Urgent Help Needed!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karthik44

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been accepted at University of Michigan, Boston University and Tulane University for MPH program - Epidemiology. Can someone please let me know which the best place to get my degree. I would appreciate a prompt response as I need inform the universities about my interest in the program by end of this month. After MPH I plan to go for a Dr.PH degree or an MBA, not very sure at this point in time. Please guide me on this !!!!....Thank you.

Also if possible I would like to have the rankings of these universities with respect to the Epidemiology department and the school as a whole. I have read prior posts and have realized that University of Michigan is the best for Health Administration. But I would like to know its status with respect to other concentrations. Also wont it be an advantage to be in Boston as most of the HMO's, public health organization, CRO's and pharma companies are in that area compared to Michigan...Please let me know your opinion...Also should I consider Tulane as a good university for MPH??

Regards,
Karthik

Members don't see this ad.

Univ of Michigan and Tulane University are very good. I think Univ of Michigan leads Tulane...

Hey, I've been admitted to an MS Environmental Health program at UMN. I will appreciate any info that you can share regarding scholarships or assistantships that I can apply at UMN...for international students.

Thanks,
Tashkent

Hello Tashkent,

I am sorry I do not know much about the University. I have applied there too for Epidemiology, havent got a respose yet about my admit. I find the program good, but not very sure about its ranking. The best part is that Epidemiology department has a lot of focus on the clinical research aspect, something I would like to go for. If you know its ranking kindly let me know. I would try and find out about assistanship offered by the university for international students. But the trend is that funding is very limited in MPH programs in most universities. Even in my case, I am finding it very hard to recieve assiatnaship, would be taking loan and studying. I hope that I get into a work study program, I could cut down my loan a little bit!

Karthik

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea Uof M is ranked in the top 5. So ranking wise its the best among the ones you listed.

Hi Homer,

Thanks for replying. Any one else any comments/suggestions please !!! Thank you.
Aspiring doc i guess you know a lot on this, can you please help me out.

Karthik

karthik44 said:
Hi Homer,

Thanks for replying. Any one else any comments/suggestions please !!! Thank you.
Aspiring doc i guess you know a lot on this, can you please help me out.

Karthik

Hihi!

To be honest, US News and World Report does NOT rank epidemiology departments. The only rankings with respect to public health they have are overall (school-wide), community health and health services administration. As to why this is, I'm not sure. That being said, from an overall perspective, Michigan is ranked #5, as you can see on these boards.

Moreso than just the ranking, I was really impressed by the quality of Michigan's SPH, along with the quality of life. People there (at least in my department) seemed very happy about being there, and very optimistic when it came to job opportunities for those nearing graduation. Boston University has a very good international program, which might interest you (or it might not, I'm not sure). I honestly don't know anything about Tulane.

Why do you want to get an MBA if you're going into epidemiology? That doesn't make much sense at all - they are opposite fields. One is hard science, the other is business. If you were to get an MBA, a more useful degree would be to get an MHA or some kind of MPH with a management focus. I don't think business schools will jump for joy over an epidemiology degree (maybe medical schools will). However, an MPH in epi and an MBA makes absolutely no sense whatsoever (I have never known a single person to do it). If you want to get a DrPH, you need major work experience for that (5-8+ years is typical). Most programs won't touch you without that (not the better ones anyways), and in that respect, what you do after your degree is just as important as where you get your masters.

I hope this didn't sound too harsh, but hopefully it helps! If you need anything else, write back!