Urgent!! Should I drop out of post-bacc program when I have MD interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinbeats

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I signed up for a post-bacc program about 1 week before I got my first interview. However up to date I have a total of 3 interviews. The post-bacc program is really tough and due to obligations in my family and because of my interviews I really can't focus in the program. Also the classes are pretty strict as in most of the classes have a midterm and final which determines the whole class grade. So, if i bomb anyone of those exams I pretty much messed up in post-bacc and probably shut the doors to medical school forever?

A) Should I suck it up and continue the post-bacc program and sort of not devote 100 % of my effort to my 3 interviews?
or
B) Should I drop out of post-bacc program and devote 100 % of my time to the interviews, nail the interviews and probably get accepted?

NOTE:- * My major concern was that will clinical experience be enough for the one year gap in between now and medical school. Or will medical schools be a little concerned that I'm not going to school for one year and just studying at home?

EDIT:- The schools that offered me the interview are totally unaware of the program. I was unable to update them on it because I got the interviews around the same time I signed up for the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would stick with it. You entered 'future coursework' on your application and this may very well have been a factor in them offering you the interview. Just something to think about.

I would stick with it. I'm working full-time (40-60 hours per week) and taking upper-level bio courses, all while preparing for interviews. You're busy as heck, but it can be done.

Also, what he said.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would stick with it. You entered 'future coursework' on your application and this may very well have been a factor in them offering you the interview. Just something to think about.

The schools that offered me an interview are NOT aware of the post bacc program.....

The schools that offered me an interview are NOT aware of the post bacc program.....

Oh, never mind my post then. In any case I think continuing with the post bac program would be a wise safety measure in case things don't turn out well (at least you'll have something substantial to add to your next application if need be).

Saggy... bro I love you but...

Catalystik brought this up earlier... unless the slated coursework is a pre-requisite that MUST be completed.. you don't need to complete jack.

The only reason this would bring up problems would be... "So Mr.Smith, what have you been doing since your AMCAS submission?"

*Pauly D accent*

"Well, I dropped out of my post-bacc so I could acquire lazy skills... and eff mad bitches..."

"Errr... any volunteering?"

"Hell no... I don't have time fo that"

Saggy... bro I love you but...

Catalystik brought this up earlier... unless the slated coursework is a pre-requisite that MUST be completed.. you don't need to complete jack.

The only reason this would bring up problems would be... "So Mr.Smith, what have you been doing since your AMCAS submission?"

*Pauly D accent*

"Well, I dropped out of my post-bacc so I could acquire lazy skills... and eff mad bitches..."

"Errr... any volunteering?"

"Hell no... I don't have time fo that"

Well I am currently still volunteering at a walk in clinic for 20 hours and will probably extend that to 30 hours if I drop out of this post-bacc program.

Well I am currently still volunteering at a walk in clinic for 20 hours and will probably extend that to 30 hours if I drop out of this post-bacc program.

That's a positive thing! What is your GPA/MCAT?

I assume not that horrible with 3 IIs thus far...

That's a positive thing! What is your GPA/MCAT?

I assume not that horrible with 3 IIs thus far...

Well my GPA is actually pretty bad it's a 3.2 (with extreme upward trend talking about 3.9 senior year with mostly As in upper division classes) and my MCAT score is in the low low 30s but extremely unbalanced. I am URM and have a pretty crazy life experience with some extreme circumstances but that's a totally different story. So I signed up for the post-bacc pretty much for the GPA but I ended up getting 3 interviews from decent schools. All 3 actually happen to be schools that are not historically black so I was really surprised. Now I'm just wondering why the hell am I in the post-bacc when the purpose of the post-bacc is to get you an interview and I already have 3! I will probably have at least 2 more hopefully by the end of the cycle because I applied early and very broadly. Since my application is not the strongest I should be devoting everything to my interview and also working in the clinic (which I absolutely love). My interview is probably the last hope not this post-bacc program (which I could possibly do average on since I'm so stressed out about numerous things and close the doors forever?)

Well my GPA is actually pretty bad it's a 3.2 (with extreme upward trend talking about 3.9 senior year with mostly As in upper division classes) and my MCAT score is in the low low 30s but extremely unbalanced. I am URM and have a pretty crazy life experience with some extreme circumstances but that's a totally different story. So I signed up for the post-bacc pretty much for the GPA but I ended up getting 3 interviews from decent schools. All 3 actually happen to be schools that are not historically black so I was really surprised. Now I'm just wondering why the hell am I in the post-bacc when the purpose of the post-bacc is to get you an interview and I already have 3! I will probably have at least 2 more hopefully by the end of the cycle because I applied early and very broadly. Since my application is not the strongest I should be devoting everything to my interview and also working in the clinic (which I absolutely love). My interview is probably the last hope not this post-bacc program (which I could possibly do average on since I'm so stressed out about numerous things and close the doors forever?)

Hate to bring this up... but this is probably one of the factors that led to you getting interviews with that GPA and unbalanced MCAT. Nonetheless, they wouldn't have invited you, if they weren't seriously interested!

So, I would continue in the post-bacc JUST in case those IIs don't turn into acceptances. Which I hope they do!! Best of luck!:luck:

Well, to state what is probably the obvious... With a low GPA (even as a URM), a post-bacc is the safest route to put you in good shape for applying next cycle if you strike out this year. That said, if you don't devote enough time to your classes and end up with bad grades, you'll be screwed for next cycle.

I'm a buy extra chickens so I don't have to worry about counting my eggs kind of person, so I'd work crazy hard and stick with the post-bacc. But that's just me...

I don't know, I wouldn't count on getting accepted in three interviews. Might happen, but if you drop out of the post-bacc and don't get accepted you lose a year of academic progress. That's a lot more important than just volunteering considering your 3.2 GPA.

It should be possible to re-schedule your interviews so they land on Fridays...

I don't know, I wouldn't count on getting accepted in three interviews. Might happen, but if you drop out of the post-bacc and don't get accepted you lose a year of academic progress. That's a lot more important than just volunteering considering your 3.2 GPA.

It should be possible to re-schedule your interviews so they land on Fridays...

All it takes is one. Just saying.

dropping out seems like a horrible idea, especially just for 3 interviews. getting an acceptance turns this from a risk to a sure deal. Given the possibility of rejection still exists, do you really want to risk removing your strongest shot at improving your chances for next year?

dropping out seems like a horrible idea, especially just for 3 interviews. getting an acceptance turns this from a risk to a sure deal. Given the possibility of rejection still exists, do you really want to risk removing your strongest shot at improving your chances for next year?

Zing!