URM 500 MCAT Need help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applepie1212

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am retaking MCAT in August but planning to send out secondaries with this score. I have a 3.72 overall and 3.65 science GPA. Over 250 hours volunteering, leadership positions, 100 hours as a TA, about 60 hours of shadowing, 80 hours of research, and great LORs. I have taken 2 FLs already and scored 505 and then 507...projecting a good score come August. Help me with my school list please!

FSU COM
University of Arizona Phoenix
Wayne State University
West Virginia University
LSU
University of Louisville
Chicago Med @ Rosalind Franklin University
Penn State
University of Arizona Tucson
FIU
Tulane
Wake Forest
FAU
UMiami
Iowa
NOVA
UF
UCF

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not wait for your improved score before submitting to more schools? You know schools aren’t obligated to wait to evaluate your application, right? Better “late” with a strong score than earlier with a score that was worthy of a retake in the first place.

Oh, and mayabe take the MCAT in July instead.

I am retaking MCAT in August but planning to send out secondaries with this score. I have a 3.72 overall and 3.65 science GPA. Over 250 hours volunteering, leadership positions, 100 hours as a TA, about 60 hours of shadowing, 80 hours of research, and great LORs. I have taken 2 FLs already and scored 505 and then 507...projecting a good score come August. Help me with my school list please!

FSU COM
University of Arizona Phoenix
Wayne State University
West Virginia University
LSU
University of Louisville
Chicago Med @ Rosalind Franklin University
Penn State
University of Arizona Tucson
FIU
Tulane
Wake Forest
FAU
UMiami
Iowa
NOVA
UF
UCF
I agree with OChemOficionado in some respects. Take the MCAT in July, but i think it’d also be worth it to apply now. I know lots of URMs, including myself, who were successful with a 500 MCAT. My list for you:
Indiana State
Wayne State
Wright State
Ohio State University
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Albany
UBuffalo
Seton Hall
Tulane
Geisinger Commonwealth
UMissiouri-Columbia
Drexel
Penn State
Central Michigan
Western Mich-Stryker
Toledo
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UC Charles Drew
UVermont
UMaryland
State MD’s
LECOM
PCOM
Some more DO’s (not the most knowledgeable person on this)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I am a FL resident Cuban/Puerto Rican, fluent in Spanish. I have a good study schedule going and all I am doing is practice practice practice. Finishing NS Practice Books and taking a FL next Friday, then devoting July to FLs and AAMC materials. August is just for FLs and reviewing them.

I suggest these schools with your current stats:
Florida State
U Florida
NOVA MD
Central Florida
Florida International
Florida Atlantic
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
You may be able to add more schools in September if your MCAT is over 505.

Do not apply to LSU, they take very few OOS.

I agree with OChemOficionado in some respects. Take the MCAT in July, but i think it’d also be worth it to apply now. I know lots of URMs, including myself, who were successful with a 500 MCAT. My list for you:
Indiana State
Wayne State
Wright State
Ohio State University
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Albany
UBuffalo
Seton Hall
Tulane
Geisinger Commonwealth
UMissiouri-Columbia
Drexel
Penn State
Central Michigan
Western Mich-Stryker
Toledo
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UC Charles Drew
UVermont
UMaryland
State MD’s
LECOM
PCOM

Indiana State has a med school? Now that’s a surprise.

Indiana State
Wayne State
Wright State
Ohio State University
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Albany
UBuffalo
Seton Hall
Tulane
Geisinger Commonwealth
UMissiouri-Columbia
Drexel
Penn State
Central Michigan
Western Mich-Stryker
Toledo
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UC Charles Drew
UVermont
UMaryland
State MD’s
LECOM
PCOM

You’re right that 500 can work. My point was that they should simply apply with their BEST app.

Schools are not obligated to hold on to an app until a new score comes in. They may be evaluated with the 500 at some schools where that score won’t get them an interview BEFORE their potentially improved score is ready.

If they just can wait and want to apply to a targeted school list with a 500 and then add more schools when their new score arrives ok cool, but that circles me back around to just apply with your BEST app in the first place.

You’re right that 500 can work. My point was that they should simply apply with their BEST app.

Schools are not obligated to hold on to an app until a new score comes in. They may be evaluated with the 500 at some schools where that score won’t get them an interview BEFORE their potentially improved score is ready.

If they just can wait and want to apply to a targeted school list with a 500 and then add more schools when their new score arrives ok cool, but that circles me back around to just apply with your BEST app in the first place.
I think a great compromise would be for OP to move his/her test date up to late June/July

Hi all! So I am likely taking my MCAT mid August as expected unless I score where I want in 2 weeks I may be considering changing it but I don't want to be rushed. I didn't mention this before but I just read somewhere that medical schools will superscore your exam taking the highest of the subsections. I took the MCAT without studying once which got me a 498 or something and the second time was when I got a 500 (going through a lot at the time). If I take the highest, that gives me a 127/128/125/125 for a 505. Does this affect my school list negatively?

Hi all! So I am likely taking my MCAT mid August as expected unless I score where I want in 2 weeks I may be considering changing it but I don't want to be rushed. I didn't mention this before but I just read somewhere that medical schools will superscore your exam taking the highest of the subsections. I took the MCAT without studying once which got me a 498 or something and the second time was when I got a 500 (going through a lot at the time). If I take the highest, that gives me a 127/128/125/125 for a 505. Does this affect my school list negatively?

Where did you hear that?! :rofl: SDN has identified ONE school that does mix-match scoring.

You’re all over the place. You got a 498 “or something”, but you were able to accurately superscore yourself? And if the superscore thing is true, which I’m pretty sure to isn’t, WHY WOULD A HIGHER SCORE HURT YOU?

Last edited:
Yeah I have only heard of one school that super scores. That is Medical College of Wisconsin. Go ahead and apply there but do not expect other schools to super score.

Where did you hear that?! :rofl: SDN has identified ONE school that does mix-match scoring.

You’re all over the place. You got a 498 “or something”, but you were able to accurately superscore yourself? And if the superscore thing is true, which I’m pretty sure to isn’t, WHY WOULD A HIGHER SCORE HURT YOU?

Please relax, it was late and I was searching amidst a typical pre-med panic attack. I didn't mean to say affect negatively.

Hello ALL So I got a 506 (cheers) should I keep the school list as is given where we are in the cycle?

I suggest adding these schools this week:
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton