Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

medme32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! I only have a few more days to commit to my selected school and I am wondering what undergrad institution will set me up the best for success. I am not typically attracted by the cutthroat atmosphere and I would like a supportive undergrad experience with limited weed out experiences. I am in the top 1% of my competitive high school and am from California. I got into all the UC's but I prefer UCSD to be my top UC choice. I am told to stay away from public schools and that the private experience is best in medicine.

I plan to be premed and study in the health sciences/biology majors.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone can speak to what school would provide me the most success in maintaining a high gpa while still pursuing research and extracurriculars geared toward my passions of community service.

My narrowed list of schools is as follows:
Baylor
Case Western
Emory
UNC Chapel Hill
UCSD

Any insight or advice would be appreciated! I'm kind of losing my mind of pouring over stats and numbers haha.
Did you get any merit scholarships from OOS schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I only have a few more days to commit to my selected school and I am wondering what undergrad institution will set me up the best for success. I am not typically attracted by the cutthroat atmosphere and I would like a supportive undergrad experience with limited weed out experiences. I am in the top 1% of my competitive high school and am from California. I got into all the UC's but I prefer UCSD to be my top UC choice. I am told to stay away from public schools and that the private experience is best in medicine.

I plan to be premed and study in the health sciences/biology majors.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone can speak to what school would provide me the most success in maintaining a high gpa while still pursuing research and extracurriculars geared toward my passions of community service.

My narrowed list of schools is as follows:
Baylor
Case Western
Emory
UNC Chapel Hill
UCSD

Any insight or advice would be appreciated! I'm kind of losing my mind of pouring over stats and numbers haha.
All of those are great schools where you can very successful, with plenty of opportunities to pursue research and extracurriculars geared toward your passions of community service. All of them send lots of students to great medical schools, and all of them weed out plenty of students who were in the top 1% of their competitive high schools. You will have the most success at the one that makes you the happiest. Congratulations and good luck.

Yes! I got merit aid but don't qualify for financial aid. My merit is as follows:

School: Merit: Cost of Attendance
Baylor: 27k: costs me 40k
Case Western: 20k: costs me 53k
UNC: 0k: costs me 53k
Emory: 10k: costs me 65k
UCSD: 0k: costs me 32k
Since you went to a competitive high school you should be fine at UCSD. you need to plan your course load properly and use summers efficiently. If you are an ORM and money is not an issue and go with Case Western or Emory.

Honestly go where is both cheapest but you vibe the most. If you prefer UCSD go there. Where you go for premed won't really matter in terms of prestige. What DOES matter is your GPA and what you do with your time there! Go where you will be happiest, where you have a good support group, and where you won't rack up the most debt imo

I will say I am from NC, and UNC provides great opportunities from what I have seen.

Reactions: 1 user
I would go for the cheapest option first, and UCSD is a good option. Med school is expensive, so you probably want to minimize your undergraduate debt (unless parents are paying), and you also want to go to a school that will set you up well if you end up not going into medicine. There seems to be a pretty tried-and-true formula for med school admissions these days, and unless you go to HYP I don't think it matters too much where you go to college.

After that the rest of the schools are relatively close in cost, so I would go for the "best" i.e. most prestigious, which I would say is Emory by quite a bit. UNC vs. Case strikes me as a wash but I'd rather be in Chapel Hill than Cleveland, especially as an undergrad. I wouldn't go to Baylor because of the religious bent, but that's just me.

Reactions: 1 user
My family is willing to support me for undergrad at about 45k but I'll be mostly on my own for med school. I feel like taking into consideration price and where I will have a good chance of standing out is Baylor. Any words of wisdom on this?
If you can go to Baylor practically free that is pretty nice. Did you like Baylor however? Do you see yourself excelling and being happy there?

If you can go to Baylor practically free that is pretty nice. Did you like Baylor however? Do you see yourself excelling and being happy there?

Last edited:
Baylor was a nice school although I'll miss the opportunity to sit by the beach haha. It seems like it doesn't make sense to pay an extra 25k to go to Emory when Baylor offers the same resources as all the other schools at a better price especially in the under grad perspective. But I just wanted to know if I'm overlooking any of the other schools or if Baylor has any down sides that should make me reconsider.
I would agree Baylor would be a better choice than emory under the circumstances. Its not worth an extra 25k/yr of undergrad debt imo. If you like it, then I think go for it! I would probably continue consdiering UCSD since it is still under the 40k however, although that will be more up to you. I don't know too much in terms of differences bw Baylor and UCSD besides location.

Baylor was a nice school although I'll miss the opportunity to sit by the beach haha. It seems like it doesn't make sense to pay an extra 25k to go to Emory when Baylor offers the same resources as all the other schools at a better price especially in the under grad perspective. But I just wanted to know if I'm overlooking any of the other schools or if Baylor has any down sides that should make me reconsider.
I assume you know this since you applied and got in, but Baylor is a pretty religious school with mandatory religion classes and chapel, rules about alcohol, sex, etc.