1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

US Citizen - DMD in Australia

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by choosegoose, Aug 20, 2015.

1. choosegoose

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey, I am looking for some advice-

I am a US citizen and applied to dental schools in the US last year. After two interviews, I received no acceptances. I have a very low undergraduate GPA (around 3.0), but I'm currently working toward a post-bac degree and have higher grades in this program (3.8). I have a lot of volunteer hours and experience, but I scored a 21 on my DAT, so my overall application is still very mediocre.

I was recently accepted to dental school in Australia and was wondering if this is my best chance? I am supposed to complete my post-bac program in June 2016 and should be prepared to apply for 2018 entrance to dental schools. However, given my average application, I am not sure that the post-bac will swing my chances enough for me to be accepted to US schools.

I know it is incredibly difficult for international students to come back and practice in the US. Of course, ideally at some point in my life I would like to return here, but am not opposed to living abroad for the next decade of my life. I should also point out that I am a dual citizen of Canada, so while it is not preferable for me to live there, it is also a viable option once I have obtained my DMD in Australia.

So the big question: should I try my chances with US schools in 2018? Or should I jump on the Australia opportunity and deal with the consequences of a difficult transition back to the US?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. princessdentist

Dental Student
    hi what did you end up doing??