Urinary output in patient with BPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cognitus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have patient in PACU. S/p fempop bypass. UOP low last hour. Urine seems concentrated in foley. I think patient is just dry but I also told nurse to check foley. She tells me that flomax can decrease UOP even in patients with foley because the relaxation of smooth muscle in bladder. This seems stupid and really off. Is this true or is she just a *****?

Members don't see this ad.

Have patient in PACU. S/p fempop bypass. UOP low last hour. Urine seems concentrated in foley. I think patient is just dry but I also told nurse to check foley. She tells me that flomax can decrease UOP even in patients with foley because the relaxation of smooth muscle in bladder. This seems stupid and really off. Is this true or is she just a *****?

Are you really asking this?

I’m asking and yes, flomax doesn’t do much in patients that already have catheter. Need confirmation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, she's a *****. Foley will drain with zero smooth muscle contraction just by gravity and siphon action.

Your next conversation with her should go like this: :eyebrow::nono::slap::prof:

That really doesn't make sense. Think about extreme examples.

If you have a patient with flaccid neurogenic bladder they have no bladder tone. You just stick in a catheter and the bladder decompresses.

If you botox the hell out of a bladder, it is essentially paralyzed, you stick in a Foley and it drains.

The things that lead to decreased urine in the Foley bag are either issues with the kidney (hypoperfusion) or some type of obstruction of both ureters or the catheter itself.

The bladder having little or no tone/relaxed smooth muscle has no bearing on whether there is urine draining into a Foley bag.

Last edited:
Are you really a doctor

vHbrNwt.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user