URGENT: Did I not fulfill a one-year biology prerequisite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheEugenius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize for having made use of the 'urgent' label, but I need to figure this out ASAP.

I go to a Canadian university and have applied to American schools. Most American schools ask for a “one-year sequence of general biology with labs”. In my school, I have taken a first-year biology course that involved a laboratory component. This course was required in my first year. However, this was only a half-year (one-term) course. I took another general biology course (that was required by my program to be taken in first year) in my second term, but this course did not have a laboratory component.

In second year, I took biochem and microbio courses with lab components, but many schools do not consider these as “general biology”. They often exclude anatomy, microbiology, and physiology. However, I also took a second-year course called “Living Systems Laboratory”, which was focused on laboratory work involving all sorts of biology. I will also be taking a third-year course called "Laboratory Methods in the Life Sciences" which is just a continuation of that course.

My university does not offer a one-year sequence of general biology courses in which both courses have laboratories.

Does that mean that schools looking for a year of general biology courses with laboratories will reject me? Should I send them emails explaining the situation?

Thanks

Edit: I guess I should mention that I have received a score of 129 in the biology section of my MCAT exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I apologize for having made use of the 'urgent' label, but I need to figure this out ASAP.

I go to a Canadian university and have applied to American schools. Most American schools ask for a “one-year sequence of general biology with labs”. In my school, I have taken a first-year biology course that involved a laboratory component. This course was required in my first year. However, this was only a half-year (one-term) course. I took another general biology course (that was required by my program to be taken in first year) in my second term, but this course did not have a laboratory component.

In second year, I took biochem and microbio courses with lab components, but many schools do not consider these as “general biology”. They often exclude anatomy, microbiology, and physiology. However, I also took a second-year course called “Living Systems Laboratory”, which was focused on laboratory work involving all sorts of biology. I will also be taking a third-year course called "Laboratory Methods in the Life Sciences" which is just a continuation of that course.

My university does not offer a one-year sequence of general biology courses in which both courses have laboratories.

Does that mean that schools looking for a year of general biology courses with laboratories will reject me? Should I send them emails explaining the situation?

Thanks

Edit: I guess I should mention that I have received a score of 129 in the biology section of my MCAT exam.
For the vast majority of schools, you have until the day of med school matriculation to complete all their prerequisites. Considering that your school doesn't offer a full year of Gen Bio with Labs, you'll need to call each school (or email if it's not really "URGENT"), describe your situation, and ask if one of the other Bio labs you've taken can be substituted (it would be a good idea to get their confirmation on an email if they say yes). If not, you can consider taking the second lab at a local community college instead of at your university. An online lab is not an option for MD schools that have this prerequisite.

For the vast majority of schools, you have until the day of med school matriculation to complete all their prerequisites. Considering that your school doesn't offer a full year of Gen Bio with Labs, you'll need to call each school (or email if it's not really "URGENT"), describe your situation, and ask if one of the other Bio labs you've taken can be substituted (it would be a good idea to get their confirmation on an email if they say yes). If not, you can consider taking the second lab at a local community college instead of at your university. An online lab is not an option for MD schools that have this prerequisite.

I actually think this is pretty low risk issue.
1) OP took full general bio sequence at school. Its not you skipped it; it simply wasnt offerred
2) OP has additional lab work that could compensate akin to AP course substiution
3) it is reasonable to approach schools to waive this for specific situation
4) plenty of time to get additional lab if need be

Thank you for responding.

Here is a screenshot of the prerequisite courses for one of the schools to which I have applied:

upload_2018-9-23_18-51-11.png

It mentions that they want applicants to have taken these courses in order to be considered (which I assume, is not the same as matriculation). I am also not sure what is meant here by "as required by your undergraduate college/university".

Additionally, the school mentions something about AP credits and upper division science courses in the bottom paragraph. I'm not quite sure what is meant by that since, as far as I know, most Canadian schools don't have AP credit courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a screenshot of the prerequisite courses for one of the schools to which I have applied:

View attachment 240053

1) It mentions that they want applicants to have taken these courses in order to be considered (which I assume, is not the same as matriculation). I am also not sure what is meant here by "as required by your undergraduate college/university".

2) Additionally, the school mentions something about AP credits and upper division science courses in the bottom paragraph. I'm not quite sure what is meant by that since, as far as I know, most Canadian schools don't have AP credit courses.
1) For this school, you're fine, as you've completed the first year Gen Bio with lab (note: it's not plural) available at your school. And I agree, this school wants all the prerequisites done before application, rather than prior to matriculation.

2) It means that if your HS offered AP Physics, and you took the test with a score high enough to receive college credit from your university, that you'd be expected to either take Physics again at the college level, or to take advanced (higher level) Physics instead, because the AP credit alone doesn't fulfill their requirements (like it does at many other med schools).

