Urgent Inquiry regarding Predentistry schools ..Plz Help T.T

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyungsuk81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is a great pleasure to have joned SDN!!

I am currently sophomore at Bryant University in Rhodeisland.

After the military, I have deiceded to change my major to dentistry.

Although I have spent a vast amount of times searching for schools that are suitable for my status, I found it quite challenging.

I am planning to transfer for Spring 2006 and my Cum. GPA will be
around 3.0 with TOFEL score of 277.

there are so many ways and opinions to go into a predentistry school with dental graduate schools and postback methods.

As a turning point of my life, I am more than anqious to choose the best choice for my future career!

As far as I know, there are 2 ways in predentistry system.
one is that You just simply apply for schools(like BU), which provide predentistry courses in undergraduate with Dental schools(graduate)
Second is that You could be in any University that provide required courses to enter dental school.

I am having a head ache which way would be more suitable for me in terms of a wise education rather than sitting in your desk for 24hours !

The schools I have been searching are Rutgers(which doesn't have dental school), BU , Stony brook, SUNY buffalo and Columbia.

would it be not a wise choice to transfer to RUTGERS(state university in
NewJersey) since they don't have a dental school? I have been thinking about going there cuz Rutgers has nice ranking and a solid reputation, too!

or should I just simply look for schools like BU(school has predentistry(undergraduate) and dental school? So I could just be stationed there til the day I gradute from the graduate school? would this choice be more beneficial in terms of my intern and career?

Please forgive my endless inquiries ^^;

Thank you for those who have been patient to finish my statement

And I would be more than glad to have your advices and thoughts!!

Thank you guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, welcome to SDN! Second, it doesn't matter where you take your pre-requisites. I think you are making the undergraduate process a bit more complicated than it really is. I suggest that you go to the cheapest undergraduate university that you can. It doesn't matter if the university has a dental school associated with it or not. Next, major in something you enjoy - it doesn't have to be science related at all - although you do have to take the necessary pre-reqs (general chemistry, organic chemsistry, etc.). An advantage to going to school in states such as New Jersey or New York is that you can establish residency and if you are accepted into their dental schools you will receive in-state tuition, which is a substantial amount of savings for you.

Whatever university you choose to attend I encourage you to work in as much 'dental stuff' as you can, such as becoming involved with any pre-dental or pre-professional club they might have, establishing a routine of shadowing dentists, and so on. I wish you the best of luck in your future decisions! :thumbup:

I second sprgrover. go to whatever undergrad you want, regardless of if they have a dental school or not. I am pretty sure all universities offer the dental prerequisites (basic bio, general and organic chem, physics, english). If I were you I would major in science as it will prepare you better to handle the subjects and rigors of dental school; however plenty of people disagree on that point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey man,

Rutgers is a good choice. It's cheap, and one of the top 5 state-schools.
You're wrong about it not having a dental program. It has both a medical and dental school called UMDNJ (University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ). Of course there are a number of Rugters campuses. UMDNJ has programs in 3 different campuses. The Rutgers University in Newark, NJ has the dental school.

Good luck

BYU is the premier predental factory.

groundhog said:
BYU is the premier predental factory.

Do you really think BYU is an option for this guy?!? Come on he lives in Jersey odds are he is not mormon.

I went to community college for 2 years then to Univ of Arkansas. It doesn't matter where you go. Just make sure it's cheap and you can make grades there. Try to find a school that's not going to try and weed you out. There are kids in my class who went to really expensive undergrads and now where are they? Same place I am.