Urgent: Dental School Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where we can find a reliable source of US dental school ranking?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

why is this so urgent?

besides there's no official ranking of dental schools.

the only ranking is what people think the ranking should be and of course everyone says their own school is up there. lol

I have to make my decision soon because I am accepted at a few schools. I have already talked with the people in the school and now I want to know their rank so that I can make the right decision. So far, I can only find school ranking from ppl's thoughts but none from official magazines like Maclean.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to make my decision soon because I am accepted at a few schools. I have already talked with the people in the school and now I want to know their rank so that I can make the right decision. So far, I can only find school ranking from ppl's thoughts but none from official magazines like Maclean.

look at average DAT scores and GPAs of accepted applicants...also look at reputation...focus...location...etc...make ur own rankings based on wahts most important to you...its not like a dentist who graduates from a place like harvard is better than one who graduates from a state school simply because of the name...its what you learn and what you put into it...youll probly learn the most and do the best at a place youd enjoy being in making you the best overall dentists in the end...think of it that way

look at average DAT scores and GPAs of accepted applicants...also look at reputation...focus...location...etc...make ur own rankings based on wahts most important to you...its not like a dentist who graduates from a place like harvard is better than one who graduates from a state school simply because of the name...its what you learn and what you put into it...youll probly learn the most and do the best at a place youd enjoy being in making you the best overall dentists in the end...think of it that way

amen.

Does anyone know where we can find a reliable source of US dental school ranking?

Thanks!

There are none- good luck with your decision

http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/programs/information.asp

scroll down to were it says "Dental School Rankings" and there is the ENTIRE ranking in order from bestest to just ok.

That's what it says:

Dental School Rankings Dental school applicants should be aware that there are proprietary publications available that purport to rank dental schools according to the quality of their programs. The American Dental Education Association and the American Dental Association advise applicants to view these rankings with caution. The basis for the rankings are questionable, and even those individuals most knowledgeable about dental education would admit to the difficulty of establishing criteria for, and achieving consensus on, such rankings.
All U.S. dental schools are accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation, and all have their relative strengths. A dental school ideally suited to one applicant might not be appropriate for another. The American Dental Education Association and the American Dental Association recommend that applicants investigate on their own the relative merits of the dental schools they might wish to attend.

Do you want to do research? do you like pbl or lecture learning? do you want a strong clinical focus? how is the patient pool at each school? do u like big cities or small? laid back or not? sufficient resources for studying? do you have a sig other to worry about finding a job? do you want 4 years of clinic/coursework or 2 and 2? when do u take the boards? how well do they prepare you for boards?

you really should make ur decision on what is important to you, not what is important to the person who made the ranking. there are way too many factors that can be considered.

Thank you so much for all your replies. I guessed that there is no official guide that rank the diff. schools. It's really up to what I really want from the school. I heard that BU has very big class sizes and I wonder how well they prepare students for the board exam. I actually have a ~70% undergraduate average and I am worried about struggling in large classes like the ones at BU.

Thanks! Looking forward to all your replies.

Thank you so much for all your replies. I guessed that there is no official guide that rank the diff. schools. It's really up to what I really want from the school. I heard that BU has very big class sizes and I wonder how well they prepare students for the board exam. I actually have a ~70% undergraduate average and I am worried about struggling in large classes like the ones at BU.

Thanks! Looking forward to all your replies.

How do you get into many schools and yet be such a noob

No offense but Wow thats one of the dumbest things i have seen on SDN.

................WOW!

How do you get into many schools and yet be such a noob

+1

No offense but Wow thats one of the dumbest things i have seen on SDN.

................WOW!

+1

No offense but I think you are a total jerk. The OP was asking nicely for some information. If you don't have anything to contribute, just don't post anything at all. BTW which school will you be attending? I feel bad for your future classmates.