US Citizen from abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Forestframes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
Im a US citizen but am currently studying in The American University of Beirut, in Lebanon. The university is ranked 210 globally and best in the region, and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. I wanted to know if i would be considered an international applicant by most medical schools. My Mcat score is 525 and cGPA 3.92 with sGPA 4.0. I am still 19 so i only have one research experience under my belt, focused on transgenic drosophila and cloning (i would like to become a geneticist after attaining an M.D. There aren't much clinical shadowing opportunities here, but i have worked with Syrian Refugees and care providers for the physically challenged on many occasions. Do I have a chance at the top schools? Am i considered an international applicant despite being American?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

1) Im a US citizen but am currently studying in The American University of Beirut, in Lebanon. The university is ranked 210 globally and best in the region, and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. I wanted to know if i would be considered an international applicant by most medical schools.

2) My Mcat score is 525 and cGPA 3.92 with sGPA 4.0. I am still 19 so i only have one research experience under my belt, focused on transgenic drosophila and cloning (i would like to become a geneticist after attaining an M.D.

3) There aren't much clinical shadowing opportunities here, but i have worked with Syrian Refugees and care providers for the physically challenged on many occasions.

4) Do I have a chance at the top schools?
1) You are not an international applicant, even if you don't have an official US state of residence through, say, your parents. And American University in Beirut isn't considered a foreign institution. (See p 24 of AMCAS Instruction Manual https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...d2ffba16bc2/2017_amcas_instruction_manual.pdf )

2) How many years long is the research experience? How many hours total? What evidence of productivity can you list (posters, presentations, publications)?

3) Volunteerism that helps those in need benefits your application. An understanding of how medicine is practiced in the US is expected. A lack of US (or Canadian) physician shadowing and active clinical experience (where you interact with sick people in a helpful way) are likely to be a problem for most US institutions.

4) "Top schools" in the US generally like to see very comprehensive extracurriculars, as well as excellent stats. Besides more than average research, this would include significant peer leadership.

1) You are not an international applicant, even if you don't have an official US state of residence through, say, your parents. And American University in Beirut isn't considered a foreign institution. (See p 24 of AMCAS Instruction Manual https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...d2ffba16bc2/2017_amcas_instruction_manual.pdf )

2) How many years long is the research experience? How many hours total? What evidence of productivity can you list (posters, presentations, publications)?

3) Volunteerism that helps those in need benefits your application. An understanding of how medicine is practiced in the US is expected. A lack of US (or Canadian) physician shadowing and active clinical experience (where you interact with sick people in a helpful way) are likely to be a problem for most US institutions.

4) "Top schools" in the US generally like to see very comprehensive extracurriculars, as well as excellent stats. Besides more than average research, this would include significant peer leadership.
Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive reply. It is greatly appreciated.
My research experience is around 200 hours, and is still ongoing (I was assigned to assist in a Phd thesis) I will be cited as a coauthor but that may take up to a year from now.
I founded a civic engagement Club in my university to promote dialogue between students of different sects, and lessen the tensions that exist due to sectarian strife which exist in the greater Middle East and Levantine region. Organized talks by teo foreign ministers and 4 different trips to refugee camps to provide them with much needed manpower for some of their activites. This has been over 1.5 years.
I shadowed a special needs caregiver in the impoverished south of Lebanon for 40 hours at the Lebanese Wellfare Association for the Handicapped.
I am also a Lebanese national, and have been able to represent the Lebanese National Under-21 Soccer Team in international competition on three separate occasions. I also have a reference for having had attended a soccer trial in A.C. Milan in Italy.
Founded the Mental Health Club in Aub, and currently serve as treasurer, in order to remove the social stigma around mental health services and treatment which exists in Lebanon and most of the region. ~1 year.
Again, i thought it may be worth mentioning that I am still 19 years old, and have been doing as much as i possibly can to improve my ECs. Do you think they are acceptable?
Thank you once again

Members don't see this ad :)
1) My research experience is around 200 hours, and is still ongoing (I was assigned to assist in a Phd thesis) I will be cited as a coauthor but that may take up to a year from now.

2) I founded a civic engagement Club in my university to promote dialogue between students of different sects, and lessen the tensions that exist due to sectarian strife which exist in the greater Middle East and Levantine region. Organized talks by teo foreign ministers and 4 different trips to refugee camps to provide them with much needed manpower for some of their activites. This has been over 1.5 years.

3) I shadowed a special needs caregiver in the impoverished south of Lebanon for 40 hours at the Lebanese Wellfare Association for the Handicapped.

4) I am also a Lebanese national, and have been able to represent the Lebanese National Under-21 Soccer Team in international competition on three separate occasions. I also have a reference for having had attended a soccer trial in A.C. Milan in Italy.

5) Founded the Mental Health Club in Aub, and currently serve as treasurer, in order to remove the social stigma around mental health services and treatment which exists in Lebanon and most of the region. ~1 year.

