Jul 29, 2009
Status
Hello everyone. I’m new here and I need help. I just took the dat and let’s say my scores are not at all what I expected (or needed) and now I have to decide whether or not to apply for the 2010 cycle. Here’s a summary of my scores:

PAT: 17
Total Science: 18
Academic Average: 19

And to top it all off, I virtually have no experience of any sort.

So as you can see the stats are just terrible, especially the PAT. Considering the fact that even the easiest and most expensive dental schools such as USC have an average of about 20-21 for their entering classes, do you think it would be a waste of money and energy for me to apply with these numbers? Will any of the schools even consider me? Am I setting myself up for a big disappointment? On the other hand, I will be wasting a whole year by waiting for the next cycle. Also, is there such a thing as a black list you can put your name on by applying and not getting admission?

Anyways, I really need your advice. Please do reply as soon as possible. Any input is greatly appreciated.

By the way, I’m a transfer student at UCLA (with one more year to go), with a cumulative GPA of about 3.8 and a science GPA of around 3.7.

Thanks.

grx20718

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Your GPAs good so apply now. But you do need some experiences. They won't pick students who do not show any passions toward dentsitry. What will hurt you the most is not DAT score but your lack of experience.

Also, your UCLA GPA will weigh more than the cc GPA. How did you do in UCLA?

Apply now since you have good GPA and try to add some experiences into your AADSAS apps.

I wouldn't say USC is the easiest. There is not a single dental school that's easy to get into.

Btw, what happened during DAT? If you could get 3.7 in UCLA, it wouldve been a piece of cake to ace that DAT.

license2kill

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Apply, for sure. You stats are not that bad. And if you wanted to, retake the DAT in 90 days.

That statement about USC is going to rough some feathers~! :eek:

OP
A
Jul 29, 2009
Status
Hello and thanks to everyone for replying.

grx20718, my UCLA GPA is even higher than my cumulative GPA (~3.9) but I only have 33 credits from there. As for the experience part, I think it is too late for that now. I will definitely do some shadowing during my senior year, and I will put that on the application, but I don't think that will count.

license2kill, sorry if I offended you or anyone else but I was merely stating the facts. USC is THE MOST expensive dental school, and although, as grx20718 mentioned, it is not easy getting into any dental school, USC is considered to be one of the easier ones because of its high tuition costs. I mean don't get me wrong, I would still feel extremely lucky if I could get into USC, and the very fact of me mentioning it instead of say NYU is an indication of the fact that it is one of my top choices.

uncbestyet

10+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2008
Chapel Hill
Status
Dental Student
I would recommend submitting your application and you MUST do some shadowing. They will not accept anyone who has not seen the day to day life of a dentist first hand. Would be the best for you too b/c you may see what a dentist does and it may not be right for you. Better to find out now before you waste $$$$. Some procedures seem quick and painless, but others .... not so much. Guranteed to be asked about shadowing in interview.

DAT slightly below avg., but stong GPA will get you in somewhere.

karrotcake

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2009
Status
Dental Student
your PAT isn't very strong but you've got a good GPA. I suggest retaking your DATs because there are schools that like a high PAT. use CDPAT if you haven't already.

human instinct

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
as someone with similar stats as karrotcake..i was wondering if I am too late in the game to be submitting my application tomorrow? im also international so not sure if my chances are slim by now...any suggestions?

Apr 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I would suggest looking into schools which would love high GPA and able to overlook below average DAT . If you study and retake DAT at the later date you still might get a chance at the later date. Some schools like BU do interview all the way into spring. You do need to have some shadowing experience, while it is not super easy, it is not that difficult to find dentist which allow you to shadow. You can submit your application and follow it up wih letter from dentist that you did shadowing. Some schools will not start considering applicants until September so you have time.

sugarsting

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I think the only thing hurting you is lack of experience. If you do apply, mention that you plan to do shadowing starting NOW, and then do it.

Jul 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello everyone. I’m new here and I need help. I just took the dat and let’s say my scores are not at all what I expected (or needed) and now I have to decide whether or not to apply for the 2010 cycle. Here’s a summary of my scores:

PAT: 17
Total Science: 18
Academic Average: 19

And to top it all off, I virtually have no experience of any sort.

So as you can see the stats are just terrible, especially the PAT. Considering the fact that even the easiest and most expensive dental schools such as USC have an average of about 20-21 for their entering classes, do you think it would be a waste of money and energy for me to apply with these numbers? Will any of the schools even consider me? Am I setting myself up for a big disappointment? On the other hand, I will be wasting a whole year by waiting for the next cycle. Also, is there such a thing as a black list you can put your name on by applying and not getting admission?

Anyways, I really need your advice. Please do reply as soon as possible. Any input is greatly appreciated.

By the way, I’m a transfer student at UCLA (with one more year to go), with a cumulative GPA of about 3.8 and a science GPA of around 3.7.

Thanks.

Interview question: Hmmm....I see here that you applied to dental schools even before observing a dentist. Explain that to me.

OP
A
Jul 29, 2009
Status

Interview question: Hmmm....I see here that you applied to dental schools even before observing a dentist. Explain that to me.
"Well, having spent the past 2 years undergoing orthodontic treatment and spending countless hours at the orthodontist's office, I decided to become (yes you guessed it right) an orthodontist. The only way to accomplish this task was to go to dental school". So how was it? And it isn't just an answer I'm making up to convince the interviewer. It is the real motivation behind my decision to go to dental school.

needa20

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
Status
Dental Student
your def competitive. my dat was 18/19/18 with a much lower gpa. its not all about the DAT score (even though a lot of it is)

I agree that no shadowing/experiance will hurt you. ad comm would ask the same question im going to, how do you know you want to commit time/money, basically next 4 years of your life to dentistry? also, I was told during an interview that the school is investing time into you too, so want to make sure your in it for the long haul. one way to prove it is shadowing experiance

good luck

OP
A
Jul 29, 2009
Status
Thanks, you guys were really helpful. I finally decided to apply with these stats.