Urgent Question: Dentistry + Benign Premature Ventricular Contraction (PVC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Locutus of Borg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a pre-dent. Recently, I've been diagnosed with arrhythmia, in the form of PVCs: Every few normal beats, I get a very weak beat following by a very strong one. I saw two cardiologists and after puting me on Holter monitors, serum protein tests, and stress eco (bike and treadmill), they both concluded it is benign (i.e. would not put me in danger of a major cardiac event) and did not recommend any medication, only to stay away from coffee, tea, soft drinks.
My concern is this: As dentistry require extremely steady hands, would abnormal heart rhythm such as mine, which may cause tiny vibrations in my hands during my "very strong beat", cause problems for me in d-school and future practice?

Many thanks to all who respond.

Members don't see this ad.

well you use a finger rest. So the question it, if you prop your hand up with your ring finger, can you hold a pen under control?

we rarely are stationary and you need controlled MOVEMENT, not just holding your hand still.

Hi all,

I'm a pre-dent. Recently, I've been diagnosed with arrhythmia, in the form of PVCs: Every few normal beats, I get a very weak beat following by a very strong one. I saw two cardiologists and after puting me on Holter monitors, serum protein tests, and stress eco (bike and treadmill), they both concluded it is benign (i.e. would not put me in danger of a major cardiac event) and did not recommend any medication, only to stay away from coffee, tea, soft drinks.
My concern is this: As dentistry require extremely steady hands, would abnormal heart rhythm such as mine, which may cause tiny vibrations in my hands during my "very strong beat", cause problems for me in d-school and future practice?

Many thanks to all who respond.
If your hands are so naturally still that a PVC would produce detectable movement, your motor control is light-years beyond what is needed for dentistry. As others have said, you'll be fine.