Urgent Care Doctor to Psychiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmonavydoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I completed an Internal medicine prelimeanry PGY-1 year (original desire of neurology) then worked for 4 years as a Navy GMO (Urgent Care doctor) as part of my military payback for a free med school education. Now that it is time for me to return to the civilian world and finish a residency I've decided on psychiatry and wish to enter a program as a PGY-2. Is this possible? I spent 4 years basically functioning as a nonresidency trained ER/UC doctor within the military setting and although going into ER FP IM or OCCMED Res would be alot easier and I'm primed for that type of work it is psychiatry that I love. Any input would be appreciated.

alina_s

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pscyh programs are 4 years but many have a few slots set aside for PGY-2's. All psych programs require at least 4 months of internal medicine/family medicine/pediatrics anyway, so a with a full year of internal medicine, you can finish in 3 years, although you've probably used up a lot of 4th year elective time. Psychiatry isn't one of the more competitive fields and even programs without slots set aside for PGY-2's may have openings.

leaf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, I've met a lot of people who switched into psych from other fields (including one guy who'd become a neurosurgeon on faculty at some pretty big places before making the switch), so it seems to me that psych is a field that understands and accommodates people who decide later in life that what they really want to do is psych.