Urgen AMCAS coursework questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shpamme

status pages confuse me.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping to submit AMCAS today, and have some AMCAS coursework questions if anyone can answer:

1. if you don't report ethnicity/parents background/siblings background, does it reflect badly? my parents are both physicians but i didn't do so well in science as a undergrad, so i don't know how it would look to reveal my family background.

2. should you use the abbreviated course names on your transcript, or should you spell them out completely?

3. does physiology in college = health sciences or plain biology?

4. is it important to follow unit thresholds to determine freshman/sophomore/junior/senior status? or can you just say 1st year = freshman, 2nd year = sophomore, e.t.c.

thanks so much!

Also, I did BU MAMS, and I have some specific questions about how to classify the coursework:

1. it it "biology" coursework or "health sciences" coursework?
2. what's our "major"
3. is it "graduate" coursework or "postbacc" coursework

Members don't see this ad.

Shpamme said:
Hi, I'm hoping to submit AMCAS today, and have some AMCAS coursework questions if anyone can answer:

1. if you don't report ethnicity/parents background/siblings background, does it reflect badly? my parents are both physicians but i didn't do so well in science as a undergrad, so i don't know how it would look to reveal my family background.

2. should you use the abbreviated course names on your transcript, or should you spell them out completely?

3. does physiology in college = health sciences or plain biology?

4. is it important to follow unit thresholds to determine freshman/sophomore/junior/senior status? or can you just say 1st year = freshman, 2nd year = sophomore, e.t.c.
1. i think it is in your best interest to report the info because it may look like you're trying to hide something if you don't. but that's just my opinion
2. i spelled out the course names because i figured that was the only way adcoms would know what the course actually was. it was fine, no corrections were made on my AMCAS
3. physiology is classified as biology
4. i didn't follow the suggestions they had...i just wrote freshman for my first year, sophomore for second, etc. in the manual where they list suggested credit cutoffs, they also note that people who didn't do 4 continuous years of college should use those suggestions. since i just did my 4 years straight through, i ignored the cutoffs they suggested.