URM Non-trad Re-applicant seeking advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GD2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I️ applied in the 2019-2020 cycle with cGPA: 3.69 and sGPA: 3.7, MCAT: 503 (my weak area). I️ have a lot of extracurricular experiences and community service (total hours I'm not sure but fortunately good enough that it was brought up during one of my 2 interview invites). I️ also had a year of working at a clinic and 8 months of working at a hospital as a lab tech. I️ have no formal research experience as I️ changed to a pre-med track later in my undergraduate years and never heard back for PIs I️ reached out to.

I️ applied to 22 schools last time, but some were bad options, since I️ did not realize the state bias of 4 of them. But, regardless, only received 2 II at non-FL schools (my state). I️ also submitted my secondaries late: October-Jan. I️ learned my lesson there.

Fast-forward a year: I️ did an SMP program in Florida at a well recognized program for simulating the first year and a half of med school. I'm doing very well. I️ have not re-taken the MCAT, but I️ was considering applying again with my new application while studying for the MCAT and worst case scenario re-applying again after. Since I️ am non-trad I️ do feel the clock ticking. Advice is welcomed. I'm willing to consider all insight.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Did u apply md or do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Me and you have fairly similar stats and I got accepted into an MD this last cycle. You can do it, but if you really want to become a doctor you have to apply DO as well. I'm being a little bit of a hypocrite since I didnt apply DO. But I'm an idiot who was blessed to receive an acceptance. Retake the Mcat and poop on it, also add some DO schools into the mix. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Me and you have fairly similar stats and I got accepted into an MD this last cycle. You can do it, but if you really want to become a doctor you have to apply DO as well. I'm being a little bit of a hypocrite since I didnt apply DO. But I'm an idiot who was blessed to receive an acceptance. Retake the Mcat and poop on it, also add some DO schools into the mix. Good luck.
Can you tell me about your application? PM if that is more comfortable for you. I'd welcome learning more about your process since our stats are similar.

Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish ? Which schools did you apply to ?
I️ am hispanic and do speak and write spanish fluently. I'm a first generation college student as well.

I️ am hispanic and do speak and write spanish fluently. I'm a first generation college student as well.
You should include DO schools in your application.
For MD schools I suggest all these:
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Wright state
Indiana
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Georgetown
George Washington
Arizona Tucson
For DO schools I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
UIWSOM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
TUNCOM
MU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
Touro-NY
WVSOM

You should include DO schools in your application.
For MD schools I suggest all these:
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Wright state
Indiana
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Georgetown
George Washington
Arizona Tucson
For DO schools I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
UIWSOM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
TUNCOM
MU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
Touro-NY
WVSOM
Thank you for the school list. Can you tell me the reasoning for some of them, thought? I'm curious why you chose some. Thank you!

Thank you for the school list. Can you tell me the reasoning for some of them, thought? I'm curious why you chose some. Thank you!

They are schools where a URM Hispanic applicant with a MCAT of 503 could receive an interview. For the MD schools most are in regions with large Hispanic populations. Others are seeking URM applicants (ie: Indiana).