Urgent Question...PLEASE HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilon09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many schools will not take anyone who previously matriculated at another medical school. You will have to do your research on a case by case basis.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:

Last edited:
It will be doubly difficult to get into a US school with a previous withdrawal and especially a dismissal. You should probably just stay at your school, whoever has passed does not want u to ruin your career over it.

Last edited:
They will know because you have to submit your transcripts to AMCAS. It will say dismissed or the equivalent on there. Stay where you are. If you drop out, take classes, and don't get in, you risk having your MCAT scores expire and having to deal with that crap again.

Last edited:

I mean, I realize that no matter what, I have to say that I attended medical school previously, but I am wondering how badly that will affect me in the application process....

I won't sugar coat it. It is very unlikely you will be able to get into a US allo med school after matriculating at a caribbean school. It would be even more unlikely if your transcript says you were dismissed, but that's like saying a 0.001% chance is different than a 0.002% chance. Your best chance of becoming a US doctor is to finish up at your current program, and then match, prematch, or scramble into something stateside. Half of all US med school applicants don't get in anywhere, and US med schools are getting as many as 10,000 applications. So they really aren't going to be interested in someone who already went offshore and even less interested in someone with blemishes on their record like a dismissal or not having completed a program they started.

You will have to fill out the AMCAS for entry into medical school. On that application, you will be asked if you previously matriculated in medical school. Unless you are going to lie, you have to answer that you had previous matriculation. If you had a previous matriculation, you are going to have to furnish transcripts.

If you went offshore in the first place, the chances are that you were not a good candidate for medical school here in the United States. Your uGPA and MCAT scores are going to be even less competitive as the year has gone by meaning that you are quite unlikely to get in and tranfer is likely out of the question as most US medical schools do not take offshore transfers.

Your best course of action is to not allow yourself to become dismissed from your present school. Take a leave of absence and get your work completed. At that point, you can think about coming back to the US if you can get here for residency.

Dropping out of medical school is a big RED FLAG to many medical schools. Not saying you don't have a chance, but think about what you would do if you were on admissions. Would you accept a student that has already dropped out once elsewhere? There is obviously a higher percentage chance this student would drop out again.

Have you talked to your school's student affairs dept. and explained the situation fully? Many schools are lenient on this issue.

Unless you are experiencing depressive like symptoms from the loss, I would advise you stick with school. You can always take the next year off, or transfer to a US school after year 2. There are plenty of options that don't involve dropping out.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Medical schools are funded based on how many doctors they have in training, so it's critical for them to accept students that they know are dedicated and capable of handling the workload. Schools actually take a huge huge blow if a student withdraws and a valuable seat is wasted. As you probably know, the best way to predict somebody's future behavior is to observe their past behavior. Scientifically, it has been shown that people rarely change. Now put yourself in the shoes of the schools that you hope to apply to. They are receiving 10,000 plus applications and accepting a tiny percent of them. Do you think they would be willing to take a chance on a person who historically did not have the numbers to be accepted to a US medical school and on top of that, gave up such a valuable seat once before? They are going to want to play it safe and give that seat to someone with a clean record. And believe me, no matter who you are, there are thousands of other applications that would easily replace you. It's just the way it is. You are just going to have to accept the fact that if you want to become a doctor, it will have to be through the school you are attending. I'm sure you're going through a really tough time and I'm sorry for your loss. It would probably be healthy to take a leave of absence if possible and collect yourself. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be insensitive, but what are you going to do if you come home? Maybe your school can give you a leave for a week or something and you can make up any work you missed.

Your family will understand that you have other obligations right now.
If you are dismissed, not only are you not getting into a US school, chances are you are not getting back into a carib.

Think very carefully about this before you do anything.

Last edited:
With a 30 MCAT and okay GPA, you can always try DO, no?

Last edited:
I was planning on retaking the MCAT and doing a post-bac program to boost my gpa. ...
I just thought that if I could withdraw or something before I actually finish the semester off then I can go home, try to figure things out and then maybe try applying in USA again.

