URM sGPA: 3.23 MCAT 506 School List Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daboogiedowndoc

Reaction score
Hi everyone !

I’m a URM applying this cycle. I had an undergrad sGPA of 2.9. Got a M.S after graduation and this sGPA is 3.23. MCAT is a 506. I have about half of my school list finalized but I need some insight on these schools. (Preferably from people who had/have stats similar to mine). Any suggestions on schools not on the list? Preferably schools in the South with a strong minority community (already got the HBCUs down). NY resident so I have those schools on my list too. Thank you !

UNC * really wanna go here but not from NC
Emory
Duke
Wake Forest
Rutgers
Cooper Rowan
FIU
George Washington
Georgetown

Members don't see this ad.

Don't listen to the Debbie downers! As a URM, you have a solid shot at UNC and most of the other schools (except maybe Duke)! Reach out to UNC and explain your situation, and if you have time apply for their URM summer program (think it's UNC MED)! It's free (they pay for housing), and really helps you stand out at their school. Kids with much worse MCAT scores that get in through that program!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @Faha thanks for responding back to me!

Yes, I am an African-American female. My undergrad cGPA was a 3.23. My cGPA in grad school is also a 3.23. I know a sGPA of 3.23 isn't the greatest but I only did poorly in one course in grad school which is bringing me down (4 credit C-) and this was due to some issues I'm planning on explaining in my application. When I retook the course, I got a B+ and other than that one hiccup, 31 of my 35 science credit hours have been all A's and B's (no B-'s). I also have 630 clinical hours, 100 community service hours and a lot of leadership experience and extracurriculars that involves working with inner-city children, the minority community at my school, and I was apart of residence life at my undergrad. Also participated in SMDEP.

Here's my full school list:

School's I'll certainly be applying to:
Meharry
Howard
Morehouse
UMiami
NYMC
Albany
SUNY Downstate
Einstein
Tulane
LSU - New Orleans
University of Tennessee - HSC
University of Alabama
Temple
Drexel

And these are schools I'm debating on adding to my list. I have FAP so I'm trying to bring the list to 20 schools (need to add 6 of them from here but i'm open to suggestions):
UNC * really wanna go here; have family that lives very close by.
Duke
Wake Forest
Emory
Rutgers
Cooper Rowan
FIU
George Washington
Georgetown

Reactions: 1 user
Don't listen to the Debbie downers! As a URM, you have a solid shot at UNC and most of the other schools (except maybe Duke)! Reach out to UNC and explain your situation, and if you have time apply for their URM summer program (think it's UNC MED)! It's free (they pay for housing), and really helps you stand out at their school. Kids with much worse MCAT scores that get in through that program!
thank you! I'll look into their program although things might be on hold with COVID-19. but nevertheless i appreciate the positive energy!! no room for bad vibes here.

You have several state public schools that accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. I suggest these schools:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson