Urgent question: Case Western (CWRU) attrition rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Locutus of Borg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recall reading a a thread here on SDN where someone states that the Case School of Dental Medicine tends enroll more students more students into their 1st year DMD class than the school has chairs for. Although the school does not have an official (published) ranking of its students, it does keep a internal ranking list. So at the end of 1st year, the bottom few students (5 to 10) are told not to return for 2nd year. Could someone currently attending Case comment on the validity of this information?

Please respond at your earliest convenience as I have to make a decision to decline or accept Case's offer soon.

Thanks in advance to all those who respond.

Members don't see this ad.

Not a Case student, but I interviewed last year with their director of admissions and when I asked about hearing back from them he told me they would be carefully notifying/accepting people in rounds because they had a problem the previous year where they had too many people offered acceptances. Like I said, I'm not a student there now but if you don't get any other replies, it seemed like they were trying to make sure that wouldn't happen again.

Case tries very hard to keep all of its students all four years. There are many people who fail classes but all they have to do is remediate the course. Occasionally they will hold a student back a year based on academic performance. Even cheaters they keep around. Even people who are doing crazy things in the clinic they keep around. You would have to really screw something up to get dismissed from school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I recall reading a a thread here on SDN where someone states that the Case School of Dental Medicine tends enroll more students more students into their 1st year DMD class than the school has chairs for. Although the school does not have an official (published) ranking of its students, it does keep a internal ranking list. So at the end of 1st year, the bottom few students (5 to 10) are told not to return for 2nd year. Could someone currently attending Case comment on the validity of this information?

Please respond at your earliest convenience as I have to make a decision to decline or accept Case's offer soon.

Thanks in advance to all those who respond.

Current student at Case......Hey, the class of 2011 was over booked by 15 or so people. From what I've heard from the 2011 class, two people are in my 2012 class.

You are right, Case has an internal ranking system and does not notify students of their current positions.

And you are 100% incorrect about the bottom 5-10 students. Every class graduates almost all 70 students...those who do not either have HORRIBLE grades (and If i could light the word "horrible" on fire to accentuate it, I would), are complacent in the clinic, or dropped out due to lack of interest in dentistry. There is NO set number of kids they need to kick out...Go in the halls of the school and count the number of kids in the graduating class photos...all at 70 (minus the 1 or 2, if that...VERY VERY RARE!)

Good luck!

In all honesty, I believe it is harder to get kicked out of Case than it is to graduate. There are people who have remediated more courses than they've passed on the first try, failed boards more than once, and even been caught cheating..............and they're STILL around! Take that for what it's worth.

1391 Sheffield in South Euclid - Family Neighborhood about 10 min. from Case and Hospitals....

We have lived in this duplex for the past 4 years and have been able to pay over half of our mortgage while owning a home. We are moving out because we having our 3rd child in July.

Upper Unit earns $550 and lower $850/ month. It depends on where you would live how much you could cut your mortgage! (Not to mention the tax incentives for first time buyers.) Each unit has 2 bedrms/1 bath and large kitchens. Lower has hard wood floors in living rm. and bedrms + new flooring in kitchen and bath. Upper has new carpet through halls and stairwell and new floor in kitchen. Basement is shared and finished w/ extra bathroom. Washer and Dryer (plus appliances for both floors) included. 2 car garage. Large backyard. New roof in 08, newer windows, and drive way. All updates made through year 2012 to be approved as a rental unit in Sout Euclid. Near bus stop and walk to 24hr Giant Eagle, library, stores, and resturants.

We are asking what we owe on the home 145,000. (purchased for almost 20,000 more in 05) We are trying to sell before putting it on the market to save us and the buyer some money!

Contact Jared 216-410-0251 for more info. Pictures are available. [email protected]

Very clean, all rooms are newly painted...ready to move in with no work required!