US Atlantic Bridge 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The major may account for the low-end GPA, but really thats still on you. Doing a Kin degree wouldn't suddenly have meant you'd be a 4.0. Nor would it mean you would have done better on the MCAT than a 488.

My MCAT was actually 490, I had to double check (still not good though) I had scored higher the first time I wrote it, but then they changed the exam and would not allow me to use my old score.

At this point, I am thinking I will have to re-write again for the third time. I don't like the idea of being out of school for any longer than I have been (1 year since I graduated with my undergraduate). I going to continue to apply to the Caribbean and maybe Australia and with some luck I can make it happen..

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately I have to agree. RCSI's website clearly states they expect a minimum 30 MCAT. Canadian friends I know who are at UCD all had > 30 MCAT. They didn't get into Canada due to their GPAs. I would say 3.2 is low for GPA. If applying to a school without MCAT for 5 or 6 year programs, what will save you for next year is taking courses and getting A+ in them. Take them at night after work.

If you don't want to wait for another year. Apply to Carib now, like right now. You can still go to SGU for this coming fall.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, I think your only shot is either Carib or 6 year UK or Irish programs (in which case I would not release that I have written the MCAT if I were you).
And if you opt to wait one more year and reapply - you MUST continue taking courses at night. Each passing year where you are completely out of school makes you look very very bad to admissions. It sucks for us mature applicants who have to juggle work and school, but if you really want it, you have to prove it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I think your only shot is either Carib or 6 year UK or Irish programs (in which case I would not release that I have written the MCAT if I were you).
And if you opt to wait one more year and reapply - you MUST continue taking courses at night. Each passing year where you are completely out of school makes you look very very bad to admissions. It sucks for us mature applicants who have to juggle work and school, but if you really want it, you have to prove it.

Game plan is to apply everywhere I still can. If not accepted this year, I will try to get a clinical job, so that I can work during the days and take classes in the evening, as well as re-write the MCAT. It is tough trying to take night classes while working shift-work in a hospital.

It is frustrating being older than some residents that I work with, when I am wanting to be in that position myself. As well as I am getting married soon, and basically trying to uproot my wife to a completely different country. Yikes! This Forum has been very insightful though, as sometimes this waiting period can leave you feeling in the dark.

Game plan is to apply everywhere I still can. If not accepted this year, I will try to get a clinical job, so that I can work during the days and take classes in the evening, as well as re-write the MCAT. It is tough trying to take night classes while working shift-work in a hospital.

It is frustrating being older than some residents that I work with, when I am wanting to be in that position myself. As well as I am getting married soon, and basically trying to uproot my wife to a completely different country. Yikes! This Forum has been very insightful though, as sometimes this waiting period can leave you feeling in the dark.

Totally feel your pain! and wish you the best of luck!!

I will be struggling with full time work and a couple more classes this summer/fall. Last resort is SGU in winter admission.
I guess for some of us this is how the cards are played but at least we have lived more, developed better soft skills through work experience, and know ourselves better which I think will ultimately help us succeed in school and as physicians!

GPA 3.2, 250 hours of volunteer, no published research, MCAT 488, and I have been working in an OR level one trauma center for over 5 years as a surgical technician. I am Canadian so I am applying internationally. This is my second time Applying. Thinking I may have to re-write the MCAT and try for a third time...
Unfortunately ABP will not accept these numbers...
Try Australian schools if you don't want to go Caribbean. Their school year starts in February so there's still time.

Totally feel your pain! and wish you the best of luck!!

I will be struggling with full time work and a couple more classes this summer/fall. Last resort is SGU in winter admission.
I guess for some of us this is how the cards are played but at least we have lived more, developed better soft skills through work experience, and know ourselves better which I think will ultimately help us succeed in school and as physicians!

Thanks for your kind words and support! I will be applying to the carribean (I have already applied for some) and I will look at applying to Australia and UK too. Must keep fighting the good fight.

