URM Medium MCAT Terrible GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveschoollll

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances?

I’m black. I have a 2.54 sGPA and 2.63 cGPA over 10 years. I wasn’t a consistent C student, rather I had everything from Fs through As scattered all the way though with more B+ To A at the end of my B.S. Last 21 credits over 2 semesters is a 3.67 GPA. My MCAT is 506 on first try but only studied for 2 weeks a few hours a day. Plan to retake MCAT on a rigorous 3 month study plan shooting for 510-520. I have 15000 of clinical experience in hospital pharmacy setting with lots of patient/provider/medical chart contact, 300 hospitalist shadowing hours, great PS, great LOR, should have maybe 40 hours of community service tutoring / helping at a underserved clinic, was a collegiate and semi-professional athlete for all my time in college and am a father of a 2 year old child.

Current cycle I got one IS interview at MD school in Michigan out of 6 submitted secondaries but was rejected

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hm.

Is a SMP feasible for you? I think it'd do you wonders if you excelled in a 1yr program like that. Your MCAT isn't horrible by any means, but obviously if you think you could do better than that never hurts, as long as its a significant improvement. You definitely will need more volunteering hours. Are you geographically restricted? Why did you only submit 6 secondaries? Being geographically restricted will make getting into medical school much more difficult, being able to apply broadly will help tremendously in securing an A.

Did you apply to any DO schools?

Let's take things one at a time. Focus on killing the MCAT.

You did get one medical school in state to interview you. Did you meet anyone (virtually) during your interview to connect with, or they can connect you with? If you are limited to just your state, we need to get you connected. Message me and we can figure out a plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
really good mcat
more volunteering
maybe another 15-30 credits of A work
can you leave michigan?

You would benefit from a one year DIY post bacc at a local college (community college would be fine). Take enough undergraduate level science courses to raise your sGPA as much as possible. With your current MCAT of 506 and a higher GPA a year from now you could receive interviews at some DO schools and possible MD schools.

The problem is I can’t get into an official post-bacc program nor any masters program with a GPA as low as mine.

If I do a DIY 24 credit post-bacc at 4.0 my sGPA will go to 2.77 and cGPA to 2.76. I also have C- and D in gen Chem lab 1 and 2 respectively. Wonder if I need to retake those.

I applied to one DO school (and have not been rejected or II invited) which is MSU.

I am geographically restricted to the Midwest. Michigan/Ohio/Kentucky/Tennessee. I am a resident of Michigan that lives in Kentucky and would have to take post bacc in Kentucky. I would need to switch residence to here for instate tuition. I did not apply to meharry or university of Michigan.

I have signed up for volunteering. I hope tutoring is ok and that 3 months will be sufficient for the current cycle for my app.

The problem is I can’t get into an official post-bacc program nor any masters program with a GPA as low as mine.

If I do a DIY 24 credit post-bacc at 4.0 my sGPA will go to 2.77 and cGPA to 2.76. I also have C- and D in gen Chem lab 1 and 2 respectively. Wonder if I need to retake those.

I applied to one DO school (and have not been rejected or II invited) which is MSU.

I am geographically restricted to the Midwest. Michigan/Ohio/Kentucky/Tennessee. I am a resident of Michigan that lives in Kentucky and would have to take post bacc in Kentucky. I would need to switch residence to here for instate tuition. I did not apply to meharry or university of Michigan.

I have signed up for volunteering. I hope tutoring is ok and that 3 months will be sufficient for the current cycle for my app.
You do not need to enroll in a formal post-bacc. As I said , just take undergraduate level science courses at a local college. You should retake the gen Chem lab 1 and 2 and get at least a B+. There are several DO schools that you could apply to in that region a year from now with a higher GPA and your MCAT of 506 including UP-KYCOM, WVSOM, LMU-DCOM, MU-COM, LECOM.