This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexkills

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am an African American URM and wondering what my chances are at dental school this upcoming cycle I have a strong personal statement that discusses certain sensitive topics in my life and why I'd like to be a dentist. I have a 3.0 Gpa and a 2.7 science gpa as well as a 19AA/19TS/14PAT DAT. I have a downtrend in my gpa from a 3.5's my first two years to 3.0's and lower my last two years in undergrad. Does anyone believe I have a shot at any dental schools this upcoming cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's an uphill battle but you might have a chance. Apply early and apply smart. Try applying to Meharry and Howard, they take URM's in droves. If you don't get in this cycle, I'd recommend doing a master's or post-bacc to raise a GPA and probably consider retaking the DAT

Reactions: 1 users
It's an uphill battle but you might have a chance. Apply early and apply smart. Try applying to Meharry and Howard, they take URM's in droves. If you don't get in this cycle, I'd recommend doing a master's or post-bacc to raise a GPA and probably consider retaking the DAT
Thank you I'm hoping for the best!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello I am a New York state resident looking for a school list to put down for the upcoming cycle. My fellow sdn comrades please help me out.

3.0 gpa
2.75 sgpa
19AA/19TS/14 PAT :(
URM AA

Heres my school list so far are there any I should add or remove?

NYU
USC
HOWARD
MEHARRY
UMKC
LECOM
BU
TUFTS
WESTERN
MARQUETTE
WVU
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS OF CHICAGO
NOVA SOUTH
TOURO
RUTGERS
COLUMBIA (Just put it on there for ****s and giggles)
ASDOH

Last edited:
Is there any way you could take some classes to bump that science GPA up to 3.0?

I would recommend applying very broadly, hit a lot of private schools.

What are your ECs like?

Make sure to apply to Howard and Meharry as well

Of top, Meharry and Howard will be your best shots.
Add a bunch of private schools and make sure there are no gpa cutoff. You will have a shot because you are a minority.

I am sorry about what happened to you. I hope you get accepted, try to apply broadly and make sure to apply to schools such as Howard and Meharry. Apply mostly to private schools as well as state schools are harder to get in.
I have seen people with lower stats getting in. My only advice for now is to take courses during next summer and fall and spring to impove your gpa. Put it on your application in planned courses section. Once schools know you are planning to take this course or that, they can feel you are trying to improve your gpa and will give you more chances.
Best of luck.

Is there any way you could take some classes to bump that science GPA up to 3.0?

I would recommend applying very broadly, hit a lot of private schools.

What are your ECs like?

Make sure to apply to Howard and Meharry as well
I won't be taking classes until spring of 2020 as I am currently working in china until December. My EC's are above average.

I am sorry about what happened to you. I hope you get accepted, try to apply broadly and make sure to apply to schools such as Howard and Meharry. Apply mostly to private schools as well as state schools are harder to get in.
I have seen people with lower stats getting in. My only advice for now is to take courses during next summer and fall and spring to impove your gpa. Put it on your application in planned courses section. Once schools know you are planning to take this course or that, they can feel you are trying to improve your gpa and will give you more chances.
Best of luck.
Thank you for your insight unfortunately I wont be taking classes until spring of 2020.

Of top, Meharry and Howard will be your best shots.
Add a bunch of private schools and make sure there are no gpa cutoff. You will have a shot because you are a minority.
Is my school list okay should I add anymore or remove some what are your thoughts?

Is my school list okay should I add anymore or remove some what are your thoughts?
I wouldn't apply to Columbia for fun, unless you have money to burn I would apply only to schools I genuinely believe I have a good chance or will go no matter what.

I would also add the new england and roseman

I wouldn't apply to Columbia for fun, unless you have money to burn I would apply only to schools I genuinely believe I have a good chance or will go no matter what.

Much appreciated thank you!

I don't have all the required classes missing biochem should I still apply or do you think it'll be overlooked?

Looks like you're a reapplicant, so I would also make sure you have a new PS since you can't really use the one you applied with last year. Similar thing for LORs, I'd get hem updated. Also, 19AA/19TS and "above average" ECs are really vague. If you have one score inflating your AA to 19 with some scores (besides PAT) being under ~16, then you may be autorejected from schools. So, I'd look into retaking your DAT this summer. Your GPAs may also cause you to be autorejected from schools as well, so I think a Masters would be best.

For your school list, I'd remove UNC and ECU because they almost never accept OOS students, unless they have high stats (25AA+). You should add Buffalo since you're IS, and make sure for Stony Brook you have all their pre-reqs completed before you apply- they require this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Technically I am but I only applied to Howard and Meharry but didn't even pay for the supplemental for howard due to my original DAT score. I will most likely change my PS to incorporate my time in china shadowing a dentist here and how eastern medicine/patient values are different than western culture. More than likely keep my LOR's would like the current dentist im shadowing to do one but his english is very bad. My EC's would be a lot to list and go into detail here which is why I kept it vague I'm not worried about my EC's. My DAT is 14PAT, 16QR, 17BIO, 20 OC, 21GC, 21RC. I will NOT be retaking the DAT as a 19AA is more than enough I believe for an AA URM. Thank you for your input though I have added those two schools and removed UNC/ECU.

I'm going all out in applying this cycle so I'm adding a lot of school. I have added new england and roseman thank you!

remove UNC and Columbia for sure

remove UNC and Columbia for sure
UNC has been removed but columbia will be kept as I said I'm applying there for ****s and giggles don't mind losing the money at the end if I get rejected.

I will NOT be retaking the DAT as a 19AA is more than enough I believe for an AA URM.
Your GPAs are low and you should not ride on your minority status to get you into dental school. Improving your DAT is an easy way to show that you can handle the rigorous courseload that comes with dental school because currently your GPAs do not show that, unfortunately. The 19AA does not include your PAT score, which is an important factor schools consider in regards to manual dexterity basically. Also, weak LORs can keep you out, so be careful about that. Best of luck though

Reactions: 9 users
Technically I am but I only applied to Howard and Meharry but didn't even pay for the supplemental for howard due to my original DAT score. I will most likely change my PS to incorporate my time in china shadowing a dentist here and how eastern medicine/patient values are different than western culture. More than likely keep my LOR's would like the current dentist im shadowing to do one but his english is very bad. My EC's would be a lot to list and go into detail here which is why I kept it vague I'm not worried about my EC's. My DAT is 14PAT, 16QR, 17BIO, 20 OC, 21GC, 21RC. I will NOT be retaking the DAT as a 19AA is more than enough I believe for an AA URM. Thank you for your input though I have added those two schools and removed UNC/ECU.

I think the 14 PAT will automatically filter you out, resulting in an auto-rejection from most schools. Right? That seems really low, I'm sure you can retake and do much better. You did fine everywhere else, it's just that PAT score that is weighing you down. That 14 will be a huge red flag.

Your GPAs are low and you should not ride on your minority status to get you into dental school. Improving your DAT is an easy way to show that you can handle the rigorous courseload that comes with dental school because currently your GPAs do not show that, unfortunately. The 19AA does not include your PAT score, which is an important factor schools consider in regards to manual dexterity basically. Also, weak LORs can keep you out, so be careful about that. Best of luck though
Not riding on my URM status I just believe a 19AA/TS is enough as it is the average for matriculating students. Anyways thank you for your critiques.

Not riding on my URM status I just believe a 19AA/TS is enough as it is the average for matriculating students. Anyways thank you for your critiques.
A 19 is the average score of all DAT test takers, a 21 AA and 21 TS is the average for matriculating students. There is a large difference in those two scores.

BU and NOVA are private schools who really care about GPA and DAT, so consider removing those two.

A 19 is the average score of all DAT test takers, a 21 AA and 21 TS is the average for matriculating students. There is a large difference in those two scores.

BU and NOVA are private schools who really care about GPA and DAT, so consider removing those two.
Please provide your source for the averages. Thank you though I’ll be removing NSU.

Please provide your source for the averages. Thank you though I’ll be removing NSU.
With all due respect. If you don’t want the advice of people who have successfully matriculated or are in the process of matriculating into dental school to give you advice, don’t ask for it on a public forum. Every bit of advice above that goes against your predetermined plan and vision of your application is met with a snarky comment

My sources are straight from the mouths of multiple admission committee members both during my interviews and during presentations given at my pre-dental society

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
With all due respect. If you don’t want the advice of people who have successfully matriculated or are in the process of matriculating into dental school to give you advice, don’t ask for it on a public forum. Every bit of advice above that goes against your predetermined plan and vision of your application is met with a snarky comment

My sources are straight from the mouthes of multiple admission committee members both during my interviews and during presentations given at my pre-dental society
Just asking as the official kaplan site states otherwise. Here's my official source I could be wrong though. What's a good DAT score? - Kaplan Test Prep. Even the scores provided for matriculants in 2017 here DAT Scores for Dental Schools - Average, Good and High DAT Scores don't average into a 21.... I don't mind the criticism at all that's why I'm asking I just want correct information.

Last edited:
I'm sure if you would have taken the time, you could have found all this information on your own. All these values are directly from the Universities' websites. Everyone on here is trying to help you save money, and be realistic. Applying to the schools you've listed will cost you $1-2K, which is a decent chunk of change.. At the end of the day it's your decision, your money, and your life. Just have an open mind and take some of these advices openly and acceptingly...firstly retake DAT, maybe Masters or SMP, etc..

NYU:

• Mean Total GPA: 3.5 for admitted students not applicants..
  • Mean Science GPA: 3.4 for admitted students not applicants..
  • Mean AA, TS, and RC: 21 for admitted students not applicants...
  • Mean PAT: 20 for admitted students not applicants...The 14 you received is far below this, not sure if there is a "cutoff" at NYU
USC

• Mean Total GPA: 3.58 for admitted students not applicants..
  • Mean Science GPA: 3.50 for admitted students not applicants..
  • Mean AA: 20.3; Mean TS: 20.1
  • Mean PAT: 20 for admitted students not applicants...
HOWARD

• MINIMUM Science GPA: 2.85..... You have a 2.7 which isn't too off, however depending on total credits it'll influence ease of raising that GPA.
  • Minimum DAT: 18 in all subsections...You have 2 subsection that are below 18...
  • Couldn't find exact numerical values; however as you can see you don't meet their minimum requirements anyways.
MEHARRY

• No exact values posted, beyond having at least a 17 in AA and TS for being a competitive applicant.
  • Have heard and seen 3.22 being Average Overall GPA.. unsure on Total Science..
  • This could be a school where you have a reasonable shot... or rather a realistic one..
UMKC

• Average Science GPA: 3.7 ....
  • DAT AA is roughly 20 so you are good
  • No specifics listed
LECOM
  • Minimum Science and Overall GPA: 3.2
  • DAT scores of 18 or higher, no specific cutoffs.
BU
  • Overall and Science GPA of 3.3 and above
  • DAT score of 18 or higher in each section, note this is not a minimum..
TUFTS
  • Average Total GPA: 3.36
  • Average SGPA: 3.26
  • Average DAT AA & TS: 20
  • Average DAT RC: 21
WESTERN U
  • Average Total GPA: 3.26
  • Average Science GPA: 3.12
  • Average DAT AA, PAT, & TS: 20
  • 46 of the 69 enrolled were CA residents..
MARQUETTE
  • Matriculated Average Total GPA: 3.55
  • Matriculated Average SGPA: 3.43
  • Matriculated Average DAT AA: 20
  • Matriculated Average DAT PAT: 20
WVU
  • Average Total GPA: 3.6
  • Average SGPA: 3.5
  • Average DAT AA & TS: 18
  • Average DAT PAT: 19
  • Not even worth or close... need super miracle
NOVA SOUTH, TOURO, RUTGERS, and ASDOH you can do.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm sure if you would have taken the time, you could have found all this information on your own. All these values are directly from the Universities' websites. Everyone on here is trying to help you save money, and be realistic. Applying to the schools you've listed will cost you $1-2K, which is a decent chunk of change.. At the end of the day it's your decision, your money, and your life. Just have an open mind and take some of these advices openly and acceptingly...firstly retake DAT, maybe Masters or SMP, etc..

