URM where to apply with my stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juice93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gpa 3.5 sgpa 3.4 MCAT 33 ohio resident black/ african 3rd yr Bio and arabic major but might switch arabic to minor
ECs work IT at osu med school. Volunteer at hospital. Won a arabic fellowship contest. Ochem ta/grader. VP and co-founder of an aid to refugees group on campus.algebra tutor.
No research as of yet :(.

Where should I apply? Can I get into OSU with these stats? I'm trying to save money. Also what can I do to boost my EC's this coming year?

Members don't see this ad.

Gpa 3.5 sgpa 3.4 MCAT 33 ohio resident black/ african 3rd yr Bio and arabic major but might switch arabic to minor
ECs work IT at osu med school. Volunteer at hospital. Won a arabic fellowship contest. Ochem ta/grader. VP and co-founder of an aid to refugees group on campus.algebra tutor.
No research as of yet :(.

Where should I apply? Can I get into OSU with these stats? I'm trying to save money. Also what can I do to boost my EC's this coming year?

What's your MCAT score breakdown?

PS 12 VR 10 BS 11
Just got my scores on Tuesday

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a solid score. Yes, you could probably get into OSU with those stats, but it is not guaranteed and I wouldn't want to put all of my eggs in one basket.

To boost your ECs, join a lab as a research assistant and stick with it for at least one year. A lot of people worry about getting publications, but you really don't need to worry about that. All you need to do is forge a good relationship with your PI so that he or she will write you a great letter of recommendation down the line. Second, you need clinical exposure. Have you done any shadowing? I would recommend doing about 50 hours of shadowing at least, and try to divide that up between two or three doctors. Finally, community service. You already co-founded an aid group and that sounds like a great EC, but if you have the time, it couldn't hurt to join an existing volunteering group like Habitat for Humanity, the local Big Brother/Sister program, etc.