SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

URGENT! To negotiate or not?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by happysquirrel, May 17, 2007.

  1. happysquirrel

    happysquirrel nutcracker 2.0 2+ Year Member

    26
    0
    Sep 7, 2006
    So is it kosher to negotiate with a school to bring down the cost of attendance/tuition if you (nicely) tell them that another, more affordable school offered you a position?

    I'm planning on going to the more expensive school anyways, but it would be sweet to have lower debt at the end of my four years...

    Then again, I don't want to offend my first choice...would trying to negotiate be offensive?
     
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. babel

    babel 5+ Year Member

    369
    2
    Jul 20, 2006
    HumbleMD did this with at least 4 or 5 different schools, and he says it worked for all of them. Search for the "U Mich vs. Penn" thread (don't remember the exact title) - he mentions it there.

    Good luck negotiating! I say we should get all the money we can! :)
     
  4. IceMan0824

    IceMan0824 Holy crip, he's a crapple 5+ Year Member

    843
    0
    Dec 7, 2006
    Unless you're awaiting a certain acceptance and scholarship from a waitlist spot (or talking about DO or Texas), isn't it already too late to be attempting this?
     
  5. cnoevil

    cnoevil good with kids 2+ Year Member

    189
    0
    Sep 11, 2006
    a-hole of the south, tn
    im sure a school would love to give you a discount when others on the waiting list would probably pay full tuition with no questions asked....geez

    as for humble, he has been batting around 1000 when it comes to medical school admissions... I dont think you would lose an acceptance over it but it would probably make you look like a dick.
     
  6. Noeljan

    Noeljan Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    1,531
    0
    May 23, 2002
    I don't think they can bring down tuition. They may be able to offer more scholarship.
     
  7. dbhvt

    dbhvt Senior Member 5+ Year Member

    1,006
    2
    Aug 9, 2005
    "Hi Dr. Admissions director. I would really prefer to come to your school, but it will be significantly more expensive than this other school I have been accepted to. If the cost was comparable, the decision would be simple."

    How is this in any way dicklike?
     
  8. mongrel

    mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit 5+ Year Member

    I for one don't think it is. I say definitely ask them. You're being very upfront and polite about it- the worst they can do is just say "no"
     
  9. dbhvt

    dbhvt Senior Member 5+ Year Member

    1,006
    2
    Aug 9, 2005
    Ummm, don't forget the students on the waiting list were wait listed because the school preferred the OP.

    Don't listen to the wieners. Negotiate tactfully, and it might turn out in your favor. Just realize that you probably won't get anywhere if you have made up your mind and you're just trying to barter them down for the sake of it. If you might actually turn them down because of the finances, then it's reasonable to negotiate.
     
  10. bbabul01

    bbabul01 5+ Year Member

    412
    0
    Aug 5, 2006
    Boston
    I disagree. It's not as simple as "there are other people who will pay full price so screw you." If the school wanted those people, they would have accepted those people. Obviously if you got in, they want you. If they have more money to give, they may give it to you.

    As an undergrad I did this and got an extra $2k in grants. No questions asked.

    You won't look like a dick, you'll look like you're trying to be responsible about your finances and make a completely educated decision. It might also help if you have other circumstances to consider (which are necessary if it's totally need-based) for example dependant expenses or other things not included on the FAFSA.

    Try it. It can't hurt. The worst case scenario is they'll say no. They're not going to judge you or rescind an offer.
     
  11. postbacker

    postbacker Banned Banned

    1,208
    2
    Mar 27, 2007
    How are you in the position of holding multiple acceptances post May 15?

    Seems like you should have played this card before May 15...do you have some special, written understanding with all of your schools to be holding multiple acceptances while you ponder your future?

    Ten days ago, my advice would have been to absolutely negotiate, but now? Seems to me this could really blow up on you if you are "illegally" holding multiple acceptances...
     
  12. dbhvt

    dbhvt Senior Member 5+ Year Member

    1,006
    2
    Aug 9, 2005
    It's rude to wait-listers, but the deadline isn't as hard and fast as it seems.
     
  13. cnoevil

    cnoevil good with kids 2+ Year Member

    189
    0
    Sep 11, 2006
    a-hole of the south, tn
    good question

    not necessarily...maybe those on the waitlist applied late or they have other extenuating circumstances.
     
  14. postbacker

    postbacker Banned Banned

    1,208
    2
    Mar 27, 2007
    Thank you for your helpful, and may I say, beautiful post!
     
  15. cnoevil

    cnoevil good with kids 2+ Year Member

    189
    0
    Sep 11, 2006
    a-hole of the south, tn
    have fun exercising your tactful negotiation skills during your 3rd year when you are a floor bitch doing scut work. or better yet, tell your interviewers during the match that you would rather work 40 hrs a week rather than 60+ :D
     
  16. dbhvt

    dbhvt Senior Member 5+ Year Member

    1,006
    2
    Aug 9, 2005
    Your welcome:)
     
  17. happysquirrel

    happysquirrel nutcracker 2.0 2+ Year Member

    26
    0
    Sep 7, 2006
    I withdrew my acceptance on time, but the Dean offered me a (better) position on the school's main campus today.

    Thanks for all your input :)
     
  18. lilnoelle

    lilnoelle Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    2,892
    6
    Feb 21, 2006
    crazyland
    Wow, thats impressive. They want you enough to offer you a second acceptance after you rejected their first?
     
  19. bbabul01

    bbabul01 5+ Year Member

    412
    0
    Aug 5, 2006
    Boston
    Yeah, if that's the case. Negotiate every penny you can get. Go for it.
     

Share This Page