NYU:

• Mean Total GPA: 3.5 for admitted students not applicants..
  • Mean Science GPA: 3.4 for admitted students not applicants..
  • Mean AA, TS, and RC: 21 for admitted students not applicants...
  • Mean PAT: 20 for admitted students not applicants...The 14 you received is far below this, not sure if there is a "cutoff" at NYU
USC

• Mean Total GPA: 3.58 for admitted students not applicants..
  • Mean Science GPA: 3.50 for admitted students not applicants..
  • Mean AA: 20.3; Mean TS: 20.1
  • Mean PAT: 20 for admitted students not applicants...
HOWARD

• MINIMUM Science GPA: 2.85..... You have a 2.7 which isn't too off, however depending on total credits it'll influence ease of raising that GPA.
  • Minimum DAT: 18 in all subsections...You have 2 subsection that are below 18...
  • Couldn't find exact numerical values; however as you can see you don't meet their minimum requirements anyways.
MEHARRY

• No exact values posted, beyond having at least a 17 in AA and TS for being a competitive applicant.
  • Have heard and seen 3.22 being Average Overall GPA.. unsure on Total Science..
  • This could be a school where you have a reasonable shot... or rather a realistic one..
UMKC

• Average Science GPA: 3.7 ....
  • DAT AA is roughly 20 so you are good
  • No specifics listed
LECOM
  • Minimum Science and Overall GPA: 3.2
  • DAT scores of 18 or higher, no specific cutoffs.
BU
  • Overall and Science GPA of 3.3 and above
  • DAT score of 18 or higher in each section, note this is not a minimum..
TUFTS
  • Average Total GPA: 3.36
  • Average SGPA: 3.26
  • Average DAT AA & TS: 20
  • Average DAT RC: 21
WESTERN U
  • Average Total GPA: 3.26
  • Average Science GPA: 3.12
  • Average DAT AA, PAT, & TS: 20
  • 46 of the 69 enrolled were CA residents..
MARQUETTE
  • Matriculated Average Total GPA: 3.55
  • Matriculated Average SGPA: 3.43
  • Matriculated Average DAT AA: 20
  • Matriculated Average DAT PAT: 20
WVU
  • Average Total GPA: 3.6
  • Average SGPA: 3.5
  • Average DAT AA & TS: 18
  • Average DAT PAT: 19
  • Not even worth or close... need super miracle
NOVA SOUTH, TOURO, RUTGERS, and ASDOH you can do.
I truly thank you for your detailed response!!!! Money is not a problem so I will add as many schools as need be. If I don't get any acceptances in December I will be attending a masters during the spring semester though. I was just torn between starting my masters in the fall and possibly being accepted to D school but then forced to complete the masters before matriculating which would be a problem for me.

I just feel the only reason I should retake would be to improve my PAT otherwise in my opinion the rest of my scores are fine compared to other URM's.
that's not what you said
you said, "I just believe a 19AA/TS is enough as it is the average for matriculating students."

I won't be taking classes until spring of 2020 as I am currently working in china until December. My EC's are above average.
If you get multiple interview invites, are you just gonna fly back and forth from China to the states? Seem pretty expensive if that the strategy you taking.

otherwise in my opinion the rest of my scores are fine compared to other URM's.

I would not ride the URM status.
I am an URM. I got a 22AA, 22TS, 20BIO, 23GCHEM, 26OCHEM, 19PAT, 20RC, 19QR. Nova waitlisted me. Marquette and Roseman rejected me.
Tufts sent me an invitation, I tried to push it post December and they declined. I talked to some URM who will be attending Tufts and a lot of them have high stats. But in all honesty if it was me, I hated PAT, I would still give it a shot and go ahead and apply.

You have a good shot at Meharry and Howard. But go look at Meharry 2023 thread. They have a small class size and can be selective of their URM. Howard cutoffs are fake lol..I know a couple students that got in below the cut offs and it even shows it on ASDA.

Include your invasion and other disadvantages in your disadvantaged essay. It may help offset any points damage from the down trend in grades.

