Urgent Decision! KCUMB vs NOVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NSU-COM vs KCUMB

• Total voters

cute_turtle

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI Guys. I need to make an urgent decision. NSU-COM Vs KCUMB. I need to drop one seat in next few hours. At this point, I am strongly deciding to go to KCUMB because A. it is about 9k cheaper and B. I believe curriculum might have slight advantage over Nova (I do think preparation for boards is ultimately up to you, so not sure about the advantage of the curriculum??). if you were in my shoes what decision you will make and why? any advise and suggestion is appreciated. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the cheaper school unless the beach is worth it to you. You're learning the same stuff at any school. Board scores are largely dependent on the student.

Reactions: 3 users
Can't lose going to either school but my vote is kcumb

NOVA has more required rural clerkship in 4th year and higher COL

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Make a list of pros and cons. Look up some information on their curriculums and figure out which one is more your thing. Do you like BBQ or do you like seafood? Do you like year long summer or do you like seasons, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
thank you guys, I did make a list of pros and cons, both schools are highly comparable and I read almost every post about KCUMB vs NSUCOM. I love the idea of the beach however on a long run 9k is significant enough for me to choose KCUMB. I am slightly concerned about clinical years at KCU as I think NSU does have a stronger rotation/affiliation sites and most are in florida.

The area you go to medical school in can influence (to a degree) where you match for residency. When I applied for residency, I do feel like programs consider location as one factor in the decision to rank. Even when I applied, I feel like programs in my region were quicker to offer me interviews. It doesn't dictate it 100% of course, but I do feel like it plays a part. Plus, you may do clinicals/auditions in the area of your medical school and get more exposure/facetime to those residencies. Im doing residency not too far from my medical school, and our match list had a lot of people stay in that region.

something to consider if you're more into staying in the Florida area or Kansas.

The area you go to medical school in can influence (to a degree) where you match for residency. When I applied for residency, I do feel like programs consider location as one factor in the decision to rank. Even when I applied, I feel like programs in my region were quicker to offer me interviews. It doesn't dictate it 100% of course, but I do feel like it plays a part. Plus, you may do clinicals/auditions in the area of your medical school and get more exposure/facetime to those residencies. Im doing residency not too far from my medical school, and our match list had a lot of people stay in that region.

something to consider if you're more into staying in the Florida area or Kansas.

I am a FL resident and I spent some time in KS. It's that really a tough choice?

As a far as Nova vs. KCUMB, it's really a tough choice because I heard KCUMB is also a good school. I am familiar with Nova so I think the two schools might be on par academically based on what I have read in this site, but location gives Nova a big edge IMO.

thank you guys, I did make a list of pros and cons, both schools are highly comparable and I read almost every post about KCUMB vs NSUCOM. I love the idea of the beach however on a long run 9k is significant enough for me to choose KCUMB. I am slightly concerned about clinical years at KCU as I think NSU does have a stronger rotation/affiliation sites and most are in florida.
You should definitely consider that and research opportunities if you are thinking about competitive specialties...

Go to KCUMB. 9K / year is significant and cheaper school is almost always the better choice.

As a current Nova student, KCUMB. Although, MD > any DO

As a current Nova student, KCUMB. Although, MD > any DO
thank you for your input. Can you please provide me reasons why you say KCUMB over NOVA, considering that you are NSU student. Your input is highly appreciated. (feel free to inbox me if you don't feel comfortable writing in open forum).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are seeing Nova opening a branch campus and an MD school the last I heard so you might see a squeeze on rotation sites/quality

You are seeing Nova opening a branch campus and an MD school the last I heard so you might see a squeeze on rotation sites/quality
Doubtful since the Clearwater campus possibility wouldn't affect class of 2021. Additionally, KCU's new campus has 100+ more students than Nova's MD class, so the rotations thing doesn't hold up.

