urm (Native American) 3.75 cGPA 3.64 sGPA 498 MCAT Is it worth applying this cycle or should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Odessa23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting this for a friend who needs advice on whether or not they should bother applying or take another gap year and attempt to improve MCAT. They prefer MD but have a DO mentor and LOR and are open to it. New Mexico resident. Already have application prepped and ready to submit but got MCAT score back yesterday and don’t know what to do. 498 was right around their average, although their last FLE was 501 so they hoped to break 500 on test day. Thanks in advance for any advice whatsoever!!

1. cGPA - 3.75 / sGPA - 3.64
2. MCAT - 498 (124/124/125/125)
3. US Citizen (NM resident)
4. American Indian (Navajo Tribe)
5. Undergraduate- Unranked State School
6. Vaccination Clinic (non-medical) through Medical Reserve Corps and will be volunteering at hometown hospital San Juan Regional Medical Center (restocking rooms after they are turned over and assisting patients with any basic needs) projected hours around 100 this summer
7. Roughly 60 hours of research with a poster presentation at regional conference and school symposium
8. Shadowed a DO orthopedic surgeon and got LOR from him (61 hrs of shadowing), also shadowed ophthalmologist and Plastic Surgeon
9. Anatomy student volunteer tutor (ASV) (100 hrs).
-Volunteered at a local food bank 20+ hrs.
10. Inter-Club Council Representative for the Pre-SOMA (DO club) (70 hrs).
-Member of the National Society of Leadership and Success
11. Recipient of two undergraduate scholarships for all 4 years of undergrad: The Chief Manuelito Scholarship ($3,500) and the American Indian Services Scholarship ($1,000). I was selected for my Native heritage and for my academic achievements (Deans list 5x)
@LizzyM
@Goro
@Faha

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Strongly recommend to retake, but only when they are 100% ready for the exam. No matter how badly we need you are m doctors, it does applicants no good if they are accepted to medical school and are in such high danger of failing out or and failing boards

Reactions: 3 users
@Goro curious as to what the cutoff is? Is >500 decent enough to apply?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Strongly recommend to retake, but only when they are 100% ready for the exam. No matter how badly we need you are m doctors, it does applicants no good if they are accepted to medical school and are in such high danger of failing out or and failing boards
Ok thanks for the feedback I’ll pass it on.

While not absolutely necessary, is the student registered? Has the student participated in any diversity pipeline STEM programs? Any work with IHS or any FQHC or AHEC?

Anatomy tutoring is more like tesching, not community service. What else has this person done?

MCAT rule of thumb: 500-505 for DO, 510+ for MD as goals. But try to score as high as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Does your friend have any clinical volunteering/employment hours with patient contact ?
All of their hours and everything is what’s listed above, so around 60 shadowing and 100 projected through vaccination clinic.

While not absolutely necessary, is the student registered? Has the student participated in any diversity pipeline STEM programs? Any work with IHS or any FQHC or AHEC?

Anatomy tutoring is more like tesching, not community service. What else has this person done?

MCAT rule of thumb: 500-505 for DO, 510+ for MD as goals. But try to score as high as possible
Thanks for the feedback! I’ll let them know. All of their extracurricular is just what’s listed above.

So consensus is beef up app with more volunteering, more clinical, and a MCAT retake 500+?

Reactions: 1 users
So consensus is beef up app with more volunteering, more clinical, and a MCAT retake 500+?
200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact is needed. Even with a 498 for your MCAT you will probably receive an interview at your New Mexico MD school. They interview more than 80% of instate applicants and the 10th percentile for the MCAT is 498. So there are 10 admitted every year with a MCAT of 498 or lower. A 498 MCAT is also fine for some DO schools. Of course, a MCAT over 500 would open up more chances at other schools. With your current stats I suggest these MD schools next June:
New Mexico
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Creighton
For DO schools I suggest these:
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
NYIT-AR
ACOM
BCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
WCU-COM

Reactions: 1 users
Have your friend look into the Wy'east program if they are interested in pipeline programs. Also have them email [email protected], the national ANAMS opened membership to undergraduate pre-meds and offer mentorship to AI/AN applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm. How confident are you that you can make it through medical school? How willing are you to go to a DO school? That URM status will buy you around eight points or so on your MCAT...so you're now about like an ORM with a 3.7/506.