URGENT! Med school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninaninanina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian student and I was wondering whether these ten schools are a good choice to apply to! If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to tell me!

1. Albany
2. Finch
3. Northwestern
4. Wayne State
5. Tufts
6. University of Illinois College of Medicine in Chicago
7. Pritzker
8. University of Washington
9. Washington University in St.Louis
10. Mount Sinai

:D

Members don't see this ad.

Might be of more help if we knew a little bit more about you, i.e. stats.:)

It looks like you have a good mix of schools. Best of luck!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
What you want to do is go to USNews and look up what percentage of international students these schools accept. Some schools simply don't take international students... others take a friendly 5%-8%. You need to look at these statistics so that you don't waste your time applying to schools that don't like international students. If you already have and these are the schools that accept the most international students... then you're good to go.

Good luck :)

I thought Canadians weren't considered as international students, when applying to med school. I may be wrong.

Originally posted by Dr. MAXY
I thought Canadians weren't considered as international students, when applying to med school. I may be wrong.

Anyone who is not a US citizen, permanent resident , or green card holder is an international student... Canadians are no different.

Originally posted by relatively prime

Anyone who is not a US citizen, permanent resident , or green card holder is an international student... Canadians are no different.

Some stuff, FYI:

1. Green card holder = permanent resident. If you have one, you ARE the other.

2. Some schools do look on canadians the same. WashU comes to mind.

--Trek

Originally posted by Trek

2. Some schools do look on canadians the same. WashU comes to mind.

Except that at many of these schools, once you get in they provide absolutely no financial aid. And even worse, they might want 4 years of tuition + fees ($150K US or more) up front! :eek:

BTW ninaninanina, make sure UIC and Univ. of Washington accept Canadian students... many state schools do not.

At washU my friend told me that was not factored into admissions decisions. And i didn't get any AID either, so it's not a canadian thing. --Trke

Right, I know that many schools don't consider your financial status in their decision (even if you're international). But once you get in, you have to figure out a way to come up with the money if they want 4 years up front. If it's not possible, then it's kind of a waste of money applying to that school in the first place.

Thanks guys!

My stats are pretty good, above 3.7 GPA, both science and cummulative, and 28 S on the mcat. VC15, I wrote all the schools to ask if they accepted Canadian students, and Washington U doesn't consider international students. Thanks for the advice everyone! If any other Canadian students in studying in the states have any experience with applying to American schools it would be helpful if you could tell me which ones I have a chance at. Thanks

1. Albany-no, I think
2. Finch-yes
3. Northwestern-yes
4. Wayne State-no, I think
5. Tufts-yes
6. University of Illinois College of Medicine in Chicago-NO!
7. Pritzker-yes
8. University of Washington-NO!!
9. Washington University in St.Louis-yes
10. Mount Sinai-yes

trek- I'm well aware of the fact that permanent resident = green card holder but I wasn't going to assume that everyone knew that.

Like the other poster said, even if they accept Canadians as if they were Americans, the financial aid isn't the same.

well moo already showed you that university of washington is not a school you want to apply to. i think uw accepts in-staters and northwesterners, no one else. so its kind of waste of time and money to apply there, unless you are from british columbia and maybe you are then considered northwesterner or something.
thats my .02 cents
good luck

revising, but remember, this is just my opinion:

1. Albany-maybe, I think a Canadian poster on here got an interview; call the school
2. Finch-yes
3. Northwestern-maybe, they will consider Canadians, but your MCAT is a little on the low end for this school if you are not a URM and/or disadvantaged applicant. I had almost identical stats to yours and did not apply to Northwestern.
4. Wayne State-no, I think
5. Tufts-yes, I am at TUSM and we have a guy from Toronto in our class.
6. University of Illinois College of Medicine in Chicago-NO!
7. Pritzker-yes, see Northwestern, you might run into same prob.
8. University of Washington-NO!!
9. Washington University in St.Louis-yes, but their average MCAT is about a 36, ridiculously high! They also have a reputation for recruiting cuthroat, competitive, and not well-balanced students, so you might not enjoy it there. But I don't know for sure.
10. Mount Sinai-yes
also adding on a few for ya:
11. Jefferson Medical College
12. Temple
13. Duke- but same prob. as 3, 7, and 9
14. Vanderbilt-see Duke, etc.

good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help..

Thanks Katie,

That was actually tons of help!