Reactions: 1 user
1) For this school, you're fine, as you've completed the first year Gen Bio with lab (note: it's not plural) available at your school. And I agree, this school wants all the prerequisites done before application, rather than prior to matriculation.

Looking at MSAR, they seem to want 8 credit hours of general biology, which as far as I know, includes two terms of biology and a laboratory component in each one of those two terms. The semantics of their prerequisite list is a bit ambiguous; I will give them a call to see what they mean.

Looking at MSAR, they seem to want 8 credit hours of general biology, which as far as I know, includes two terms of biology and a laboratory component in each one of those two terms. The semantics of their prerequisite list is a bit ambiguous; I will give them a call to see what they mean.
Good plan. Let us know what they say, considering your special situation.

Good plan. Let us know what they say, considering your special situation.

I called them today. I spoke on the phone with a nice lady, but she was not quite sure about it since it's a weird case. She said that my application "should be fine" since my school does not offer a full-year general biology sequence with labs in both half years, but I am still not certain as to whether or not my application will be considered. She also mentioned that the prerequisites should be taken before matriculation, so that gives me some hope. If I get accepted to this school, I'll most likely take the course in another university before matriculation.

I asked her if I could send an email to the school's admission office confirming our call and stating what she told me, and she said that would be okay. Should I do this?

I called them today. I spoke on the phone with a nice lady, but she was not quite sure about it since it's a weird case. She said that my application "should be fine" since my school does not offer a full-year general biology sequence with labs in both half years, but I am still not certain as to whether or not my application will be considered. She also mentioned that the prerequisites should be taken before matriculation, so that gives me some hope. If I get accepted to this school, I'll most likely take the course in another university before matriculation.

I asked her if I could send an email to the school's admission office confirming our call and stating what she told me, and she said that would be okay. Should I do this?
It's good to save documentation, which a phone call cannot provide. Hopefully, you got the lady's name?

It's good to save documentation, which a phone call cannot provide. Hopefully, you got the lady's name?

I did get her name. How should I word the email? Should I send an email explaining my situation like I did in the OP and state that I was told by their admission office that there should be no issue because my school does not offer a one-year biology sequence with a lab in both half years of that sequence?

Although I don't want to annoy this school, as I have already called them twice today (the second time regarding another issue, but the lady who answered recognized me), this issue has been bugging me.

Additionally, I wouldn't want to say something that might lower my chances at this school.

I also need to talk to other schools with which I have this same issue, so I'll be keeping the thread up to date with this situation.

Thanks for helping me out

Last edited:
I did get her name. How should I word the email? Should I send an email explaining my situation like I did in the OP and state that I was told by their admission office that there should be no issue because my school does not offer a one-year biology sequence with a lab in both half years of that sequence?
-Summarize your situation and what your school offers, with the semester credit hours for a year of Gen Bio.
-Express that you are concerned they won't consider you since your school doesn't offer what they require, and might they waive the requirement in your situation.
-Include a screenshot of their website like you did here.
-Ask if cannot be waived, might one of the other labs you've taken be substituted.
-List the other labs you've taken (with credit hours).
- If the above options are not possible, do they have another suggestion?

Be succinct. Use fewer sentences than I did.

I'm actually in a similar position. At my university, non-chemistry majors usually only have access to a 1st-year physical chem course (with lab) and a 2nd-year physical chem course (with NO lab). Therefore, unless if we take specialized upper-year chemistry courses, we're unable to fulfill the typical requirement of TWO intro gen chem courses that both have labs.

I have not contacted any of the schools about this, nor did I include this in any of my secondaries. Is this something that I would have to explain only after an interview/acceptance, or should I have included this discrepancy somewhere in my app? I was under the impression that pre-reqs are only looked at after offering an acceptance to an applicant.

I'm actually in a similar position. At my university, non-chemistry majors usually only have access to a 1st-year physical chem course (with lab) and a 2nd-year physical chem course (with NO lab). Therefore, unless if we take specialized upper-year chemistry courses, we're unable to fulfill the typical requirement of TWO intro gen chem courses that both have labs.

I have not contacted any of the schools about this, nor did I include this in any of my secondaries. Is this something that I would have to explain only after an interview/acceptance, or should I have included this discrepancy somewhere in my app? I was under the impression that pre-reqs are only looked at after offering an acceptance to an applicant.
In the case discussed above, the website stated that the applicant must have the prerequisites completed to be considered. That is not true for the majority of med schools. You might check the MSAR about your target schools' policies in that regard. Chances are high that most of your schools will give you until matriculation to complete requirements. Of course, you have to recall that some acceptances come from waitlists in May/June, when it's far too late to resolve a deficiency, so best to know ahead of time what you need to do.

