URM students and students from rural backgrounds: Where do you plan on being a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where will you serve?

• I am from a underserved area and plan on returning/staying there

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • I am from an underserved area and have no intention of serving there

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the talk of AA lately I frequently see those in defense of it arguing that the URMs will return to practice in underserved areas. I just want to see how many of you from rural/underserved areas plan on returning to be a physician there.
P.S. I grew up in an extremly underserved area and have no plan of being a physician there.

Members don't see this ad.

Where's the option ' I did not come from an underserved area, but I do plan on working there'? Mark me down for this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Fresno, CA and plan on returning at least to the Central Valley somewhere. It's quite underserved and I can't really see myself raising a family without the benefit of grandparents, aunts, and uncles. Further, the Bay Area and SoCal are extremely expenisve!

I am not from a disatvantaged area, but I plan on working in one:D

I'm white... But I'm from the city and my county is underserved according to AMCAS. So I voted anyways :)

Believe me, I can't wait to get the hell out of Delaware! Not that I wouldn't mind going somewhere else that's underserved; there's just no way in hell I'm coming back here!

I can't wait to leave this polluted, racist, ignorant, small farmer town. This town isn't necessarily underserved, but I wouldn't mind working in an underserved area like near an Indian reservation in Nevada or something.

I am Native American and I do not plan to practice on my reservation because it is too small and I will not be able to see enough patients on a daily basis. I will be practicing in the larger town that is very close to my reservation because this will allow me to provide health care to the two surrounding reservations as well.

According to AMCAS, I live in an underserved area now which is really funny b/c I'm 3 miles from Duke hospital. I would like to leave the Chapel Hill/Durham area of NC. I'm originally from the mountains of VA and NC and I'd like to go back to the rural mountains to practice.

Ideally, I'd like to end up in a large town/small city in the mountains-- I'd still be serving a largely rural population but would be able to have my children in better schools.

I also come from an AMCAS-designated "underserved" area. That's the first time I'd heard Newton, Mass. referred to as underserved. Maybe it's because we have only 4 country clubs? I dunno.

At any rate, if this is an underserved area, I can get used to the sacrifice required to serv the poor, Audi-lacking types who can only afford Mercedes C class...:laugh:

Originally posted by tedstriker
I also come from an AMCAS-designated "underserved" area. That's the first time I'd heard Newton, Mass. referred to as underserved. Maybe it's because we have only 4 country clubs? I dunno.

At any rate, if this is an underserved area, I can get used to the sacrifice required to serv the poor, Audi-lacking types who can only afford Mercedes C class...:laugh:

Yeah, that was one thing i was curious about too. When I put down my birth county of philadelphia, it put the little "u" next to it. But, I mean, does that account for what part of that gigantic several million person expanse of philly one grows up in? I mean, I'm from South Philly, which isn't affluent by any means, but does a kid who grew up in like, Society Hill around Jefferson (really nice neighborhood) get that same designation as someone who grew up in North Philly around Temple (really bad neighborhood) ? Thats weird.

The AMCAS designations are not very specific or accurate. Don't worry about it though, the med schools know what areas really are.

Not only do I plan on returning I want to revamp the whole Emergency System in the city. Especially the Areas where people do not see thier PCP on a regular basis. So yeah I plan on going back and I paln on making a major contribution.

I'm from an underserved, rural area and I don't plan to return
to the place where I grew up. However, I do intend to practice
in an URBAN, underserved area. I wasn't sure which choice to
select....

I plan on practicing near where I grew up, but I have NO idea whether it's underserved or not. Jeez, if Philly is underserved, most parts of TN (my home state) HAVE to be :laugh: