URM, 508 MCAT, 3.36 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstGenStudent

Don't sweat petty things, don't pet sweaty things.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I want to get a general idea of what you more experienced members think my chances are from what you have seen and heard.

I am a first generation immigrant from Mexico (becoming US citizen this November, woo!), the first in my family to attend college, a non-traditional student (26 y.o. for this app cycle) and fluent in English and Spanish.

BS in Molecular Biology, BA in Sociology, and minor in Chemistry (graduate this December).

Stats:
Washington resident

URM

Qualified for FAP

My MCAT is a 508, 126(chem/phys), 125(CARS), 129(Bio/Biochem), 128(Psych/Soc)

cGPA is about a 3.36, sGPA is 3.1, non-sGPA is almost a 3.8 upward trend last two years of college.

EC's:
I rowed Crew for my first year at my current college and then stopped due to time budgeting.
I am an officer of the premed club
I am an officer of FIMRC club (Foundation for International Medical Relief of Children)
I have been doing research in organic chemistry for over a year
Volunteer at the local hospital once a week in the Endoscopy department
Volunteer at The Boys and Girls Club of America once a week as well
Presented research at an ACS symposium, and at my schools Scholars Week

LOR's
Excellent letters of recommendation from my science professors, non science professor, two MD's and a DO, and my research advisor (who was also one of the science professors).

Shadow:
roughly 85 hours of shadowing MD's 47 of those is in primary care and the rest are in other specialties, and about 43 hours with a DO.

Work:
I work per-Diem as a Spanish medical interpreter.
I also work a few hours a week taking spectroscopy samples in the Chemistry Department at my school.

Trouble:
When I decided to give college a try after a few years off I began at the local community college and earned my AA. I then transferred to Gonzaga University which turned out to be much more than I could afford. As a result I struggled trying to afford tuition and making time to study so my overall GPA took a dive there. After one year I transferred to a public school in western Washington and have done much better as a result. Even now I earn some money on the side by working for the Chemistry Department at the my current University.

Concern:

I am basically worried that my low gpa, despite upward trend and success in upper division science, will hurt me severly in the admissions process. I am applying to both MD and DO but wanted to get an idea of what my success rate is and if you all have any recommendations or advice. I have worked really hard to get this far and have taken on a considerable amount of debt to pursue an education and I'm really worried it will all be for nothing.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for any DO school so apply to at least 10 this month and submit all your secondaries by August. For MD consider these schools:
U Washington and the 2nd state school in Spokane if it opens for 2017.
Creighton
Loyola
St. Louis
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
New York Medical College
Georgetown
GW
Quinnipiac
Eastern Virginia
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Tulane

You are competitive for any DO school so apply to at least 10 this month and submit all your secondaries by August. For MD consider these schools:
U Washington and the 2nd state school in Spokane if it opens for 2017.
Creighton
Loyola
St. Louis
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
New York Medical College
Georgetown
GW
Quinnipiac
Eastern Virginia
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Tulane

Thank you so much for your response! I have a list of 6 DO schools right now (I'll research more and add some) and since I qualified for FAP I made a list of 25 MD, 8 of which include schools you have mentioned as well as Howard, Meharry, Morehouse and a few others around my GPA range. Everything so far is in order and should be good to go within the next few days for both DO and MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a green card holder, you are a good candidate for any private OOS school you prefer to your state school. I would not recommend the HBCU's for you. Last year, Howard matriculated no Mexican-Americans, Morehouse, 2 and Meharry, 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a green card holder, you are a good candidate for any private OOS school you prefer to your state school. I would not recommend the HBCU's for you.

Oh really? Why is being a green card holder a good thing?