URGENT! To negotiate or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happysquirrel

nutcracker 2.0
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So is it kosher to negotiate with a school to bring down the cost of attendance/tuition if you (nicely) tell them that another, more affordable school offered you a position?

I'm planning on going to the more expensive school anyways, but it would be sweet to have lower debt at the end of my four years...

Then again, I don't want to offend my first choice...would trying to negotiate be offensive?

Members don't see this ad.

HumbleMD did this with at least 4 or 5 different schools, and he says it worked for all of them. Search for the "U Mich vs. Penn" thread (don't remember the exact title) - he mentions it there.

Good luck negotiating! I say we should get all the money we can! :)

So is it kosher to negotiate with a school to bring down the cost of attendance/tuition if you (nicely) tell them that another, more affordable school offered you a position?

I'm planning on going to the more expensive school anyways, but it would be sweet to have lower debt at the end of my four years...

Then again, I don't want to offend my first choice...would trying to negotiate be offensive?

Unless you're awaiting a certain acceptance and scholarship from a waitlist spot (or talking about DO or Texas), isn't it already too late to be attempting this?

Members don't see this ad :)

im sure a school would love to give you a discount when others on the waiting list would probably pay full tuition with no questions asked....geez

as for humble, he has been batting around 1000 when it comes to medical school admissions... I dont think you would lose an acceptance over it but it would probably make you look like a dick.

I don't think they can bring down tuition. They may be able to offer more scholarship.

it would probably make you look like a dick.

"Hi Dr. Admissions director. I would really prefer to come to your school, but it will be significantly more expensive than this other school I have been accepted to. If the cost was comparable, the decision would be simple."

How is this in any way dicklike?

How is this in any way dicklike?

I for one don't think it is. I say definitely ask them. You're being very upfront and polite about it- the worst they can do is just say "no"

im sure a school would love to give you a discount when others on the waiting list would probably pay full tuition with no questions asked....geez

Ummm, don't forget the students on the waiting list were wait listed because the school preferred the OP.

Don't listen to the wieners. Negotiate tactfully, and it might turn out in your favor. Just realize that you probably won't get anywhere if you have made up your mind and you're just trying to barter them down for the sake of it. If you might actually turn them down because of the finances, then it's reasonable to negotiate.

it would probably make you look like a dick.

I disagree. It's not as simple as "there are other people who will pay full price so screw you." If the school wanted those people, they would have accepted those people. Obviously if you got in, they want you. If they have more money to give, they may give it to you.

As an undergrad I did this and got an extra $2k in grants. No questions asked.

You won't look like a dick, you'll look like you're trying to be responsible about your finances and make a completely educated decision. It might also help if you have other circumstances to consider (which are necessary if it's totally need-based) for example dependant expenses or other things not included on the FAFSA.

Try it. It can't hurt. The worst case scenario is they'll say no. They're not going to judge you or rescind an offer.

How are you in the position of holding multiple acceptances post May 15?

Seems like you should have played this card before May 15...do you have some special, written understanding with all of your schools to be holding multiple acceptances while you ponder your future?

Ten days ago, my advice would have been to absolutely negotiate, but now? Seems to me this could really blow up on you if you are "illegally" holding multiple acceptances...

It's rude to wait-listers, but the deadline isn't as hard and fast as it seems.

good question

I disagree. It's not as simple as "there are other people who will pay full price so screw you." If the school wanted those people, they would have accepted those people. Obviously if you got in, they want you. If they have more money to give, they may give it to you.

not necessarily...maybe those on the waitlist applied late or they have other extenuating circumstances.

It's rude to wait-listers, but the deadline isn't as hard and fast as it seems.

Thank you for your helpful, and may I say, beautiful post!

Don't listen to the wieners. Negotiate tactfully, and it might turn out in your favor.

have fun exercising your tactful negotiation skills during your 3rd year when you are a floor bitch doing scut work. or better yet, tell your interviewers during the match that you would rather work 40 hrs a week rather than 60+ :D

Seems like you should have played this card before May 15...do you have some special, written understanding with all of your schools to be holding multiple acceptances while you ponder your future?

Ten days ago, my advice would have been to absolutely negotiate, but now? Seems to me this could really blow up on you if you are "illegally" holding multiple acceptances...

I withdrew my acceptance on time, but the Dean offered me a (better) position on the school's main campus today.

Thanks for all your input :)

Wow, thats impressive. They want you enough to offer you a second acceptance after you rejected their first?

Yeah, if that's the case. Negotiate every penny you can get. Go for it.