If you want to ask for a requirement to be waived due to your special situation, it's best to ask early, as only a limited number of exceptions can be made.

-Summarize your situation and what your school offers, with the semester credit hours for a year of Gen Bio.
-Express that you are concerned they won't consider you since your school doesn't offer what they require, and might they waive the requirement in your situation.
-Include a screenshot of their website like you did here.
-Ask if cannot be waived, might one of the other labs you've taken be substituted.
-List the other labs you've taken (with credit hours).
- If the above options are not possible, do they have another suggestion?

Be succinct. Use fewer sentences than I did.

Alegobeh, I am also in a situation where I don't know if bringing this up to the admission's office while my application is being review is a good idea. Perhaps it might cause problems where they actually re-review your application, change their mind, and decide that, in fact, the prerequisites weren't fulfilled. Catalystik provided a good template for a message to notify them of the issue, but you might want to call the school first in an anonymous fashion.

@TheEugenius and @Alegobeh Both of your universities have had others accepted to medical schools. Surely there is an advisor who can tell you the outcome of previous applications from your school and how the deficiencies in standard prerequisites were handled.

I go to a Canadian university, and unfortunately they have not been able to answer any of my questions about applying to American medical schools as a Canadian pre-med.

Understandable. But don't some Canadian schools have similar prerequisites to those of American schools?

You're right, just looked it up. Here are Ottawa's prerequisites

upload_2018-9-25_22-33-41.png

I'll contact my school then and ask them what it means.

However, I was looking at the course description of the one-term biology course that I said lacked a laboratory component. Here is a screenshot of it's description:

upload_2018-9-25_22-53-12.png

We had these seminar/tutorials that were never explicitly stated to be labs, but I guess my school decided to try something unique and replace traditional labs with these lab/seminar hybrids that lasted 2 hours per week (the labs lasted 1 hour, so that fulfilled the 1 credit hour requirement) and that were focused on mainly review research rather than hands-on lab work. I should have stated in my AMCAS application that this course is actually a lab course. Should I email the schools to which I applied and state that this is the case? My transcripts do not show any indication of whether or not a course is a lab course.

I really appreciate your help @Catalystik, I wouldn't have figured any of this out without you!

Last edited:
1) You're right, just looked it up. Here are Ottawa's prerequisites

View attachment 240158

I'll contact my school then and ask them what it means.

2) However, I was looking at the course description of the one-term biology course that I said lacked a laboratory component. Here is a screenshot of it's description:

View attachment 240165

We had these seminar/tutorials that were never explicitly stated to be labs, but I guess my school decided to try something unique and replace traditional labs with these lab/seminar hybrids that lasted 2 hours per week (the labs lasted 1 hour, so that fulfilled the 1 credit hour requirement) and that were focused on mainly review research rather than hands-on lab work. I should have stated in my AMCAS application that this course is actually a lab course. Should I email the schools to which I applied and state that this is the case? My transcripts do not show any indication of whether or not a course is a lab course.

I really appreciate your help @Catalystik, I wouldn't have figured any of this out without you!
1) I'm guessing you didn't buy a subscription to the MSAR, which includes Canadian schools' prerequisites?

2) AMCAS instructions state that when filling out the transcript, you should check a box if the lab was included. You didn't do that? On the other hand, it sounds like a real lab WAS NOT included, regardless of the term used, so perhaps it's best left alone.

Let's get another opinion from @gonnif : If the course catalog description says the lab is included (screen shot is one post above), but no laboratory experience was provided (and a seminar was substituted), should you still check the "lab included" box when filling out the AMCAS transcript?

I am in a similar situation here. I have a PharmD degree and realized I only had 1 lab of general biology and organic chemistry (only 7 credits each not 8 which most md/do school requires). I have taken higher course of science like microbio, biochem, med chem theraputics etc

It is crazy to think that a 1 semester of lab missing in two general science would disqualify me from even applying?

I would like to hear an update!! Did you end up taking a lab class?

I am in a similar situation here. I have a PharmD degree and realized I only had 1 lab of general biology and organic chemistry (only 7 credits each not 8 which most md/do school requires). I have taken higher course of science like microbio, biochem, med chem theraputics etc

It is crazy to think that a 1 semester of lab missing in two general science would disqualify me from even applying?

I would like to hear an update!! Did you end up taking a lab class?

So I did get rejected at the school in question, but that probably had to do with my university. I remember a lot of Canadians got rejected on the same day I did and as it turned out, the school only took Canadians that studied at certain universities (of which mine was not a part). Nevertheless, I was accepted at another school despite not having a full year of general biology with labs. This school, however, does have different requirements which I happened to have been able to fulfill.