• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Urgent Care?

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2002
Da South
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    What does Urgent Care entail and what type of setting would you find this in, if not an ED? A lot of people talk about "Urgent Care" as if it is a specialty. Any thoughts? Is this a sub-spec.?

BMW-

D

deleted6669

a lot of it is same day primary care in addition to minor ortho/surgical complaints. no special board is needed to work at most urgent cares, just a valid medical license as an md/do/pa/np. a lot of fp docs do this as well as burnt out em docs and surgeons.there are always some surprises though because a lot of folks don't know the difference between an er and an urgent care so lots of mi's, major fxs, major postop probs, major resp probs, ob emergencies etc walk in the door.
      I have intubated pts and worked up(and transfered to a higher level of care) more mi's, cva's, and surgical emergencies than I can count back when I worked in this setting.also lots of inappropriate drive up trauma too like the guy I saw from a bar fight with a screwdriver to the hilt in his neck......

BMW19

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Dec 19, 2002
      Da South
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Thanks for the reply. So I guess if you didn't quite want to go into EM, but still wanted to see some minor emergencies this would be a good setting.

BMW-

emedpa said:
        a lot of it is same day primary care in addition to minor ortho/surgical complaints. no special board is needed to work at most urgent cares, just a valid medical license as an md/do/pa/np. a lot of fp docs do this as well as burnt out em docs and surgeons.there are always some surprises though because a lot of folks don't know the difference between an er and an urgent care so lots of mi's, major fxs, major postop probs, major resp probs, ob emergencies etc walk in the door.
        I have intubated pts and worked up(and transfered to a higher level of care) more mi's, cva's, and surgical emergencies than I can count back when I worked in this setting.also lots of inappropriate drive up trauma too like the guy I saw from a bar fight with a screwdriver to the hilt in his neck......

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.