I spoke to ABP last Friday. Here is what I learned:
1. Only FIRST ROUND offers have been sent out for UCD and UCC. Even though some people seem to have heard weeks before others, the person at ABP states they are still all FIRST ROUND.
Second round will come out at end of May - it may be 1 or 2 spots or 10 or none. It is impossible to know and depends on too many factors.
2. Until you hear about a rejection, you can assume you're still in the game. People in USA may be waitlisted and get in to a school off the waitlist in June or July at which time a spot might become open.
3. In terms of MCAT -> 60% on each section is considered a minimum desirable score. If you have a section where you score less than 60%, this is likely why you haven't heard anything or are being rejected. Why Trinity seems to have accepted people with MCATs in the low 20s (as per these forums anyway), is beyond me.
4. In terms of GPA. Your marks in science pre-req courses are most important, so if you have a lower overall GPA (say due to tough engineering courses as part of your program) but your prerequisitite bio, chem, physics grades are good, then this will have higher value in the admission process.

I will assume, if by this point you have heard nothing - you're not really a "competitive applicant" this time around, and the person on the phone said they had an unusually high number of applications this year, making it a more competitive year.
Lastly, for anyone who has been out of school - I have talked to advisors and been told numerous times that schools want to see recent coursework. If you graduated 3 years ago and now are deciding to reapply, you better have been taking some night courses in the last 3 years. If you haven't been doing so, this might be the roadblock in your application. If you're serious about reapplying, I would suggest enrolling in some classes at your local university and doing these while you work. Schools want to make sure you can still study and succeed academically. Some people wonder about this, but honestly for me it took some getting used to being in class again with homework, assignments, labs, due dates. It really is a different mental process than working. Schools won't gamble on someone who can't show that they are still capable of academic success.
Trinity doesn't look at MCATs..

I was lead to believe this same thing.
Summer told me the same thing that TCD can't even see your MCAT since it is not required but who knows.

Got acceptance from RCSI-MUB BAHRAIN . Any one from who accepted RCSI-MUB?

I spoke to ABP last Friday. Here is what I learned:
1. Only FIRST ROUND offers have been sent out for UCD and UCC. Even though some people seem to have heard weeks before others, the person at ABP states they are still all FIRST ROUND.
Only two days ago, ABP said UCC, UCD, and RSCI have issued two rounds of offers for their GEM program. UL has only issued one round of acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the acceptances generally released the same day or do they come in waves ?

FYI in Canada some offers of admission for med school in Canada just recently went out; now students have a couple of weeks to send in their acceptances and deposits. The top candidates likely have multiple offers of admission, as they make their choices, people will move off waitlists in Canada and scoop up any remaining spots. These people might then come off waitlists abroad or give up any spots they already accepted abroad. Obviously there is going to be some time delay to process this stuff. So basically I would say give it until the end of May, early June to hear back. Waitlists might move, and people might get offers back home. I wouldn't give up hope completely for another couple of weeks!

Random but how would you guys rate the Irish schools in terms of best to worst...you can define "best" and "worst" however you like just please explain your reasoning if you don't mind :)

FYI in Canada some offers of admission for med school in Canada just recently went out; now students have a couple of weeks to send in their acceptances and deposits. The top candidates likely have multiple offers of admission, as they make their choices, people will move off waitlists in Canada and scoop up any remaining spots. These people might then come off waitlists abroad or give up any spots they already accepted abroad. Obviously there is going to be some time delay to process this stuff. So basically I would say give it until the end of May, early June to hear back. Waitlists might move, and people might get offers back home. I wouldn't give up hope completely for another couple of weeks!
Well, if any space opens, it will be in single digit. Start getting on plans B, C,... now!

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who received rejections, did you receive them because you asked for an update or did ABP send them automatically?

