Urgent!! Just accepted at WVSOM and need insight!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorJCR

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received the acceptance email yesterday! Although I meet all their requirements including the minimum grade for the prerequisite courses and the 90 credits, I ended this last semester with a D+ in one class (non-prerequisite).

This grade kept me from graduating though it was my last course.

I need to submit the deposit in the next week but don't know what to do... any advise???

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe discuss the situation with the professor of the class that gave you the D+.

Other than that I think you just have to call WVSOM. That really sucks..

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah definitely talk to the professor and see if you can get the minimum grade.

Is there any way to repeat the class late summer at your school? Since its a non pre-requisite, maybe try to quickly find another university/community college who has a transferable class (4 week or 6 week course) you can take so you can graduate.

Reactions: 2 users
So I've been working with the professor to fix my grade. He's reviewing my tests right now to see if he can find a couple points (7/1000 points off btw!!!). If he's more of a butt head then I thought and doesn't give me 7 points, I was wondering if the school might still accept me. I'm not finding any requirements anywhere on the website stating that you need a B.A./B.S. to matriculate... does anyone know about schools accepting students without a degree??

So I've been working with the professor to fix my grade. He's reviewing my tests right now to see if he can find a couple points (7/1000 points off btw!!!). If he's more of a butt head then I thought and doesn't give me 7 points, I was wondering if the school might still accept me. I'm not finding any requirements anywhere on the website stating that you need a B.A./B.S. to matriculate... does anyone know about schools accepting students without a degree??

I would personally contact the admissions office. Just by looking at their Admissions page, it's hard to tell whether or not a degree is required...

https://www.wvsom.edu/Admissions/admission-requirements

Reactions: 1 users

God, hopefully he does give you the points. The way you described it, it seems like he is decent enough (since he is actually going back though tests to check) to help you out. My school couldn't give a crap less haha

I remember a physician speaking to a group at our college mentioning a friend of his that went to med school without a degree. He had a high MCAT, was a state-level swimmer, and a lot of ECs, however.

A little off topic, but what were your stats getting into WVSOM. That's my top school and I'm applying next cycle.
Good luck with your situation. I've spent a good bit of time talking with admissions there and they are super awesome people. I hope you get it figured out!!!

He's not a butthead if you don't get the points. You're a butthead for screwing around on an elective class that could cost you $200k in lost salary by deferring a year.

You don't get to demand that they suddenly act like this course is important when you didn't

Reactions: 20 users
He's not a butthead if you don't get the points. You're a butthead for screwing around on an elective class that could cost you $200k in lost salary by deferring a year.

You don't get to demand that they suddenly act like this course is important when you didn't

Thanks for your advice... however, I am looking for constructive criticism here pal! What happened is my fault despite the challenges of taking care of 2 kids, some health issues, and dealing with someone close who died. The goal is med school here and this teacher thankfully understands the gravity of the issue and has been working with me through this entire process.

Reactions: 1 user
A little off topic, but what were your stats getting into WVSOM. That's my top school and I'm applying next cycle.
Good luck with your situation. I've spent a good bit of time talking with admissions there and they are super awesome people. I hope you get it figured out!!!

I had 3.45 sGPA, 492 MCAT, lots of ECs and a fair amount of rural experience. Thanks and good luck to you!

I remember a physician speaking to a group at our college mentioning a friend of his that went to med school without a degree. He had a high MCAT, was a state-level swimmer, and a lot of ECs, however.

You wouldn't have any idea if this person applied with the intention not to graduate? The thing is that I'm already accepted... there's just this little hiccup in my way that may not even matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice... however, I am looking for constructive criticism here pal! What happened is my fault despite the challenges of taking care of 2 kids, some health issues, and dealing with someone close who died. The goal is med school here and this teacher thankfully understands the gravity of the issue and has been working with me through this entire process.

Don't hide behind your kids in this. You messed up on this course and expressed a poor attitude about it here by passing blame to the professor on the chance you don't get credit you didn't earn.

My constructive criticism is learn to own your shortcomings and address them without implying other people have anything to do with them

Reactions: 15 users
Don't hide behind your kids in this. You messed up on this course and expressed a poor attitude about it here by passing blame to the professor on the chance you don't get credit you didn't earn.

My constructive criticism is learn to own your shortcomings and address them without implying other people have anything to do with them
Do you think you're being helpful?

Reactions: 5 users
Do you think you're being helpful?
I do. First because it's a poor attitude that will not serve will in the adult world at large. Second because even a hint of "it's my professor's fault because they wouldn't give me points I didn't earn" around adcoms will sink them more surely than an iceberg did the titanic.

I can promise you the board exams don't care about our children and our family difficulties. It's hard for a premed to grasp how cold and exacting the process gets once you are in med school

Reactions: 11 users
Don't you have to send your final transcripts in? Even if you have already been accepted. The school will find out about the grade. Be honest and see what you need to do to rectify this.

I do. First because it's a poor attitude that will not serve will in the adult world at large. Second because even a hint of "it's my professor's fault because they wouldn't give me points I didn't earn" around adcoms will sink them more surely than an iceberg did the titanic.

I can promise you the board exams don't care about our children and our family difficulties. It's hard for a premed to grasp how cold and exacting the process gets once you are in med school
Classic teaching moment, this thread is. I agree 100% with sb247 as the OP probably could have taken a W.

