Faebinder

Slow Wave Smurf
10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Pennsylvania
Status
Attending Physician
Could someone explain the difference for me in terms of a) who does what on the patients b) Hours of work (I know the ER).

Further... how urgent is urgent? Are you expecting to admit people to a hospital? Average waiting time to see the physician (your n=1 or 2 experience).

Thanx.

emedpa

GlobalDoc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2001
Taking an Away team....
Status
Post Doc
Faebinder said:
Could someone explain the difference for me in terms of a) who does what on the patients b) Hours of work (I know the ER).

Further... how urgent is urgent? Are you expecting to admit people to a hospital? Average waiting time to see the physician (your n=1 or 2 experience).

Thanx.
ER 1st:
hrs 24/7
pts by ambulance or walk in, all levels of acuity
staff: mostly em docs, with fp docs in some smaller er's, may have pa's or np's
wait time generally 1-4 hrs

urgent care:
hrs generally no more than 16/day although some may be open 24/7 this is more rare
pts arrive by walk in or drop off, so avg pt is lower acuity although mi's, cva's, significant trauma, ectopics, etc can present to urgent care centers.
avg wait time 0-2 hrs
staff: generally fp docs although some older er docs/surgeons/internists wanting to slow down work in this setting. many use pa's/np's as well

I have worked in many urgent care and er settings over the years. some urgent care centers see basically occupational med and minor primary care with rare transfers to the hospital while some are much busier in terms of transfers, etc
I worked at 1 uc where in a 4 yr period we transfered 4 pts. these were the only pts to have iv's started in that period.
I currently work a few shifts a month at a uc that basically functions like a level 4 trauma ctr. at any given time there are multiple iv's going and on avg 5-10 transfers to the local hospital er for further eval/admits per day out of maybe 70 pts/24 hrs. lots of cardiac pts/appys/ectopics/trauma. I have intubated and cardioverted there. I have stabilized and shipped multiple pts to level 1 trauma ctrs from there who have gone directly to the o.r.
. the local community unfortunately thinks it is an er as it is open 24/7 so when grandma gets chest pain or billy falls 10 feet out of a tree on his head they go there. we even have a trauma/code room right by the door like an er and it is used regularly.it is staffed by pa's 24/7 with an fp doc 8 hrs/day on day shift for double coverage.we have our own lab and xray. we have adult and peds trauma and code carts and 02 in most rooms.
hope that helps

OP
Faebinder

Faebinder

Slow Wave Smurf
10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Pennsylvania
Status
Attending Physician
Thanx... very insightful.

ntubebate

Country Doctor
10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Faebinder said:

Thanx.
Urgent care is pretty much primary care after normal business hours. Atleast in my area, the really sick people go to ER. If they call my clinic the nurse tells the true emergency cases to hit to the ER STAT.

ntubebate