Urgent help needed for scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forex

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of prelim Surgery. Where can we go after that? Worth applying to? Of course do not like surgery. Pl advise ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

Programs like PM&R, Anesthesiology, Radiology, Radiation Oncology, etc. that require a separate internship year will accept a year of surgery. If you did surgery now, you would have to look for one to open up next year outside of the match or try to match for one in 2 years time. Or you could go on to any type of surgery afterwards, but in reality it would be unlikely that you would get a spot.

There are a lot of prelim Surgery. Where can we go after that? Worth applying to? Of course do not like surgery. Pl advise ASAP.

If you don't like surgery I would recommend AGAINST applying for a prelim surgery spot, its not goign to get you where you want. Try going for prelim medicine or even consider Family Medicine or another specialty... what were you going for in the first place?

Best of luck, sorry to hear that you didn't match

Ocean11

Programs like PM&R, Anesthesiology, Radiology, Radiation Oncology, etc. that require a separate internship year will accept a year of surgery. If you did surgery now, you would have to look for one to open up next year outside of the match or try to match for one in 2 years time. Or you could go on to any type of surgery afterwards, but in reality it would be unlikely that you would get a spot.

Thank you. So basically I can go to any program that require prelim one year, right?

try to match for one in 2 years time - So if couldn't find one in two year, what happen/ is consequence?

If you don't like surgery I would recommend AGAINST applying for a prelim surgery spot, its not goign to get you where you want. Try going for prelim medicine or even consider Family Medicine or another specialty... what were you going for in the first place?

Best of luck, sorry to hear that you didn't match

Ocean11

Hi Ocean- Can we just use it as stepping stone (PYG2 IM or OBGYN )? Thanks for your info.

Hi Ocean- Can we just use it as stepping stone (PYG2 IM or OBGYN )? Thanks for your info.

You should check up on individual programs to see if they'll allow a Surg Prelim year to count. For IM, this is pretty rare. I've heard of it happening in OB/GYN, though.

But I agree, don't scramble for Surg Prelim spots if you hate surgery.

Bad bad idea to take a Prelim Surgery position if you don't like Surgery. You will be even more miserable than your colleagues who want to be there.

A Prelim Surgery year is not useful for IM, FP, or EM although as Blade notes, you might get some months worth of credit toward Ob-Gyn.

I would highly recommend you look for a Prelim IM position as it affords you more options and you will likely not be as miserable. Your plan then should be to look for a PGY-2 position opening up for July 2009 although unless you find one early, you should also expect to reapply through the match for both Prelim and Advanced positions to start July 2009.

Ok so I matched and my fiance did not. Please tell me what are his chances to scramble into an FP. I do not want false hope. He has a 203 on Step 1 and a 193 on Step 2. He is a US citizen but went to a Carribbean school. He works his *** off and this whole situation sucks. Please help.

Ok so I matched and my fiance did not. Please tell me what are his chances to scramble into an FP. I do not want false hope. He has a 203 on Step 1 and a 193 on Step 2. He is a US citizen but went to a Carribbean school. He works his *** off and this whole situation sucks. Please help.

Hey nervous, I'm also a US citizen/Caribbean grad and didn't match. My scores are lower than your husband's, and although he may have geographic restrictions it sounds like he's a solid applicant in the scramble and thus in very good shape for FP.

I agree this sucks and I can't help but feel disappointment, but remind myself that success is often disguised as failure. Look at the scramble tomorrow as an opportunity and be prepared to take advantage of it. I hope that helps, and that it works out for us.

Thanks ioh I appreciate it. I wish you the best of luck tomorrow! I know how horrible you must feel my fiance doesn't even want to get off the couch. Is there anyone out there who is a Caribbean grad that successfully scrambled into FP??

Thanks ioh I appreciate it. I wish you the best of luck tomorrow! I know how horrible you must feel my fiance doesn't even want to get off the couch. Is there anyone out there who is a Caribbean grad that successfully scrambled into FP??

I have a good friend who is an attending in FP. His story is also interesting: he is an AMG BUT was at the bottom of his class, his board scores were terrible, he had to do med school in 5 years and failed a few courses (including clerkships like: IM and OB/GYN) yeah.... terrible. He went for PMR, but got no-where even though he had 11 interviews.... so he scrambled into a great Family Medicine Residency and loves it! he is really happy things turned out the way they did and he did a sports medicine fellowship and never looked back!

Anything is possible! keep your head up!

Hey,

As the other poster said, I think prelim surg is NOT helpful for Internal Medicine, however, I'm not sure about OB/GYN.... I don't think so.... but am not certain. You might be able to do one year prelim surg and then once you get into OB/GYN have a few of your PGY1 rotations knocked off b/c you did them in your prelim year (ie: SICU, gen surg). If you want to go into IM than go for the prelim IM or categorical ones there are a few open...

good luck :luck: