URGENT: Instate (MD/MBA) vs. OOS (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm in dilema,

my instate school has offered me MD/MBA option in 4 years, obviously cheaper.

an OOS school has just the MD. will cost much more.

I have come to now relize that i don't want to do the MBA at all, what should i do. i don't want to do MBA b/c i hope to do one of the competive residency which will probably require research.

go to instate or OOS school.

please reply ASAP, since as you know may 15th is coming.

Members don't see this ad.

newdude said:
i'm in dilema,

I have come to now relize that i don't want to do the MBA at all, what should i do. i don't want to do MBA b/c i hope to do one of the competive residency which will probably require research.

I would assume you could drop the MBA part and the MD offer would still stand. I'm guessing the instate is Texas Tech?

newdude said:
i'm in dilema,

Instate!

What, are you crazy or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
BrettBatchelor said:
I would assume you could drop the MBA part and the MD offer would still stand. I'm guessing the instate is Texas Tech?

as far as i can tell, i have to take both or none, but i'll ask if they say no than i'm just gonna go to OOS.

any more thoughts.

crazy_cavalier said:
Instate!

What, are you crazy or something?

i hear what you are saying but i don't consider money a factor.

i'm worried aobut hurting my chance for a competive residency.

If you want to get an MBA, then get it. I don't know if it will harm you as far as competitive residencies, but I personally know a guy who did his md/mba in a joint program, now he's an ophtho resident. He's never told me it was a problem.

couldn't you just take an extra year to graduate to do research?

quantummechanic said:
couldn't you just take an extra year to graduate to do research?

i don't want to spend extra time, b/c i'm already a reappllicant.

If you're not allowed to do just the MD at Texas Tech, I'd strongly consider the OOS option. I'd imagine the MBA would really intensify your curriculum if it's been offered within the 4 years of med school.

newdude said:
as far as i can tell, i have to take both or none, but i'll ask if they say no than i'm just gonna go to OOS.

any more thoughts.

I'll go instate and try to drop the MBA part. If not then OOS will be a rational choice.

potato51 said:
If you're not allowed to do just the MD at Texas Tech, I'd strongly consider the OOS option. I'd imagine the MBA would really intensify your curriculum if it's been offered within the 4 years of med school.

is it possible to drop the mba part after i take some classes.

anyone in tech md/mba please let me know.