URM high GPA low MCAT, do I have a chance at top 20 schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just Jim

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help. My question is do I have any chance of getting in to any Top 20 schools. I think my MCAT really hurt me but want your opinion.
Here are my stats:
- URM (African American, African Immigrant and first generation college attendee in my family)
- cGPA of 3.88 and sGPA OF 3.80
- MCAT score 506 (124/125/127/130) improving on each section as the time progressed. I may have been too nervous in the beggining and was distracted. I messed up on my MCAT bad.

Clinical: over 1500 hours volunteering with a church group at local nursing homes for over 6 hours
Clinical: Hospital volunteer (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit front Desk - 18 hours
Clinical: Hospital Volunteer (general - 150 hours)
Shadow: 20 hours - Internal medicine - Gastroenterologis
Community: 100 hours Helping African and Asian refugees with life skills
EC: Hobbies like playing tennis - 1000 hours

Work: worked through college to pay one of the jobs being professional and worked serving the poor all over the state and internationally

Please let me know if it is a waste of time to apply to TOP schools. I was hoping to go to some top school but I think my MCAT hurt my chances. Opinion? I have no time to retake

Members don't see this ad.