URM (Hispanic)/Disadvantaged/Medically-disadvantaged/Poor-as-of-before-and-now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CleverName123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to a CC. I had a 3.0 with no science. Transferred to a California campus and had about a 2.3 there in a double major in the social sciences. 4 years passed. 2 of those years I was unemployed. The other I worked in mental health. I went back to the CC and will have around a 3.7-3.9 in post-bacc work. My cGPA will be 3.1 and sGPA 3.8 including all work ever done. Some standard EC: shadowing, leadership, tutoring, community work, volunteering in the ER and prompt care. If I get lucky, some research. Now here’s the thing: I’m pretty poor and realize my chances at MD schools is really low, especially being a CA resident. I’ve thought about just applying to a DO SMP (10-30k cheaper than MD SMP) and finance it with loans. Also, it might give me some credibility as to being able to handle courses tougher than community college. From there I’m hoping to get an acceptance at a DO school, but I’d like to be able to apply to some M.D. programs. I personally don’t care about the letters, but if I could save myself having to deal with it, I’d prefer that. However, I’m pretty poor and unable to apply to as many places as I wish. If I get FAP and the osteopathic equivalent, it will not really cover my flight and stay expenses AFAIK. I’m considering at this point applying exclusively osteopathic since they seem to be more forgiving and likely to accept me. What do you think? Any ideas? I wish money wasn’t my issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Applying is expensive. I had to carry a balance on my credit card for the first time due to application fees. I am still paying them off. To save money, choose your schools wisely. Try to limit flights by going to fewer interviews (after you get your first acceptance). Stay with student hosts instead of getting a hotel room. And if you don't have a job, get one. Good luck.