6) Again, i thought it may be worth mentioning that I am still 19 years old, and have been doing as much as i possibly can to improve my ECs. Do you think they are acceptable?
1) Ideally, [to best appeal to "Top Schools"] you would have two years of research endeavors to report at the time you apply (average being about 1 year for a typical applicant). Being able to report an accepted manuscript or publication would be frosting on the cake. A manuscript in-progress or submitted gains you nothing.

2) Excellent. I think you've covered peer leadership nicely.

3) If this wasn't a physician you shadowed, it would have little place on your application, unless you "helped" in some way, in which case it is Volunteer - Not Medical Clinical if you primarily assisted with acts of daily living, like washing, dressing, and feeding. If, OTOH, you assisted with nursing duties, like catheter care, feeding tubes, wound dressings, and medication administration, physical therapy, it would be Medical/Clinical. To list it, you need a Contact who will attest to your dates and hours, so keep track.

4) This has a place on the application, as teamwork is valued by adcomms.

5) Sounds good.

6) You are good to go with Leadership. Your nonmedical volunteerism is coming along well. Another 1.5 years of research would position you nicely for "top schools". You have yet to acquire the needed physician shadowing or US clinical experience. Do you have relatives in the US whom you could visit over breaks to acquire some of this? Can you volunteer in a general medical clinic or hospital locally as well?

Last edited:
Again, i thought it may be worth mentioning that I am still 19 years old, and have been doing as much as i possibly can to improve my ECs. Do you think they are acceptable?
It belatedly crossed my mind that you might REALLY be asking if being younger than the average applicant would excuse you from having the full range of expected ECs. The answer is No. You will not be discriminated against because of your age, but you will be expected to be just as competitive as the average applicant in terms of the substance and duration of your experiences.

It belatedly crossed my mind that you might REALLY be asking if being younger than the average applicant would excuse you from having the full range of expected ECs. The answer is No. You will not be discriminated against because of your age, but you will be expected to be just as competitive as the average applicant in terms of the substance and duration of your experiences.
Hahaha yupp, was mildly hoping that they would consider my ECs in light of my age. I already applied for this cycle and was complete not long ago, so we'll see what happens. Thank you sincerely for all your help.

Did you apply to any schools below the top 10-15?
Yes Sir,
My full list of completed applications is:
Upenn (reach)
Baylor (reach)
Duke (reach)
Georgetown
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
Dartmouth
Brown

Yes Sir,
Upenn (reach)
Baylor (reach)
Duke (reach)
Georgetown
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
Dartmouth
Brown

For applying so late, that is a pretty small school list...

For applying so late, that is a pretty small school list...
Well actually I also applied to the American University of Beirut Medical School as my primary choice, figured i could always just do well on my steps and have my residency be done in the US. But i wanted to take a chance at the US. Can't hurt to try, and two NON-US students from my university last year got accepted to Johns Hopkins and St. Louis, so maybe there's hope

Well actually I also applied to the American University of Beirut Medical School as my primary choice, figured i could always just do well on my steps and have my residency be done in the US. But i wanted to take a chance at the US. Can't hurt to try, and two NON-US students from my university last year got accepted to Johns Hopkins and St. Louis, so maybe there's hope

Your grades and everything are great.. You should have applied to more US schools and much, much earlier (like July).

Upenn (reach)
Baylor (reach)
Duke (reach)
Georgetown
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
Dartmouth
Brown
I expect Georgetown may find your humanitarian involvement very interesting.
maybe there's hope
There's always hope. And particular strength in a given area of experience has the potential to override the weakness of another, usually expected, area of endeavor.

I expect Georgetown may find your humanitarian involvement very interesting.
There's always hope. And particular strength in a given area of experience has the potential to override the weakness of another, usually expected, area of endeavor.
That's what i figured, maybe being involved with the most pressing humanitarian crisis of the 21st century would be a distinguishing factor on my CV. I'll post here if anything ends up happening.

That's what i figured, maybe being involved with the most pressing humanitarian crisis of the 21st century would be a distinguishing factor on my CV. I'll post here if anything ends up happening.
I'd be happy to hear the progress of your current cycle. Meanwhile, my standard advice to all applicants: stay engaged in activities that are relevant to a good med school application, for the sake of Secondary essays, update letters (where allowed), and in case you need to reapply.

stay engaged in activities that are relevant to a good med school application, for the sake of Secondary essays, update letters (where allowed), and in case you need to reapply.
Do you mean letters of interest or update letters? Should I consider drafting one? what should it include?
And im truly very sorry for taking your time Sir, theres just a lot im not familiar with in regards to premed culture and expectations in the US. You have been exceedingly helpful.

Do you mean letters of interest or update letters? Should I consider drafting one? what should it include?
And im truly very sorry for taking your time Sir, theres just a lot im not familiar with in regards to premed culture and expectations in the US. You have been exceedingly helpful.
I was referring to update letters. Since you just became Complete at your schools, it is premature to consider sending in a letter now. As your application is likely to be at the bottom of the e-pile, you need to give admissions office personnel some time to do an initial evaluation.