Urgent fafsa qustion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shane41

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. I dont live with my parents and I am an independant. However, I want to recieve the most financial aid as needed for my first year of dental school. My parents do have a lot of money so I have two questions:

1.) Do I put my parents address for my permanent address? I have been moving around a lot and dont really have a stable address. Isnt my permanent address just where mail goes?

2.) I didnt fill out my parent information because they are pretty wealthy and I am not really in contact with them very much. So is it still ok if I put my parents address for my permanent address and that wont hurt me in terms of getting financial aid?

Any help would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok. I dont live with my parents and I am an independant. However, I want to recieve the most financial aid as needed for my first year of dental school. My parents do have a lot of money so I have two questions:

1.) Do I put my parents address for my permanent address? I have been moving around a lot and dont really have a stable address. Isnt my permanent address just where mail goes?

2.) I didnt fill out my parent information because they are pretty wealthy and I am not really in contact with them very much. So is it still ok if I put my parents address for my permanent address and that wont hurt me in terms of getting financial aid?

Any help would be great!

Yes... permanent adress is just where they mail your stuff. It has nothing to do with the financial aid you recieve. As for not putting your parents information that is fine since you are an independent (due to the fact that you will be working on a graduate degree). At most schools this will qualify you for basic funding (stafford loans etc.) However, some schools will have you fill out parental information on their own application in order for you to be considered for Complete funding (scholarships, perkins, etc.) Therefore you should contact the school you are attending and see what their policy is.

Make sure you check with your school to be sure that your are actually a Independent. You could be 25 and not have received a single cent from your parents in 9 years and still considered to be a dependent. As far as I know you either have to be married, have worked full time for a year, or be a certain age (26 sounds familiar). One way be to know for sure is if you are still currently on your parents insurance than your a dependent of them. As far as the using their address as your permanent one, it shouldn't be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you check with your school to be sure that your are actually a Independent. You could be 25 and not have received a single cent from your parents in 9 years and still considered to be a dependent. As far as I know you either have to be married, have worked full time for a year, or be a certain age (26 sounds familiar). One way be to know for sure is if you are still currently on your parents insurance than your a dependent of them. As far as the using their address as your permanent one, it shouldn't be a problem.

You are wrong oregon dent. There is a section on the FAFSA that has several questions to determine your dependency status. One of those questions is "will you be working on a postdoctorate/graduate degree in 2007-2008?" If you answer yes to any of the questions you are considered independent and it will tell you that you do not have to fill out parental information.

Yeah fafsa declared me as independant