcsdN6c at, where else, Youtube. Another link for the clip http://http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1797753

It is about classic ER Urban Legends. And I thought, hey why don´t start a collection here at SDN.

Maybe we will get something other than that guy in a batman costume who broke his arm during roleplaying with his wifey or the two guys and the hamster.

My first, heard during a first aid class:

If you have a tide fitting motorcycle helmet and the visor is closed you shouldn´t sneeze your eyeballs will pop out or worse your head explodes.

And my dad told me, when I was a toddler:

If you remove the screw in your bellybutton, your behind will fall of? I am wondering, if those people with piercings in their bellybuttons were told the same and it is just a security measure to keep your ar... where it belongs.

Greetings

Conta

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Despite commonly accepted lore, SeaWorld will not CT your obese patient, nor will the Zoo. (Their scanners aren't good enough, and there isn't a radiologist who will read it.)

I know, because a colleague had our secretary call Busch Gardens to ask about a 700 pounder with a possible PE. (And they are affiliated with Sea World.)

This is one that has been populated by MANY sitcoms out there, and come to think of it, I wouldn't have a good answer should one of my buddies ask me....

"If someone has a concussion, should you NOT let them fall asleep for 18-24 hours post-concussion?"

Gut feeling is "no", but I can't back it up with a pathophysiologic mechanism. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
With CT scans, the chances of missing an intracranial hemorrhage are significantly lessened... the backup mechanism would be frequent neuro checks, ie, not letting the person sleep. Which is pretty cruel, really. Better to wake them frequently.

I extrapolate this as "don't let your drunk buddies just sleep for days without checking on them."

This is one that has been populated by MANY sitcoms out there, and come to think of it, I wouldn't have a good answer should one of my buddies ask me....

"If someone has a concussion, should you NOT let them fall asleep for 18-24 hours post-concussion?"

Gut feeling is "no", but I can't back it up with a pathophysiologic mechanism. Thoughts?

I always heard for 1-2 hours. Guessing someone's theory is wrong.

when I had a concussion (with a clean CT) my mother the ICU nurse woke me every 45-60 minutes. I hated her. And thanks to being 13 + disinhibited I apparently had an awesome vocabulary.

Despite commonly accepted lore, SeaWorld will not CT your obese patient, nor will the Zoo. (Their scanners aren't good enough, and there isn't a radiologist who will read it.)

I know, because a colleague had our secretary call Busch Gardens to ask about a 700 pounder with a possible PE. (And they are affiliated with Sea World.)

Someone should tell the people who write the board exams to change that damn question.

That video was hilarious - thanks.