Urgent Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clarkenti

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to everyone...

I would like to know if someone know more about ( green card holder) , (permanent residence) i just got married with an american woman and i applyied to be a permanent residente, i will get my social security and work permit next month, so i want to know if I'm already permanent residente or not? cause i want to apply for a college and I dont know if they will let me in as a permanent residente...
Please... i need informations about it

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Clarkenti
Hi to everyone...

I would like to know if someone know more about ( green card holder) , (permanent residence) i just got married with an american woman and i applyied to be a permanent residente, i will get my social security and work permit next month, so i want to know if I'm already permanent residente or not? cause i want to apply for a college and I dont know if they will let me in as a permanent residente...
Please... i need informations about it

thanks

Clarkenti, the application for a U.S. green card as a family-based petition (marriage) is lengthy. The minimum time I?ve heard of is 9 months and it can take up to a few years, I?m sad to say. From the information you've provided, it does not seem that you are currently a permanent resident of the U.S. I am not a lawyer or a government official so this missive should not be considered legal advice. I have just gone through some of this process myself so I can only talk of my personal experience in the hope that it may help you.

After filing the initial paperwork (which you have done...congratulations!!), you will be assigned a number and eventually invited for an interview and so will your wife. Following this interview, you will be required to undergo an immigration medical exam if you have not already done so (form I-695), and then you will be fingerprinted - they will contact you with the address of an agency close to you that will do this.

If all of the above runs smoothly, you will be granted the permanent resident status (green card holder) although this is only on a provisional basis. After the anniversary of the second year of having the green card, you may appeal to the BCIS to have that provisionality removed (and yes, they charge you another fee). You may or may not be asked to attend another interview - I'm sorry I don't know the specifics on that point. When this provisionality is removed, you will be issued your permanent green card and you may come and go as you please. Please note that within the two year period where your green card is considered "provisional", you are entitled to all the benefits of a permanent green card holder (student loans etc.). The only thing you need to be careful about is that there is a maximum period of time in which you're not allowed to be absent from the U.S....I think it's six months but you should check.

I think that you can still be present in the U.S.A. as a student and for that, you'll need an F-1 visa. There is another caveat: if you were on an F-1 visa and filed for permanent residency status while in the U.S., you're not allowed to leave the country while that paperwork is pending or it will be nullified. However, you can apply for "advanced parole" (for another fee) to be absent for a short period of time. It seems that you have filed for your green card while outside of the U.S., so there may be additional things you need to consider. I would contact the BCIS directly.

I hope some of that makes sense and even helps. Good luck

hiya
i had a completely different experience.i married an american citizen and i got my papers in a month what i got is called a alien resident card .this later on changed to a resident card aka a green card .later on in 2 years i got my citizen ship.
being a resident alien with a ss #alone should get you loans for school . even better is u could wait for the papers to come thru and take them to the finincial aid office in the college and they will be able to verify if you can get loans or not. dont worry more than any thing get your tofel scores and stuff like that ready for the GRAND entry to the college
good luck!!!!

Unless you have the plastic thing in your hand, you can not call yourself a PR. Yes, You can get FA by being a resident alien, but the admissoion office will still consider you as an international applicant.

When I was applying for medical school, they asked me to show them the card and wanted to make copy of the card. While I had my Alien Number, I did not have the card at that time and I had to classify myself as International Applicant. It sucks but that is the way it is.

BuddinDoc, how did you become a citizen so quick? I thought you have to be a PR for five years to apply for citizenship.