Could consider an online (UNE?) course and finish quickly, if both your undergrad institution and the med school would accept it. Probably somewhat unlikely though. Best bet is with your professor.

Agree with others: maintain that internal locus of control. You're not doing anyone a favor to externalize problems, regardless of whether or not they are truly external.

Only choice you've got is to get an answer from the professor one way or another. Then call WVSOM and see what they say about it. If it keeps you out a year then it keeps you out a year.

From what I experienced with wvsom they're likely to be helpful. Best of luck and make sure you're on top of that professor and the school!

Update: Just wanted to thank all those who have been helpful. Everything worked out and I'm still in.

Reactions: 11 users
Update: Just wanted to thank all those who have been helpful. Everything worked out and I'm still in.

Just a question.....I'm pretty interested in you getting accepted with a 492. Did they say anything about your MCAT? What was your interview like?

Just a question.....I'm pretty interested in you getting accepted with a 492. Did they say anything about your MCAT? What was your interview like?

You can message me if you want details

You can message me if you want details

I didn't have to deal with the new mcat so I'm little confused. Is 492 rather low? Cause from the word on sdn said shoot for a 500 at least which would be a 25 and a 510 is a 30. Following this trend is a 492 about a 20? There is no way anyone would get in with a 20. Is that scaling wrong? If so what are the averages as of now

I didn't have to deal with the new mcat so I'm little confused. Is 492 rather low? Cause from the word on sdn said shoot for a 500 at least which would be a 25 and a 510 is a 30. Following this trend is a 492 about a 20? There is no way anyone would get in with a 20. Is that scaling wrong? If so what are the averages as of now
A 492 is 24th percentile on the new MCAT. It's approximately a 21 on the old scale.

A 492 is 24th percentile on the new MCAT. It's approximately a 21 on the old scale.
Okay. OP how did you secure a spot at this low and are you worried about boards? I know it sounds like I'm putting the cart before the horse but I'm jw. There was data to support that less than a 24 put students at serious risk of board failures. If they made the test harder/better so that data wasn't still true then awesome but I know that my classmates that struggled on level 1 were those that had shaky mcat scores.

Ok so let me clear the dust here for everyone, including those who sent me a PM:

First: due to my terrible MCAT, before sending my application, I found every school who would look at me (called and straight up asked). I had better than average stats for WVSOM including sGPA and ECs which made up for the low MCAT for them.

Second: I kept in touch with WVSOM admissions (like a lot), and became good friends with them. The interview was definitely a big strong suit... I "killed it" (or so I was told)

Third: a recent article stated that personality tests for med students showed traits predicting success more than MCAT scores and GPA's. My brother went through med school and killed the boards and has helped me understand, as much as I can, what it takes to succeed in medical school. I believe, in large part, success on the boards is up to the students ability to commit and do what it takes. I studied for the MCAT for 3 weeks before getting the news and improved my score to 502. I wasn't planning on taking the MCAT for another month and a half. A lot was going on at the time I got the 492, I've since learned and recommitted myself.

They made us take a personality test during orientation and they tried to sell us that and it was complete garbage. Firstly because the personality test changes for the same person depending on their feelings at the time. Secondly it's garbage because it's just people trying to sell books on learning styles for medical school. There is nothing like sitting down and hammering out the info and no learning style will change that.

Granted that he got the 502 then that shows the potential to succeed

They made us take a personality test during orientation and they tried to sell us that and it was complete garbage. Firstly because the personality test changes for the same person depending on their feelings at the time. Secondly it's garbage because it's just people trying to sell books on learning styles for medical school. There is nothing like sitting down and hammering out the info and no learning style will change that.

Granted that he got the 502 then that shows the potential to succeed

I think the 502 was his practice test score

If I were an adcom, I would not allow a student to matriculate without finishing their degree. While it isn't a hard and fast requirement, it would require a great deal of convincing on the part of someone advocating for you within the admissions department. Such exceptions are usually made for exceptional applicants, not people who have failed to graduate (i.e. this guy ended up one class short because he was deployed to Iraq right before graduation, he meets all requirements to graduate except a course on multicultural studies, and he's got several first pubs and a GPA of 4.0 with a MCAT in the 99th percentile... Maybe we could give him a chance?). Likely, your only hope is getting this professor to give you a pass, as it is exceedingly unlikely the school will not defer or rescind your acceptance.

As to your other points...

Your kids, your health issues, and deaths will also come up as you move forward in the medical education process. You need to own your failures, because there is little room for failure in medicine, regardless of the reason for said failure. At most, you could make one mistake of this caliber during medical school, and that mistake would be a red flag come match time. Everyone has **** happen, and it's terrible, but it's life. When it does, you need to ask for assistance or a year off early on and seek help with moving forward, you can't just wait until the grades roll in and see a failure and say, "wait, but X and Y and Z!" The response will be a resounding, "you should have asked for assistance with X and Y and Z, your failure to do so is yours to own." Learn from this, or you're going to be hurting if such an occasion arises again during training. And such a situation will arise, as kids aren't going away any time soon, and bad things tend to occur over the course of 7-12 years of training.

Harsh but true words. Definitely shows immaturity not to take responsibility. OP should thank you for pointing out the hard lesson here. It's the things we don't want to hear that make us better.

Reactions: 3 users