URM low gpa/ High MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OsirisPower

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to apply this cycle but decided to wait until next cycle. I was wondering about my chances getting into schools like Uchicago or USCF.

cGPA: 3.0-3.1 strong upward trend
sGPA: 3.0-3.1
MCAT:519
Ecs: Community Outreach Volunteering, research and leadership positions
Urm: AA male
Overall mission to serve communities that face health disparities.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UChicago and UCSF are worth a try if expenses aren’t limiting. Also apply to your state schools, HBCUs, and some mid-tier private schools.

Reactions: 1 users
The GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances for a MD acceptance are 75%. U Chicago and UCSF are totally unrealistic with your stats. Do you have any physician shadowing or clinical volunteering or employment with patient contact ? Where is your state of residence ?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances for a MD acceptance are 75%. U Chicago and UCSF are totally unrealistic with your stats. Do you have any physician shadowing or clinical volunteering or employment with patient contact ? Where is your state of residence ?
Thanks for responding. I know these schools are a reach but I figure it's worth a shot maybe they will take a holistic approach? I have shadow exp, I was a medical scribe and my residence is in the tri-state area.

UCSF matriculated 3 non CA residents with a GPA under 3.6 and U Chicago matriculated 9 with a GPA less than 3.7. You are nowhere near their 10th percentile.
These are are realistic schools where you could receive interviews:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Also apply to your state public medical schools and also at least 6 DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. Affirmative action is powerful and URM doctors are sorely needed. That being said: without affirmative action, you'd be a middling DO candidate and have a puncher's chance at your state schools. Affirmative action isn't going to turn you into UCSD material, it'll turn you into a guy with a solid shot at HBCUs, maybe a decent chance at state schools, and a puncher's chance at midtiers.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I was going to apply this cycle but decided to wait until next cycle. I was wondering about my chances getting into schools like Uchicago or USCF.

cGPA: 3.0-3.1 strong upward trend
sGPA: 3.0-3.1
MCAT:519
Ecs: Community Outreach Volunteering, research and leadership positions
Urm: AA male
Overall mission to serve communities that face health disparities.
Have you considered a post bacc