URM, Low GPA, Yet to take MCAT, NV resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momo585

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here and heard about SDN through a friend. I've been browsing through the SDN and I see it's very informative. I wanted your guys' opinion on my situation, and where I should go from where I am. I am a Nevada resident, and went to an out-of-state state school. I graduated last May with a 2.96 GPA. I have been volunteering at the hospital and coming up on 100 hours, and plan on continuing. I have shadowed with an MD for the past two years. I have had other volunteering experience with kids' summer camps over the past two years as well. I have been trying to find a job in a hospital as an EKG monitor technician, but it has been difficult to even get an interview. I plan on beginning my studying for the MCAT in October, and taking the MCAT early 2019. I also plan on re-taking two classes that I received a D in throughout my undergraduate career, in the Spring semester of 2019. I wanted to know if there was anything else I should be considering doing during this gap year? Should I only aim for DO schools? What should I aim for on the MCAT? What schools should I focus on? Is an SMP or Post-Back more appropriate? I feel somewhat uninformed and naive as I read throughout SDN, and I want to know what to apply to my situation in order to help me take steps forward. I know I'm well below the average GPA, but I do feel like I can make it happen.

(edit) Wanted to add that I am an African American male.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First, congratulations on your progress toward become a doctor. I think one thing to think about and reflect upon, is why you received a 2.96 GPA. I think figuring out why that happened, and how you can prevent that from happening again, will allow you to develop a different and hopefully more successful approach to studying and test taking while preparing for the MCAT and retaking those courses.

Thanks, I think I've identified it as pretty much being naive to what it really took to get into medical school. I honestly didn't go through any hardships outside of class or anything like that throughout undergraduate, I was just lazy and somewhat ignorant to the fact that I needed a much higher GPA in order to be competitive. My mindset was pretty much, "just pass my classes and I'll be fine."