This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Upstage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
You odds for interviews at CA schools are excellent.
If you add the HBCU's, you need only add OOS schools that you might prefer to CA.

Thats amazing to hear. The other states i'd really prefer to go are DC,NY,FL, and maybe PA. Would adding schools like Emory,UPenn,NYU,Columbia,Cornell be overly ambitious?

From which country did your family immigrate?

for AA candidates who are first generation immigrants from Africa, is that seen as a negative or alter the manner that schools evaluate you especially in the context of other minority applicants? Also if service to the underserved (in America) is the focal point of your application does that mitigate any potential negatives due to not being born in America, or can this be interpreted as being disingenuous? I'm probably overthinking this but I figured I might as well ask:oops: Thanks for your time!

for AA candidates who are first generation immigrants from Africa, is that seen as a negative or alter the manner that schools evaluate you especially in the context of other minority applicants? Also if service to the underserved is the focal point of your application does that mitigate any potential negatives due to not being born in America? Thanks for your time!
There are preferences, but I was asking because non-Sub-Saharans (e.g. Egyptians) often apply as African American.
I don't want to give advice that is not relevant to the person asking.

Reactions: 1 user
There are preferences, but I was asking because non-Sub-Saharans (e.g. Egyptians) often apply as African American.
I don't want to give advice that is not relevant to the person asking.

So that I do not derail this thread, is it okay if I PM you to ask a quick follow up question?

@gyngyn @Faha @Goro

Hello everyone, now that my cycle is over I just wanted to update y’all for future references.

Cycle: ~13 interviews(including md/mph programs.
Main ones were: UCLA,UCD,USC,UCSD,Miami,Temple.

Waitlisted after first 4 interviews.

Offered full-scholarships(3) and full-ride(1) even after being pulled from the waitlist!

Thank you for your help, support, and what you all do.

Reactions: 6 users