• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

URGENT: UTMB vs. SLU

veryconfused2020

Apr 28, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello all! I have to make a decision pretty soon here and was hoping to get some third party insight if at all possible! I would like to preface by saying that the two are pretty similar in their curriculum (lecture with some PBL). The biggest difference here is in tuition (UTMB being 100k+ cheaper). However, I am much more familiar with the St. Louis area and have established a pretty solid support system (and am only a 4 hour drive from home) which I would have to build at UTMB. In short, UTMB is slightly outside of my comfort zone as I am not sure how I will like the island life as well as being further from my support system. It does not seem to be a bad school at all though and I am wondering if the tuition difference is worth the leap of faith here?

UTMB

Pros
  • I do have some extended family here that are nearby, and have one or two acquaintances that would be attending
  • One of the biggest pros here would be the tuition, being almost 100k+ cheaper when all is said and done
  • Their curriculum seems pretty manageable- they have half day schedules so I would be done with all class required things by 12pm on most days, and the exams are based on NBME (good amount of free time to pursue shadowing, service, etc)
  • They seem to have a decent number of research opportunities, not that I am super interested in research but would be open to trying it
  • While usually I would take this as a con, the bigger class size of 230 actually comforts me in a way knowing I'd have more peers to get to know since I won't know many people on the island outside of that
  • While Galveston itself isn't a super great location imo, it is about an hour away from Houston which as a pretty sweet medical center and some more things to do there I would assume
  • The match list does seem pretty solid but it might be important to note it is a bigger class size and I would most likely have a P/F Step 1 score so I am not sure how I would be affected
Cons
  • Although classes are P/F as M1 and M2, the class is ranked by quartile (25% pre-clinical and 75% clinical)
  • Not that I am hell-bent on being in the city, but I do definitely like the city vibe more than the island vibe as I am not sure there is really much to do in Galveston
  • As of now, I would probably prefer to complete residency near home in Chicago and I am a little afraid of not making it out of Texas to be able to do this should I choose to attend (the match list has a lot of TX matches)
  • Weather: I grew up around Chicago and went to school in St. Louis so I am not used to the sometimes VERY hot weather (also the occasional hurricane season here)

SLU

Pros
  • I went to Saint Louis University for my undergrad (the med school is literally right down the street) so I am very familiar with the area, places to study, service orgs, people, etc. and even know a good number of med students at the school, side note I do not know too many people personally at UTMB
  • my SO is matriculating here in the fall and my brother is in STL as well
  • True P/F M1 and M2, class is ranked only by the clinical years
  • They have a 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum
  • They have a pretty solid match-list every year (I think and been told so anyway), only a handful do not match and most are pretty happy with their placement
  • While SLU itself doesn't do too much research, there are research opportunities via WashU which is very close by
  • Weather is really not bad at all
  • They recently built a much-needed brand new hospital that seems pretty cool
Cons
  • While St. Louis is a neat place, I've exhausted a lot in my time at undergrad and it would be nice to have a little change in scenery (I would even be studying in the exact same library) not sure if the Galveston scenery is necessarily the change I was looking for though haha
  • Other facilities (aside from the new hospital) are more outdated
  • Students don't seem as passionate or excited about being SLU med students, everything is pretty neutral and gives off a "gets the job done" vibe
  • ---
    Ultimately, I think I would have an easier time adjusting to SLU med and that UTMB would be a bigger adjustment for me. I am not too sure how both are considered based on name/reputation but I believe they rank similar enough? I am also not super confident in what specialty I am looking to do. Essentially, not that I am well-off but my family and I could make it work for SLU tuition-wise, I am wondering if the move to UTMB would still be worth the money saved though. Thank you again so much in advance and I really appreciate any opinions/advice that come to mind!

Last edited:

Kracin

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2017
  1. Medical Student
Schools are pretty equal in terms of reputation / outcomes.

What you're really weighing is the 100K vs. you being in St Louis. If I were you, I'd opt for SLU given brother + SO + already comfortable. Another way to consider it is it's 25K/yr for the location. Think of how 25K will feel in the future when you're making 200K+ per year.

You can't go wrong either way. It really is that balance between $$ and comfort - to which I think SLU is worth it

Reactions: 1 users
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.