As mentioned above, there is no point in the MCAT postbac route. You cast your die when you matriculated, and that's not really something you can just "do over" in the eyes of most US med schools. Your best odds are going to be to finish up your offshore coursework and try to end up in the US for residency. Sorry.

Dropping out of medical school is a big RED FLAG to many medical schools. Not saying you don't have a chance, but think about what you would do if you were on admissions. Would you accept a student that has already dropped out once elsewhere? There is obviously a higher percentage chance this student would drop out again.

Have you talked to your school's student affairs dept. and explained the situation fully? Many schools are lenient on this issue.

Unless you are experiencing depressive like symptoms from the loss, I would advise you stick with school. You can always take the next year off, or transfer to a US school after year 2. There are plenty of options that don't involve dropping out.

:thumbup: Agree.

I don't have data to back it up or anything, but empirically, it seems as though it would be much better to withdraw with the school's blessing than to drop out without it. Talk to the school, and try to make arrangements to leave on their terms.

But if your goal is to be a doctor, you should know that the easiest way to get there from here is to do well at the school you're at (if you can't continue right now, then try to get a leave of absence or something and come back). It will be much more difficult to restart the whole process by trying to get into a different medical school.

Last edited:
Have you actually talked to someone at your school? From your post, it seems like you are just following the rules, but sometimes there are exceptions. I would go talk to someone at the school, explain that someone died and see what they can do. I would not just run away without checking out your options.

It's not because of my family pressuring me to come home that I want to do so. It's just that a very close family member passed away and I am unable to concentrate or study and feel really depressed. I don't think the school will give me a leave because I am almost done with the semester.

This has just been a really huge blow and I need some time to think things through. I can't just mentally go back to school after everything that's happend, which is why I was going to wrap things up here, come home and take a semester off and figure out my options. I realize that worse case scenario I can go back to a different caribbean school but I really don't want to.

The reason I didn't get into a US school had little to do with my mcat and gpa (although I am willing to work on both and make them even better) but more to do with the fact that I did not have enough of a history of classes under my belt during my undergraduate years because I went to Europe to study for two years. So I ended up in the caribbean in the first place after being young and stupid, listening to people around me and applying so that I "don't waste time." Now that I have been there and all of these things have happend, I would just like the opportunity to come back, be closer to home and go to medical school.

I'd like to start by saying that my mom passed away two weeks before our finals this year so I understand how impossible it seems to focus when you are going through a major loss. But it CAN be done. If you are going to be a physician you will likely face a similar situation in your career down the line where you can't take off the full mourning period and are expected to perform at a high level of functioning pretty quickly after the event. Its just part of this road. I took off a week to go home and do funeral stuff and my school let me take my finals a week late. It wasn't a happy time but it was totally doable. If you've been keeping up with your work and you have more than a handful of weeks until the next big exam I would bet that you could take a week off to process your emotions and not even need to push exams back.

Last edited:
I wanted to talk to someone on Monday but there is a faculty retreat so I have to wait until Tuesday morning; which is just horrible because my last exam for the semester is Tuesday afternoon. I emailed my advisor and I am hoping he checks his emails over the weekend and can tell me what my choices are. See, I don't think I will be allowed to withdraw or take a leave of absence because it's so close to the date of the final.

I guess I will found out soon enough. I am so distraught I can't even study for the final. I am hoping the dean or someone just understands my situation and will allow me to withdraw or something so that I don't have a dsimissal on my record and I don't lose out on future chances to apply elsewhere; or even at this school itself.

Thanks for your help.
definitely email who you can over the weekend, do waht minimal studying you can force yourself to do to forget the situation and wait until you talk to someone would be my suggestion.. i am so sorry for your lose and I hope that you can make it through this.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss and wish you the best through this. Perhaps you can petition to just take a year off and come back after you've had time to sort through things?

Last edited:

Last edited:
to what i know, US med school are strict on ppl who dropped out from med school and yea it is true lots of them just dont even give you secondary but I think rules are different for international students, because someone could migrate from a different country right middle of thier studies and start all over again here in u.s. so def call the med schools u want to go to.

Last edited: