URGENT!!! Please give me advices.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Todafullest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want your sincere, honest advices.
I dropped out of one of top 15 universities in the U.S. because of academic reasons with 1.4 GPA. Then, I went to community college for 2 years with GPA 2.8. And, I graduated 4 year university with 3.3 GPA.
I have DAT score of Academic average:21 Total Science:20 and PAT:20.
I have good amount of research experience, volunteer experience, and shadowing experience.
Do you think I have chance to get into dental school if I finish Masters in Biomedical Sciences at UMDNJ with over 3.8 GPA?

Would somebody please tell me their life story because I really want to pursue my dream to be a dentist until I have absolutely no chance of getting into dental school.

Also, I am willing to retake DAT next summer if that is going to help me to get into dental school.

Please someone respond me because I have to make a big decision for my life. Thank You in advance

Members don't see this ad.

3.3 is a pretty decent GPA from 4 year undergrad school. What's your science GPA? It's totally feasible for you to still get into dental school. Don't give up. Your DAT scores are great and should definitely help. Doing Masters will only raise your chances even more; especially with a 3.8. If you do end up doing the masters at umdnj, just take the dental courses offered and be sure to do well in them. Have the professor write you a LOR and your chances go up even more (especially the dental biochem professor - he's on the admissions board :) ). Obviously nothing is a sure thing but you still got a very good shot. Good luck!

my Science GPA is 2.8. I am worried that my extremely low GPA of 1.4 might be critical for me to get into dental school. Does anyone know if my 1.4 GPA is really going to be so devastating for me to get into dental school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
my Science GPA is 2.8. I am worried that my extremely low GPA of 1.4 might be critical for me to get into dental school. Does anyone know if my 1.4 GPA is really going to be so devastating for me to get into dental school.

1.4 is devastating. Do the masters though.

I really want your sincere, honest advices.
I dropped out of one of top 15 universities in the U.S. because of academic reasons with 1.4 GPA. Then, I went to community college for 2 years with GPA 2.8. And, I graduated 4 year university with 3.3 GPA.
I have DAT score of Academic average:21 Total Science:20 and PAT:20.
I have good amount of research experience, volunteer experience, and shadowing experience.
Do you think I have chance to get into dental school if I finish Masters in Biomedical Sciences at UMDNJ with over 3.8 GPA?

Would somebody please tell me their life story because I really want to pursue my dream to be a dentist until I have absolutely no chance of getting into dental school.

Also, I am willing to retake DAT next summer if that is going to help me to get into dental school.

Please someone respond me because I have to make a big decision for my life. Thank You in advance

you gave us too many GPA numbers, what is your TOTAL GPA from all your education (minus the masters)?

Assuming we add the 3.3 from undergrad with the 1.4 and the 2.8, your new overall will be less than 3.0, which (statistically speaking) puts you at a disadvantage right away.

I dunno if your are in a masters program now, or will be attending, but if you were able to get a 3.8 GPA from a biological science masters, it might, just might, be enough to land you interviews here and there.

Just keep in mind that...many dental schools nowadays have only a 2 year expiration date on the DAT (some have 3 years, and others like university of michigan have up to 4 years), so if your planning to do the masters now, try to finish it ASAP

Here are my stats according to ADDSAS:

cumulative undergraduate GPA: 2.94
cumulative undergraduate science GPA: 2.80

I will be attending Master's program this fall 2010.

Last edited:
Here are my stats according to ADDSAS:

cumulative undergraduate GPA: 2.94
cumulative undergraduate science GPA: 2.80

I will be attending Master's program this fall 2010.

oh I see. Well your overall numbers are NOT that bad. there are alot of folks around SDN who had similar/lower GPA numbers but rocked thier masters programs and are now in dental school. I don't see why the same couldn't happen to you.

I personally woulda went with the post-bacc route, but thats just my preference. Good luck on your masters