Urgent Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of residency must you complete if you are interested in working at an Urgent Care Clinic/Facility?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There are no requirements other than you have to have a medical license. However, most urgent care physicians tend to be EM, FP or Surgery trained - as I think these fields would be most useful.

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox
There are no requirements other than you have to have a medical license. However, most urgent care physicians tend to be EM, FP or Surgery trained - as I think these fields would be most useful.

Agreed. Although IM MAY be what some physicians do to work in urgicare centers, the vast majority would be EM/FP/GS. I do know of an anesthesiologist who started one (but does not work in one).

Q, DO

How come Urgent Care isn't more popular? From what I understand, the hours are fairly regular. The pay is on par with FP and IM. You can see a variety of cases and treat many minor emergencies. Could someone please shed some light on to why this field isn't more popular?

Hmmm...,presumably you mean why isn't working at an Urgent Care center more popular?

Although my EM colleagues are undoubtedly better positioned to answer this, I would imagine the repetition of the work would play a factor.

For example, Urgent Care centers may be less attractive as a "career" (rather than simply moonlighting on occasion) to EM physicians because they don't draw the very acutely ill as does a full-fledged ER. You will spend your shifts seeing patients with cholecystitis, diverticulitis, gastroenteritis, small cuts, lumps and bumps, chest pain, etc. If that's your thing, all the well...but if you're craving trauma, critically ill patients, etc. you don't want an Urgi Care Center job.

In addition, many people are drawn to FP and IM because of the continuity of care - an insignificant factor in Urgent Care practice (excepting the frequent flyers).

There are those who seek moonlighter hours at Urgi Care centers because the pay is pretty good, but I suspect is it less desirable for the reasons above (amongst others).