So interestingly my cousin and I are both applying via ABP. He doesn't have an account here but also has not heard anything at all from any school. He has fairly good stats at 3.7 cGPA with a science degree and MCAT = 30. He helped out with a couple of research projects in the past and doesn't have publications; but has over 1000 hours of health care exposure. He has been working in a hospital as a rehab assistant for 3 years.
Anyone know what ABP looks for?? he applied to all schools but hasn't heard anything. I wonder if being out of school for 3 years with no courses is killing his chances??

So interestingly my cousin and I are both applying via ABP. He doesn't have an account here but also has not heard anything at all from any school. He has fairly good stats at 3.7 cGPA with a science degree and MCAT = 30. He helped out with a couple of research projects in the past and doesn't have publications; but has over 1000 hours of health care exposure. He has been working in a hospital as a rehab assistant for 3 years.
Anyone know what ABP looks for?? he applied to all schools but hasn't heard anything. I wonder if being out of school for 3 years with no courses is killing his chances??

I have a 3.7 GPA with a science honors degree and a 30 MCAT. I've been working in molecular cardiology research laboratory for 2 years and have 2 publications submitted. I also have 11 years of volunteering in a community organization.
I got into UCC GEM first round
Not sure how they are choosing but I don't think it's his stats that negatively impacted his application because we are so similar. I also graduated in 2013 and haven't been in school since.

Hi

Congrats on your acceptance,

I had an interview in Toronto 2 weeks ago too for RCSI-Bahrain. Did you get your acceptance in the mail or email?

I am too terrified to check my mail...i choked up during the interview ...and interviews are really important. I have the grades but not the communication skills....maybe a rejection letter is waiting in my mailbox.

Hi

Congrats on your acceptance,

I had an interview in Toronto 2 weeks ago too for RCSI-Bahrain. Did you get your acceptance in the mail or email?

I am too terrified to check my mail...i choked up during the interview ...and interviews are really important. I have the grades but not the communication skills....maybe a rejection letter is waiting in my mailbox.
Thank you! I completely understand your trepidation. Just do it :). I got my acceptance via email. Good luck to you!

Can anyone recent from Irish med schools confirm about VISA and doing observership and clerkship in the USA if you are from Canada or EU?

I'm from Canada. I recently tried to apply to a couple summer programs in the USA at places where former colleagues of mine had been accepted 3-5 years ago. Some programs are big names that have always taken international students but when I called to confirm, they told me they no longer accept summer students / research students who are not US citizens or permanent residents and will not sponsor any VISA. I'm starting to worry that going abroad might be bad for a Canadian student who is counting on doing some clerkship in the USA There are limited spots in Canada after all and I 've heard enough first hand accounts of bias in Canada towards internationally trained med students that it really turns me off from trying to do clerkship here! After all we will need references for residency from these biased people.

If anyone cares...
I got a rejection email, just 1 hour ago, 12:44 am from RCSI-Bahrain.
Deeply disappointed in myself.

I'm starting to worry that going abroad might be bad for a Canadian student who is counting on doing some clerkship in the USA
You don't have a choice if Canadian med school isn't an option. Once you're going out of Canada, your best chance for residency is the US, so start planning on getting elective rotations in the US. Most Irish students do electives in the US without much trouble. Look at places that accept non-US.
Sorry I don't know about VISA process...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, had my interview on May 8th in Toronto for RCSI-Bahrain with Stephen. I know some people have heard back already but I haven't yet. Hmm. Has anyone else on May 8th not heard back yet?! It's past the 2 week mark :eyebrow:

If anyone cares, Conditional Offer to RCSI-Bahrain based on Completion of 1st year university and proof of IB Diploma, plus approval of academic qualification by Higher council of Bahrain for 6 year program, received today.

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone cares, Conditional Offer to RCSI-Bahrain based on Completion of 1st year university and proof of IB Diploma, plus approval of academic qualification by Higher council of Bahrain for 6 year program, received today.
Congratulations. What is completion of 1 year Uni?. Are you in the 1st year if university degree now?. Can you able to complete 1st year by Sep 16?

Did you apply for the 5 year programs at NUIG?