URM Status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigBoy99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What if you apply as a URM but the interview committee doesn't believe you? I am part African and part Asian and I identify with both, but I look more Asian. Should I just go with being Asian because I don't want the committee thinking that I am a lier.

Members don't see this ad.

Check both and have a coherent application that speaks to your representation and dedication to both groups.

No one will look down on you. If your application reflects the above you have nothing to fear.

No the "boost" and being asian do not "cancel out" - youre a person not a nonpolar molecule where race has a dipole.

No there is no significant disadvantage to being Asian.

No you cannot get into medical school just because you check Black.

Yes adcoms take SES into account and anyone that tells you otherwise is a charlattan or ignorant.

Use the search function.

/thread

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
There's a whole forum dedicated to just you on this website!

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you apply as a URM but the interview committee doesn't believe you? I am part African and part Asian and I identify with both, but I look more Asian. Should I just go with being Asian because I don't want the committee thinking that I am a lier.

These days most people know it's possible for 2 people of different races or ethnicities to have kids together. Haha, you don' t have to be in only one group. Doesn't it sound ridiculous to even point that out?

If it doesn't, I might suggest my old company's diversity campaign: celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, Black History Month, etc. with posters or table cards with pictures and bios of people who are part or fully (whatever group is being celebrated).

Allen Pineda of the Black Eye Peas is half Filipino and half Black, why can't you be? It's just ridiculous!

What does SES stand for and thank you all for your responses.