KCU also has the new HCA partnership which might help in rotations. But again as far as that benefiting the 2021 class? Who knows
I have serious doubts it will benefit them. I think we already have many many preceptors in the HCA system but this new official partnership is to basically "protect" it from UMKC and KU (not that either of these schools are salivating to get these spots anyways). The development of GME with them is gunna take some time.

Doubtful since the Clearwater campus possibility wouldn't affect class of 2021. Additionally, KCU's new campus has 100+ more students than Nova's MD class, so the rotations thing doesn't hold up.

Extremely dishonest post. There is a massive rotations squeeze in South Florida. Nova is not the only medical school in this area. There are now two MD schools, an up-and-coming MD school, an old and well established MD school, a branch campus of that school, and at least one DO school. That does not include the Caribbean students who ALSO rotate in this very same area. In fact SGU is opening a residency program at a hospital, Jupiter Medical Center, on top of paying $1000 per week for that hospital to take it's medical students.

I strongly suggest that you not respond if you do not have the facts.

edit: I did not even include LECOM students, random students from Maine who also rotate in the area for some reason, and the possible branch campus.

Go wherever you see yourself being happy for the next 4 years. Nova has rotation sites in south Florida, central Florida, NY and a few other states I believe. They do require 2 months of rural rotations 4th year however that didn't hinder anyone in my class from matching where they wanted too. Nova also has a wide alumni base which I found helpful during my 4th year and for my future fellowship Match. Sometimes who you know is more important than what you know. Best of luck to you and congrats on Med school. Getting in is the hardest part!

I know I'm in the minority, but I would pick Nova>KCUMB but both are great schools.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not 100% if someone mentioned this already, but where you want to end up in residency/life beyond is something to consider as well. South FL and Kansas City are two of the most different places you could pick between.

Each school is going to have issues. Each school will most likely get you through. But when all is said and done, I'd rather be at the beach than be stuck in Kansas/Missouri for 4+ years.

I'm not 100% if someone mentioned this already, but where you want to end up in residency/life beyond is something to consider as well. South FL and Kansas City are two of the most different places you could pick between.

Each school is going to have issues. Each school will most likely get you through. But when all is said and done, I'd rather be at the beach than be stuck in Kansas/Missouri for 4+ years.

Funny enough KCUMB sends some of their students to south Florida for rotations (me included) lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Extremely dishonest post. There is a massive rotations squeeze in South Florida. Nova is not the only medical school in this area. There are now two MD schools, an up-and-coming MD school, an old and well established MD school, a branch campus of that school, and at least one DO school. That does not include the Caribbean students who ALSO rotate in this very same area. In fact SGU is opening a residency program at a hospital, Jupiter Medical Center, on top of paying $1000 per week for that hospital to take it's medical students.

edit: I did not even include LECOM students, random students from Maine who also rotate in the area for some reason, and the possible branch campus.
There is no rotations squeeze in south FL. I can count 25+ major hospitals (300+ beds) in the tri-county area (Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach). 6+ million of people live in these 3 counties... Jupiter is a community hospital that is at least 1hr15 drive from Nova, so not sure about its relevance to this conversation.

Well, you guys share that city... Nothing different from the other side of the river.
KCU is in Missouri so either way AS is more correct.

Turtle, I hope you found the school that will best suit you. A fine decision regardless. Congratulations.

There is no rotations squeeze in south FL. I can count 25+ major hospitals (300+ beds) in the tri-county area (Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach). 6+ million of people live in these 3 counties... Jupiter is a community hospital that is at least 1hr15 drive from Nova, so not sure about its relevance to this conversation.

Okay.

KCU is in Missouri so either way AS is more correct.

Turtle, I hope you found the school that will best suit you. A fine decision regardless. Congratulations.
I agree that both schools are fine, but people should not downplay location in the process when both schools are somewhat 'equal' academically. I am attending a MD school in a small city and the traditional students can't wait to get out...

Erm it's not a dishonest post...I wasn't lying.

I was simply responding to the assertion that 50 more Nova students will take away more rotation than 160 KCU students. I don't know of the situation there, but it's pretty tight at KCU as well. There's two stronger medical schools in the same small city and also Carib school I've heard has rotation spots here bought out. Basically if you come to KCU, you're more likely to end up in another state for rotations than MO.

To the other poster: the administration at KCU confirmed that the HCA will not be affecting the students directly for many, many years. That includes class of 2021. They have to start up residency programs from scratch, and then give it 2-3 years before throwing in med students. That's what was told to those who were interested in knowing.

But the first 2 years has be done in KS...

It's done in relatively well developed medium sized city. I actually really like it here tbh despite being from one of the largest cities in the country.

KCU, they allow for 6 months of elective (read: audition) rotations during 4th year. Coming from a DO school this is important, NOVA has mandatory 4th year rural requirements and if they fall in the middle of audition season then you are simply SOL.

Reactions: 4 users
We've had excellent residents from both schools including chief residents (ACGME EM program). Students at both are well-prepared for residency. Trust your gut, clinical training is probably most important factor (trumps $$- which U can make later), and location unless u have strong family reasons for one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Oh! Didn't realize the KCUMB has Florida for rotations. However, my overall point was that I would imagine residencies (particularly traditional ACGME programs) in the Midwest are much more open to/familiar with KCUMB grads, and UF, Miami/Jackson, USF, etc. are more open to/familiar with Nova.

Thus, staying in the general area would be much easier.

Oh! Didn't realize the KCUMB has Florida for rotations. However, my overall point was that I would imagine residencies (particularly traditional ACGME programs) in the Midwest are much more open to/familiar with KCUMB grads, and UF, Miami/Jackson, USF, etc. are more open to/familiar with Nova.

Thus, staying in the general area would be much easier.

No doubt, local programs are more familiar with NOVA. But about 80 KCU students are in Florida each year ( between years 3 and 4). There's probably some degree of exposure too since many probably do aways at larger centers in the area.

Thank you everyone for your input. I can't help but salivate over palm beaches and sunshine. ( lol) Of course, I could see myself living in florida, not to mention nsu campus is one of the most beautiful campuses I have ever visited. I did my research, I spoke to both students from both schools. Both schools have its pros and cons, both are highly comparable (9K is for location difference ). There are so many variables to make an educated /calculated choice for either one. As of right now still leaning towards kcu, but I am running out of time.

Thank you everyone for your input. I can't help but salivate over palm beaches and sunshine. ( lol) Of course, I could see myself living in florida, not to mention nsu campus is one of the most beautiful campuses I have ever visited. I did my research, I spoke to both students from both schools. Both schools have its pros and cons, both are highly comparable (9K is for location difference ). There are so many variables to make an educated /calculated choice for either one. As of right now still leaning towards kcu, but I am running out of time.

Go with your gut feeling. Generally it's leading you the right direction!

KCU, they allow for 6 months of elective (read: audition) rotations during 4th year. Coming from a DO school this is important, NOVA has mandatory 4th year rural requirements and if they fall in the middle of audition season then you are simply SOL.

This!! Nova was my dream school but after an acceptance, I turned it down due to this reason. This is huge.

This!! Nova was my dream school but after an acceptance, I turned it down due to this reason. This is huge.

Although it is irritating it's definitely not the end of the world. However if your not smart about your audition rotations it can cause you some problems. Again I'm not sure this should be the deal breaker if you are looking for one. I lived through it and made it just fine. My rurals were September / October as well.

Although it is irritating it's definitely not the end of the world. However if your not smart about your audition rotations it can cause you some problems. Again I'm not sure this should be the deal breaker if you are looking for one. I lived through it and made it just fine. My rurals were September / October as well.

For many specialities you will be fine. However, I have seen more than my fair share of people aiming for hyper competitive specialities saying they shot themselves in the foot for not knowing how many aways they had. Still would weigh it in the decision making.

Last edited:
Where did u have to go for rural in Florida? and is it only for two months?

Agreed. I will be turning Nova down largely for the same reason despite really feeling like I hit it off with their students and loved the campus.