Urban Underserved - Homeless etc...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nevadanteater

biochemical engine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm interested in working with any/all of the following populations:

Homeless/Uninsured/Undocumented
Injection Drug Users

Specifically in an urban/city setting. Both in the clinical and public health side of things. I'm applying next season and want to know where would be appropriate to find good opportunities within med school (or in the community) to pursue these interests.

I'm a west coaster (california resident), so I know the big ones out here and am more interested in the east coast...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second Wayne State. In addition, D.C. should have lots of opportunities, try GWU, Georgetown, Howard. I think Tulane and Morehouse have stuff along these lines, too. And I'm guessing NYU, Mt. Sinai, SUNY Downstate - anything in/near NYC - would have what you're looking for, also.

You can find plenty of undocumented/immigrant workers in smaller towns though; there are large populations in random small towns in Iowa (usually ones that have something like a meat-packing plant) and other places just in case you're not aware! Lots of farmworkers, too. U of Iowa has a good connection to an organization called Proteus that works specifically with farmworkers near the Iowa-Illinois border. I know there are a lot of farmworkers in North Carolina too, and opportunities to work with them abound. Hope that helps, and good for you for wanting to do this kind of work.

If you are a CA resident interested in working with the underserved, then i suggest you look into the UC Prime programs.

UCI-PRIME (emphasis in serving the underserved Latino population)
UCSF-PRIME
UCD-PRIME -(emphasis is on rural)
UCLA-PRIME
UCSD- Prime-Health inequalities

they are all highly competitive programs that require first gaining acceptance to the general UC medical school class, and then the actual program. They also require additional interviews during the application process.

good luck

einstein has a big social medicine/public health emphasis and a primo location for dealing with the urban underserved (the bronx). they also fund a lot of student research and activities, including 16k towards an mph anywhere you want.

Hey All,

I'm interested in working with any/all of the following populations:

Homeless/Uninsured/Undocumented
Injection Drug Users

Specifically in an urban/city setting. Both in the clinical and public health side of things. I'm applying next season and want to know where would be appropriate to find good opportunities within med school (or in the community) to pursue these interests.

I'm a west coaster (california resident), so I know the big ones out here and am more interested in the east coast...

Is there a particular reason you want to work specifically with these populations, or is it because saying so might help with the admissions process?

Miami, Miami, Miami!!!!!

Stick with the main campus and you will have all the diversity that Jackson Memorial has to offer.

Is there a particular reason you want to work specifically with these populations, or is it because saying so might help with the admissions process?

Lotsa premeds are into this sorta thing. A few will even still want it at the end of medical school. He asked his question in a direct and non jackassy way, no reason to be cynical.

hey! awesome to the OP--i am also interested in working with the group you described..homeless idu's/underserved in an urban setting with a specific interest in dealing with addiction/substance abuse issues...

i really had no idea where id have a chance when i started applying so i applied to schools indiscriminately. i think the programs mentioned above are awesome and would definitely second wayne state, schools in baltimore (have you seen the wire? hehe), and would prob add some of the schools in chicago, philly and cleveland and most definitely add ucla-drew(!!!!):D

also all the prime progs i think are awesome...and don't write-off davis cuz it has a 'rural' emphasis--if you are interested in substance abuse issues, and in working with an 'oft-neglected' community in dire need of outreach-based health care/services (which is how you could describe the homeless idu community), i found that the rural-prime program offers great opportunities/experiences and during my intvw i felt that they would be very supportive of my goals/interests.

also i think the uc's in general are great: i think la has a student run needle exchange and davis has a student run clinic that serves transgendered/IV drug users. also, ucsf, has a lot of people (faculty) interested/invested in that community (dont personally know the student involvement there) as well as cornell (google brian edlin), and ive seen yale school of public health people present at a lot of harm reduction conferences--again i dont personally know how involved the students are with these tho...for instance harvard has a division of addictions within the medical school as well as people at the kennedy school interested in injection drug use and various health/economic/policy outcomes etc...however when i was there i personally dint feel like there was strong student involvement/avenues to be involved at least at a medical student..but i could be totally wrong--this was just the impression i had when i spoke to first years...

at any rate i wish u the best of luck and i think that any urban setting will provide experience that you are seeking--again i am just someone who applied and will be starting med school--so i can only speak from the impressions i gathered during this process and not any first-hand experience...

:luck::luck::luck:

sorry i posted the same thing twice o_O!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lotsa premeds are into this sorta thing. A few will even still want it at the end of medical school. He asked his question in a direct and non jackassy way, no reason to be cynical.

Wasn't trying to be cynical. But if the OP decides to bring this up in an interview, they will challenge him as I did.

Where in california are you currently located?

