1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

US Citizen - DMD in Australia

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by choosegoose, Aug 20, 2015.

1. choosegoose

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey, I am looking for some advice-

I am a US citizen and applied to dental schools in the US last year. After two interviews, I received no acceptances. I have a very low undergraduate GPA (around 3.0), but I'm currently working toward a post-bac degree and have higher grades in this program (3.8). I have a lot of volunteer hours and experience, but I scored a 21 on my DAT, so my overall application is still very mediocre.

I was recently accepted to dental school in Australia and was wondering if this is my best chance? I am supposed to complete my post-bac program in June 2016 and should be prepared to apply for 2018 entrance to dental schools. However, given my average application, I am not sure that the post-bac will swing my chances enough for me to be accepted to US schools.

I know it is incredibly difficult for international students to come back and practice in the US. Of course, ideally at some point in my life I would like to return here, but am not opposed to living abroad for the next decade of my life. I should also point out that I am a dual citizen of Canada, so while it is not preferable for me to live there, it is also a viable option once I have obtained my DMD in Australia.

So the big question: should I try my chances with US schools in 2018? Or should I jump on the Australia opportunity and deal with the consequences of a difficult transition back to the US?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. princessdentist

Dental Student
    hi what did you end up doing??