Howard
Meharry
Tufts
Touro
UMKC
NYU
UIC

USC
BU
UIC
Western
LECOM
WVU
ASDOH
Rutgers

Nova
Marquette
Columbia

This is just my opinion. You could very well get into all of them and I hope you do. Good luck

Reactions: 7 users
If you get multiple interview invites, are you just gonna fly back and forth from China to the states? Seem pretty expensive if that the strategy you taking.
Yes I'd have no other choice but to.

I am an URM. I got a 22AA, 22TS, 20BIO, 23GCHEM, 26OCHEM, 19PAT, 20RC, 19QR. Nova waitlisted me. Marquette and Roseman rejected me.
Tufts sent me an invitation, I tried to push it post December and they declined. I talked to some URM who will be attending Tufts and a lot of them have high stats. But in all honesty if it was me, I hated PAT, I would still give it a shot and go ahead and apply.

You have a good shot at Meharry and Howard. But go look at Meharry 2023 thread. They have a small class size and can be selective of their URM. Howard cutoffs are fake lol..I know a couple students that got in below the cut offs and it even shows it on ASDA.

Include your invasion and other disadvantages in your disadvantaged essay. It may help offset any points damage from the down trend in grades.

Howard
Meharry
Tufts
Touro
UMKC
NYU
UIC

USC
BU
UIC
Western
LECOM
WVU
ASDOH
Rutgers

Nova
Marquette
Columbia

This is just my opinion. You could very well get into all of them and I hope you do. Good luck
Your opinion is much appreciated, I will 100% be including everything in my PS. It looks like howard and meharry are definitely my best shot as I've gotten in touch with both schools and they've told me not to retake the dat or do a masters but to continue shadowing and get a new LOR. So fingers crossed it works out.

I've seen people get accepted at Howard with 14-16s on certain sections, I think you have a great shot at Howard. I would not consider WVU (out of state friendly/very competitive) and UMKC (priority towards students that live in the areas of Kansas/Missouri). However, give it a shot you never know!

Thank you for that, I swear I'm not trying to sound "snarky" but I just feel the only reason I should retake would be to improve my PAT otherwise in my opinion the rest of my scores are fine compared to other URM's. My gpa might be low but I've spoken to other people who have gotten into other schools with much lower GPA/DAT scores than me. I also spoke to various schools which have directly told me my original 16AA is what was holding me back otherwise everything else was fine.
Just curious, what was your feedback from Howard/Meharry regarding your 16AA. I am actually applying with that this cycle to a few schools because this was my third time taking it and I used Bootcamp. Would love your feedback from schools when submitted with 16AA

Your opinion is much appreciated, I will 100% be including everything in my PS. It looks like howard and meharry are definitely my best shot as I've gotten in touch with both schools and they've told me not to retake the dat or do a masters but to continue shadowing and get a new LOR. So fingers crossed it works out.
Did you get interviews or acceptances?

Howard
Meharry
Tufts
Touro
UMKC
NYU
UIC

USC
BU
UIC
Western
LECOM
WVU
ASDOH
Rutgers

Nova
Marquette
Columbia

So just curious, people have been accepted with lower scores at Meharry and Howard correct? I plan to apply with 16AA, but a little nervous by looking at this thread...I have already taken it three times. I used bootcamp the third time.

Geez... I'm sorry I missed this thread from the OP.

In my experience half of the applicant pool has DAT scores and subscores of 20+. URM's also. If you are just satisfied with 19's, good luck to you because DAT triage already puts you behind the majority of applicants, and 14 PAT is an auto-reject (lowest 10th percentile in my pool). Your GPA's also put you way behind the pack and the sGPA is too low for most faculty to accept, even for URM's.

You also don't necessarily get an automatic pass for being a URM for applications to Howard, Meharry, or Morehouse. If you didn't get an II from any of them, there's something else going on. There is certainly a compelling story that could explain the low GPA, but the story has to end with a strong finish with success in a SMP. If you don't have that ending, you won't help anyone who wants to advocate for you in deliberations.

Just curious, what was your feedback from Howard/Meharry regarding your 16AA. I am actually applying with that this cycle to a few schools because this was my third time taking it and I used Bootcamp. Would love your feedback from schools when submitted with 16AA

When I submitted with a 16AA I received no invites. I reapplied with a 19 and only got one interview with Meharry and they took a chance on me.

Reactions: 3 users