urine and blood plz help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTfutureMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are urine osmolarity, urine volume, blood osmolarity and blood volume related. I have in my TPR notes that urine osmolarity is inversely proportional to urine volume. But I do not understand why if urine osmolarity is high, urine volume will not also be high. Can anyone shed some insight on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Molarity is moles of solute/liters of solvent. The more material you have in the urine, the higher the concentration (molarity). If you have a consistent amount of material in the urine and decrease the overall volume the osmolarity will increase since the denominator value is getting smaller.

Urine osmolarity increases as blood osmolarity decreases because materials are being filtered through the glomerular bed of the kidney from the blood to the nephron which produces urine.

Last edited:
How are urine osmolarity, urine volume, blood osmolarity and blood volume related. I have in my TPR notes that urine osmolarity is inversely proportional to urine volume. But I do not understand why if urine osmolarity is high, urine volume will not also be high. Can anyone shed some insight on this?

well, you said that there are inversely proportional. this means if urine osmolarity is high, then volume must be low.

less volume of urine and more solute then osmolarity is higher. moles solute/liter solvent

Dilute urine is high volume and low osmolarity.

Concentrated urine is low volume and high osmolarity.

Water dilutes concentrations.... so.....