URGENT: Quick Review On How To Apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading numerous past threads, I think I have a general idea of how to go about applying to dental schools. However, I just wanted to make sure I understand the process 100%:

MAY
- write your personal statement
- Mid-May, AADSAS opens... fill out and submit electronic portion to the AADSAS as soon as possible
- Submit transcript request forms to all attended university/college institutions
- Collect letter of recommendations (LORs), with attached matching request form, and seal each individual LOR in its own envelope. Place each of the LORs' envelopes in a larger envelope.
- Mail physical portion to the AADSAS, which should include the following:
- application fee​
- large envelope containing sealed LORs​
- personal statement​

JUNE
- your entire AADSAS profile, including the electronic and physical portions, should be completed and in transit to the AADSAS. Once the AADSAS receives your fee, LORs, transcript, and personal statement, it takes about 8 weeks to process your profile. Therefore, according to this timeline, schools should get your application around August.

JULY
- If you haven't taken the DAT yet, take it now. It takes about 2 weeks for your DAT scores to reach schools. Therefore, the schools should get these scores around August.

AUGUST- schools should begin receiving both your application and DAT scores. once both are attained, your application will be seriously considered, and interviews will be sent out.

Is this correct? If not, point out which part is incorrect. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

After reading numerous past threads, I think I have a general idea of how to go about applying to dental schools. However, I just wanted to make sure I understand the process 100%:

MAY
- write your personal statement
- Mid-May, AADSAS opens... fill out and submit electronic portion to the AADSAS as soon as possible
- Submit transcript request forms to all attended university/college institutions
- Collect letter of recommendations (LORs), with attached matching request form, and seal each individual LOR in its own envelope. Place each of the LORs' envelopes in a larger envelope.
- Mail physical portion to the AADSAS, which should include the following:
- application fee​
- large envelope containing sealed LORs​
- personal statement​

JUNE
- your entire AADSAS profile, including the electronic and physical portions, should be completed and in transit to the AADSAS. Once the AADSAS receives your fee, LORs, transcript, and personal statement, it takes about 8 weeks to process your profile. Therefore, according to this timeline, schools should get your application around August.

JULY
- If you haven't taken the DAT yet, take it now. It takes about 2 weeks for your DAT scores to reach schools. Therefore, the schools should get these scores around August.

AUGUST- schools should begin receiving both your application and DAT scores. once both are attained, your application will be seriously considered, and interviews will be sent out.

Is this correct? If not, point out which part is incorrect. Thanks.

You don't mail in your personal statement, instead you cut and paste it into the online application and send it in like that.

... I'd also consider starting my personal statement now, rather than in May. It ended up taking me a LOT longer than I thought it would.

Members don't see this ad :)
LORs are generally mailed by the people who wrote them, at least that's how it worked for me last year.

LORs are generally mailed by the people who wrote them, at least that's how it worked for me last year.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that you can opt to send them yourself. I thought you can seal each LOR in its envelope, have each recommender sign the sealed flap, and place all of the envelopes in a larger sealed envelope. :confused:

Has anyone sent LORs themseleves?

Why so urgent?

Yes- I think what you are saying is correct - but if your school has a chair/ committee, than you are suppose to do that, your university chair/ committee will mail out everything for you, along with their statement about you. Is this correct? I'm pretty sure:)

my general advice is to make sure your application is complete at each school. speak to the admission office to confirm that they receive everything. also, definiely apply early and send the secondaries apps/fees as soon as you receive them.

in the months of july, august & september, find some activity you enjoy, whether it is your hobby, academics or just plain work... waiting process simply sucks and you want to keep yourself occupied with something non-related to application process.

best of luck to yall

I believe it is around 2 weeks.