1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

URGENT:Need advise UOP/UIC/BU

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by mito_cell, Dec 12, 2008.

1. mito_cell

mito_cell New Member
    2+ Year Member

Hi everyone!

I need advise on which school should I go to?I am accepted at UOP/UIC and BU.
    Which school should I prefer.I have to relocate in any of the case...according to my search,UOP is a very good school but the tuition is very high,BU is cheap but I am not sure about the clinical exposure and UIC is a bit expensive but good clinical experience.

Please guide me ...what should be my choice?I have to decide by this weekend.Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. smile 08

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    UIC is the best I have friends in that college. it is the best school. UOP is bit expensive but very good school with good clinical exposure --worth paying(every body says that). Eventhough bu tution fee is less ,cost leaving is too much.less clinical exposure and too cold.congrats once again for your acceptance.clinical exposure is very important.if iam in your case i would prefer uic/uop.

4. Elderwand

2+ Year Member

Dentist
    If I was at ur place, I would go for UIC...great school....

5. Kal ka dentist

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It seems that you already know all the facts about different schools. Do some more search ( in previous posts, on SDN itself you will find feedbacks on the issue ) and listen to yourself before you make a final decision. The bat is in your hand:D, you are a real player:cool:,you decide with which ball you want to play with.:idea:

A dentist has an ability to make 50 K in 3 months, ;)... ..:rolleyes:more clinical exposure means more confidence to accept complicated cases and ultimately more patient base... and on the top of that you are paying a big chunk of money :scared:to learn something new, will be practised in your profession
    …Just a suggestion.:)

You decide...:rolleyes:

Good luck with your decision :thumbup:

6. mito_cell

mito_cell New Member
    2+ Year Member

Thanks Smile, Elderwand and Kal ka.

@ kal ka...I understand your point and thats why I'm asking for opinions.I want to know between UOP and UIC what should be preferred.I'm sure you will guide me in the right direction.

Thanks again

7. SaMoUrAi

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Look mito_cell,
    I really know how you feel, I had to make a choice too, but I didnt have CA in my pocket... so I chose UIC....It is an awsome school, I cant say nothing bad about it, but looking at UOP, I wont miss living in CA. It is the best, trust me, I've been there..

From where I stand, UOP and UIC are both very good and reputable schools which will both get you a degree in a couple of years and you'll get a good clinnical experience in both as well....
    And about the tuition, they are both VERY close. Just take a look again at both fees, you'll find that UOP's is only 10 K more in the first year and that is it. The 2nd year is almost the same and the rest is living expenses which is not posted in UIC's, and will probably be close too....

Anyways, I beleive what Kal Ka said was true, and you'll have to make your own decision, but as long as you were asking for someone's opinion...I'll choose UOP.

Take your time and choose...It's your life at the end........

8. Marlboro Lights

2+ Year Member

UOP and UIC are both amazing schools...it depends on your personal choice more than anything now...

9. La fea

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If going to General dentistry, Pacific is the best bet. If you want to specialize UIC or BU may be better.

10. Kal ka dentist

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Well !

If you feel so, :cool:I may suggest you a unique path if you are so much concerned and overcautious for the right choice. Not necessarily you would be in the position to materialize it, just think over it.

Unique path is write down all the questions you have in your mind about your professional studies, take the odd one out…remaining two….book two tickets to these two places, plan your visit to the college to see facilities, do survey on the basis of your requirements and self designed questionnaire, talk to the current students and if possible faculty members (Young, Assistant professors… through student references ).
    Hopefully, then you will probably come up with a concrete picture.

… sounds awkward… I know,:eek:
    but if I were you I would do that because I do not want any repentance or regret afterwards.

P.S. It won’t cost you more than $ 2000 including the cost of stay. Now you decide you want to do that at this cost….. Personal opinion you or my other friends might not agree on that.

P.S : If you feel comfortable, share your stats with the forum so that others may benefit from your post while you being on SDN. You are one of the successful people of the year 2008. It seems that you have lot in your backpack; :laugh:even if you share with about 1000 SDNers ( International dentists ) you would not lose a single mark:D

Good luck but ever school you will choose:thumbup:

11. dypsomania26

2+ Year Member

I would go for UIC hands down. In terms of patients and education both schools are excellent and similar, but living in San Francisco is way more expensive. If u can save money and not compromise the quality of education that u will get, then y not do that?:)
    In any case its finally ur decision....
    Congrats and wish u all the very best :thumbup:

12. mito_cell

mito_cell New Member
    2+ Year Member

Hey Thanks everybody for helping me out.I am trying to make up my mind...

Here are my stats:
    Part1:90
    part2:82
    Toefl:110

work experience of about 4yrs as dentist+DA

anyone wants to add anything as far as the schools are concerned?any graduates from the same schools?

13. mito_cell

mito_cell New Member
    2+ Year Member

I would have done it if I had a sponsor for my trip but unfortunately I can't afford it :oops::eek:

But again thanks for putting up ur opinion:thumbup:

14. mito_cell

mito_cell New Member
    2+ Year Member

@kal ka

If you don't mind sharing,are you a dental student currently?

15. Marlboro Lights

2+ Year Member

mito cell...if you dont mind sharing...which school did you finally choose UIC or UOP.

16. Kal ka dentist

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Sponsor!! In these economic crisis, Hard to find one, I am not that lucky atleast !
    as the truth is that nothing is free in North America, even the air we breathe in and the water we drink, cost us in the form of tax or a utility bill.

And please share what you have concluded after your search, which might work as a reference for others to choose a school. Your contribution ( pros & Cons in a constructive manner ) would highly be appreciated.

Good luck and best wishes for your professional career.:thumbup:

#15 Kal ka dentist, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  17. Kal ka dentist

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

No, Dental Professional

18. mito_cell

mito_cell New Member
    2+ Year Member

Hi

I'm going to UOP.I have decided based on what I already mentioned and others also advised.I didn't find anything additional.

Hope this helps.