Temple would also be great for this.

The medical school is located in an area that is full of this demographic. there are also tons of opportunities for service with the homeless. i remember my tour guide mentioning a van that they go out in with doctors to offer free treatment in the surrounding neighborhood.

Currently I'm living/working in san francisco. I work at a free medical clinic for homeless people. I also work for a naloxone distribution program run through needle exchanges as well as through the bupenorphine/methadone program at our clinic.

Reason 1. I like a challenge. I think medicine is challenging not because of the science, but the human side of things.
Reason 2. Why go through the trouble of becoming a doctor and NOT make a difference?
Reason 3. Homeless people are so cool. They have great stories.
Reason 4. I'm a liberal romantic idealistic *******.

I've been out of school for long enough to know that this is what I want to do.

UCLA Drew would definitely be good for reaching out to the urban underserved.

Jefferson has JeffHOPE - which are student run clinics that go out every week to a homeless shelter or a needle exchange center.

Pretty much any medical school in a major urban area will offer some kind of program that works with the homeless/underserved.

Currently I'm living/working in san francisco. I work at a free medical clinic for homeless people. I also work for a naloxone distribution program run through needle exchanges as well as through the bupenorphine/methadone program at our clinic.

Reason 1. I like a challenge. I think medicine is challenging not because of the science, but the human side of things.
Reason 2. Why go through the trouble of becoming a doctor and NOT make a difference?

Does one not make a difference anywhere else? Just beware that like every field of medicine, you are probably going to encounter more of the frustrating people who just continue to make bad decisions over the heart warming type. I've dealt with a lot of homeless people, and while there are certainty cool ones or ones with interesting stories, I would say it isn't that much different than the average population. I'm not trying to dissuade you in any way. It is a noble thing to do, but I've watched a lot of people that are reason number 4 go in and then get mutated into something else after having to give their 100th pelvic to the woman who hasn't showered for a month and throws feces at the nurses in some odd effort to get painkillers.

Wasn't trying to be cynical. But if the OP decides to bring this up in an interview, they will challenge him as I did.

I doubt they would challenge him simply for saying he wants to work with these populations. It's not a bad thing to be hopeful and optimistic...! I never got "challenged" for saying I wanted to work with impoverished rural communities in my interviews.

no shortage of that population here in Baltimore (either Hopkins or UMd). Lots and lots of poor, urban patients, no shortage of the homeless, and a high rate of IVDU (with a resultant high rate of HIV).

I chose to go Osteopathic and Nova Southeastern University because they offered a free MPH that could be completed during the 4 years of med school (I think they are the only school doing this). A few things that I didn't really see anyone mention that you may want to consider. Learning Spanish, if you don't already have proficiency, is key to working with most underserved/indigent populations. Also, if you aren't already aware the government has a program for persons of your mindset that completely pays for your education, the National Health Service Corps scholarship program. I would recommend trying to find a school that focuses heavily on public health, else the attitudes of your classmates may be difficult for you to stomach for 4 years.

Come see us in Baltimore. We have all the Homeless/Uninsured/IVDA you could ever want.

I 100% concur. Very few places in the country will afford more IVDA/homeless/uninsured than you will find here in Baltimore. Detroit has nothing on this city. For the person who suggested GWU/GU/Howard: give me a %&*!)(* break.

Just come and take a look. I guarantee you, you will not be disappointed. Except for the fact that you have to come to terms with the fact that people have to live this way.

Let me start by saying that it's incredibly admirable that you want to work with such a needy population, but in the spirit of the discussion (and hoping to offer you some wisdom as a newly minted MD) let me make a few points.

1. When you are weighing you options to apply/interview/attend I would HIGHLY encourage you not to get caught up on this one issue. If you allow it to be a factor have it be at the bottom of your list i.e. if you are chosing between two places that are otherwise equal. It's not that your interest isn't a good thing, but it is not something to use as measuring stick for medical schools.

1.5. Just as an example with some real places: if you were a Wisc resident and you could attend the U for cheap, in-state tuition you would be nuts to select an expensive private school just so you could be closer to more homeless people. It may seem like a big deal now but it's not worth an extra 100k in debt. Under no circumstances turn down a solid, cheaper school because there aren't enough IVDUs around it.

2. With respect, you don't know what you want to do with your medical career. My friend and I had our specialties picked out when we were applying. We ended up trading. Don't lock yourself down into this life just yet. If you want to work with homeless people you will have ample opportunity, but you may start day 1 of your third year and fall in love with ENT. I've seen it happen dozens of times -- "I never thought I'd love this."

3. You'll most likely find the science of medicine more of a challenge than the "human side" of medicine. 99% of us do.

Best of luck.